U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,785,954 times

Advertisements

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20150318...m/Virginia.htm

This fantasy idea came about in 2001.

If officials were to take hold of this idea of extending Interstate 83 into Virginia, do you think it would get a lot of support? And do you think an extension Interstate 83 into Virginia would have any economic benefits?

And here is information on this fantasy idea for Maryland (https://web.archive.org/web/20150318...m/Maryland.htm), also North Carolina (https://web.archive.org/web/20150318...20Carolina.htm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,638,731 times
There's a proposed I-73 from Roanoke to Greensboro - and who knows if or when it will happen - but it is definitely "on the books" - so seems unlikely they would have a second north-south Interstate so close going from Lynchburg to Greensboro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_73

Old 01-07-2016, 09:03 PM

872 posts, read 1,716,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
There's a proposed I-73 from Roanoke to Greensboro - and who knows if or when it will happen - but it is definitely "on the books" - so seems unlikely they would have a second north-south Interstate so close going from Lynchburg to Greensboro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_73
That logic certainly doesn't hold true in NC. I-73 is a waste of state money, and I think the state was very shortsighted in not continuing to improve US29. The whole of the center of the state is underserved. If one questions the impact that strategic road development has on the economy, just look to NC. The economy there is surpassing VA's and it is growing. I think it is always interesting to hear anti-road folks talk about how new roads are not important to a regions economic growth, but this has been one of NC's key reasons for the expansion of the interstate system within their state. Of course, jobs and economic health aren't the only consideration. If VA had the money and we were all sure that transportation needs will continue to be driven by autos and trucks, it would be a no-brainer. I wonder if NC isn't getting a bit of of control, based on changing habits and patterns. I do wonder if the state will make an effort to make the entire section from Lynchburg to the state line/Danville limited access. There is only about 25 miles that would need work and Lynchburg/Danville might benefit more with that type of connection with the vibrant NC economy. That could be easily completed in four or five years.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:05 PM

238 posts, read 255,392 times
In maybe 30 years it may become a reality. I73 from Roanoke to the NC line(only 50 miles and already a divided highway) has
been held hostage to environmental groups, farmers, land owners for over 30 years and there is still no timeline for construction
as there are no funds for downstate roads. Interstate construction in Va is a major hurdle. I believe it would face impossible odds, especially around the C'ville area.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM

Yes, NC has built some impressive interstates in a short amount of time! I believe VA's economy is suffering now because
of the lack of attention to transportation and the jobs and people moving to NC. How can this state compete with NC?
Maybe not related but did you see where Macys is closing 6 stores in Va, mostly in Hampton Roads, Richmond? We are in
the basement on job growth, especially in Roanoke, Lynchburg, Hampton Roads? Kinda scary!

Old 01-08-2016, 04:55 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,032,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
Yes, NC has built some impressive interstates in a short amount of time! I believe VA's economy is suffering now because
of the lack of attention to transportation and the jobs and people moving to NC. How can this state compete with NC?
Maybe not related but did you see where Macys is closing 6 stores in Va, mostly in Hampton Roads, Richmond? We are in
the basement on job growth, especially in Roanoke, Lynchburg, Hampton Roads? Kinda scary!
VA, as a whole, relies on the military and the federal government for jobs and it's economy. NC doesn't. NC's military towns mostly depend on the military, like Goldsboro and Fayetteville, but the state as a whole, doesn't. Same with federal government jobs. NC doesn't rely on the feds. That's the big difference and is also why NC is kicking VA's ass as far as the economy goes. I'm not saying NC has the best economy in the country, but they're way ahead of VA.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Interstate construction in Va is a major hurdle. I believe it would face impossible odds, especially around the C'ville area.
It already has. VDOT wanted to build a new alignment, Interstate-grade US-29 bypass near Charlottesville, but Charlottesville and Albemarle County raised hell and pretty much killed the project. Lynchburg and the other towns along US-29 were pissed at Charlottesville, since they are the biggest holdup in upgrading US-29. Apparently, sitting in traffic is a better option. Economic development and a safer highway be damned.

