U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,608 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi guys

I've got a reckless driving ticket for speeding (91/60) in Williamsburg (James city county). It is my first violation and I have a clean driving record.

I'm a F-1 international PhD student studying at the college of William & Mary.

I just wonder if this will affect my future job application (which is definitely not driving-related) and GC application.

The type of jobs I will possibly apply to relate to science, engineering, technology and so on.

Also, I talked to a related office person in our college about this and she was pretty sure that it will not affect my current student status, funding, and visa status.

I've hired an attorney who recommended me to calibrated the speedometer, to have a driving improvement course and to do a 40-hour community service. Currently I have done all of these things and hope to get a good outcome. But now I really understand how awful it will be if you speed a lot and it is not safe to everybody.

So here is my concern again:

If the outcome is bad, will it affect my job application ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2016, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,558 posts, read 10,852,369 times
Reputation: 5574
Did you ask your attorney all this? If not, why not? But the bottom line is this will not likely affect any future job unless it involves driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 PM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 5,217,637 times
Reputation: 1926
And you already performed 40 hours of community service?

When were cited for driving 30mph OVER the speed limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 12:15 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,608 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
And you already performed 40 hours of community service?

When were cited for driving 30mph OVER the speed limit?
Yes. 2015 December , before Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,068 times
Reputation: 10
It doesn't even show on your criminal record, so what do you think ?

Reckless driving is NOT a criminal offense, unlike DWI.

The difference is this:

A DWI conviction in Virginia is prosecuted under title 18.2 of the Code of Virginia, to wit: Crimes and Offenses Generally.

Reckless Driving, however, is prosecuted under title 46.2 of the Code of Virginia, to wit: Motor Vehicles.

Unlike DWI, reckless driving is NOT reported to the Virginia Central Criminal Records Exchange (CCRE), and therefore will NOT show up on a criminal record check.

Reckless driving IS reported to DMV, and DMV alone.

Reckless driving will only show up on your driving record, and will only remain on your driving record for a maximum of 11 years. Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Please bear in mind that defense attorneys are in business for mostly one reason: to make money from YOUR misfortune. They will tell you things to try and scare you and drive more business their way. Several of them scour the police department's arrest/ticket list each week and will actually send you solicitations in the mail depicting worst case scenarios in an effort to get your business. When you hire them, many of them won't even meet with you until minutes before court is in session. Most of them have multiple clients in several different courtrooms simultaneously.


Anyway , it's a traffic related matter. Affect job application? Not gonna happen in most most most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2016, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg Va.
95 posts, read 150,195 times
Reputation: 121
/\ /\ /\ You are WRONG! check your facts.

Reckless driving is a *CRIMINAL* offense much like DUI, and NOT a traffic offense. 11 years is the
amount of time it will remain on your DMV record, and a judge can use such a conviction against you for sentencing purposes, (in Va.and perhaps other States), if you appear in court for any reason during that time, though most likely it would be for you getting charged with it again. *FOREVER*, is the amount of time it stays on your record, and a cop, lawyer, judge, employer, loan officer, ex girlfriend, or for that matter, anyone can see your record, and perhaps form some judgement, or bias against you.
Now, have a nice day!

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,068 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
/\ /\ /\ You are WRONG! check your facts.

Reckless driving is a *CRIMINAL* offense much like DUI, and NOT a traffic offense. 11 years is the
amount of time it will remain on your DMV record, and a judge can use such a conviction against you for sentencing purposes, (in Va.and perhaps other States), if you appear in court for any reason during that time, though most likely it would be for you getting charged with it again. *FOREVER*, is the amount of time it stays on your record, and a cop, lawyer, judge, employer, loan officer, ex girlfriend, or for that matter, anyone can see your record, and perhaps form some judgement, or bias against you.
Now, have a nice day!

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Sounds like a lawyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2016, 09:43 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,608 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Did you ask your attorney all this? If not, why not? But the bottom line is this will not likely affect any future job unless it involves driving.
Well, I did but it was a typical lawyer's answer, saying how horrible it could be though not that serious. But my immigration specialist told me that this is just a traffic stuff anyway and it won't affect me on job application because most employers do not think it is serious , they are more concerned about something moral, like theft and so on.

I just really want to know if reckless driving is gonna show up on criminal record and if it is a criminal offense.

My summon says I shall appear on General Court ( Traffic ) , not criminal and I never got fingerprinted by the officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg Va.
95 posts, read 150,195 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipLiu View Post
Well, I did but it was a typical lawyer's answer, saying how horrible it could be though not that serious. But my immigration specialist told me that this is just a traffic stuff anyway and it won't affect me on job application because most employers do not think it is serious , they are more concerned about something moral, like theft and so on.

I just really want to know if reckless driving is gonna show up on criminal record and if it is a criminal offense.

My summon says I shall appear on General Court ( Traffic ) , not criminal and I never got fingerprinted by the officer.
You, or your "lawyer"( ? ), should have had this question answered on the first or second day. An honest attorney should never leave a client guessing. The fact that you were consulted, yet still posting questions here leaves me . DUI, and reckless CAN carry the same fines, jail, and criminal records. The only difference is that reckless does not require booking, (arrest, and fingerprints).
BTW, I live here in James City County, and there have been a few times I have approached 80 in a 70 zone in Virginia, (scared myself, yikes), BUT not around here,(I 64 ?). You were doing 91/60, Ya'll need to slow down son! good luck
EDIT; Just food for thought, when an employer receives 100 applications for a couple of job openings, and your application has a check mark next to the question, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?", where will you be on the food chain? Something for your "immigration specialist" LOL

Does Reckless Driving Show Up on a Background Check?

Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 01-29-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2016, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg Va.
95 posts, read 150,195 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Did you ask your attorney all this? If not, why not? But the bottom line is this will not likely affect any future job unless it involves driving.
But the REAL bottom line is that a misdemeanor conviction on your record can/will throw up red flags, delay, or deny your application for a business, realtor, or contractor license in the state of Virginia.
Oddly, they really don't much care if it is over 3 years old. How do I know? BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top