Lynchburg leaders continue fight for Charlottesville road project | Local News - WDBJ7.com Central and Southwest VA

Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM

872 posts, read 1,716,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It already has. VDOT wanted to build a new alignment, Interstate-grade US-29 bypass near Charlottesville, but Charlottesville and Albemarle County raised hell and pretty much killed the project. Lynchburg and the other towns along US-29 were pissed at Charlottesville, since they are the biggest holdup in upgrading US-29. Apparently, sitting in traffic is a better option. Economic development and a safer highway be damned.

Lynchburg leaders continue fight for Charlottesville road project | Local News - WDBJ7.com Central and Southwest VA
There were major issues with that alignment and it really wasn't going to accomplish the goal, simply because Albemarle County continues to develop northward. The bypass would not have been "Interstate-grade" either, as the engineering studies had issues with its southern terminus and the grade of the new road as it headed west from the existing US 29.
A new alignment would probably need to follow the US 15 corridor to get any traction with other parties in the state. Meanwhile, VDOT is dumping all or more than all of the money earmarked for the corridor through Cville into projects on US 29 geared to more local use rather than thru traffic. Lesson here??? Avoid doing what should be done and you will get all of your pet projects taken care of! We obviously have issues with statewide strategic planning when a region that lies on a "corridor of national significance" can work to avoid the development of the corridor, and then reap rewards for it.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
VA, as a whole, relies on the military and the federal government for jobs and it's economy. NC doesn't. NC's military towns mostly depend on the military, like Goldsboro and Fayetteville, but the state as a whole, doesn't. Same with federal government jobs. NC doesn't rely on the feds. That's the big difference and is also why NC is kicking VA's ass as far as the economy goes. I'm not saying NC has the best economy in the country, but they're way ahead of VA.
That is one part of the puzzle in why VA is no way competing with NC in job growth. Northern VA runs this state and ALL
monies for transportation, economic development just happens there and enough money comes into the state to pay our bills.
Now, the people who live and work in southern, western VA accept this reality. In other words, VA is a relatively rich state
and it doesnt have to hustle for jobs while NC is a poor state overall, despite growth in the big NC cities. NC growth is uneven
and poverty is a big issue in their rural counties. In Roanoke, where I live I have noticed locally the "economic leaders" dont have
a clue on how to attract new businesses. They keep paying consultants to come up with plans and apparently that satisfies
everyone "someone" is actually doing their jobs. Also, in Roanoke the gurus want to attract more professional people here
and not gritty manufacturing, distribution jobs common in NC although Roanoke has little flat land for such. In my view, VA
better get off its A** and focus on southern Va, due to the decline in coal and realize NoVa is not the economic engine now due
to government budget cuts, especially aimed at the military! One more item. Our Gov is a Northern Virginian and we have
a lopsided General Assembly made of of Northern Virginians. Do we see a pattern here?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That is one part of the puzzle in why VA is no way competing with NC in job growth. Northern VA runs this state and ALL
monies for transportation, economic development just happens there and enough money comes into the state to pay our bills.
Now, the people who live and work in southern, western VA accept this reality. In other words, VA is a relatively rich state
and it doesnt have to hustle for jobs while NC is a poor state overall, despite growth in the big NC cities. NC growth is uneven
and poverty is a big issue in their rural counties. In Roanoke, where I live I have noticed locally the "economic leaders" dont have
a clue on how to attract new businesses. They keep paying consultants to come up with plans and apparently that satisfies
everyone "someone" is actually doing their jobs. Also, in Roanoke the gurus want to attract more professional people here
and not gritty manufacturing, distribution jobs common in NC although Roanoke has little flat land for such. In my view, VA
better get off its A** and focus on southern Va, due to the decline in coal and realize NoVa is not the economic engine now due
to government budget cuts, especially aimed at the military! One more item. Our Gov is a Northern Virginian and we have
a lopsided General Assembly made of of Northern Virginians. Do we see a pattern here?
It would be nice if something like this could happen here.

Public-private partnership locks down land in Triad in hopes of attracting auto plant :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or