U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:06 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,231,615 times

Advertisements

I read online about the shooting of Dr. Randolph Neal who was walking home from his office around 7 p.m. And another man who came out of his home to investigate the noise. I gather this shooting happened in the Doctor's neighborhood.

I hope Dr. Neal & the other victim recover from this attack.

Most of the threads/posts on City-Data about Danville that I have read are bleak at best. My only experience with Danville has been driving down Rt. 29 heading to Greensboro, NC and stopping at Danville Welcome Center. It is a nice welcome center.

Has Danville become so bad people cannot walk down their own street without risking their life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 AM

793 posts, read 448,643 times
Danville has it's problems for sure. I just hope they can tackle those problems and make those neighborhoods a decent place like they should be.

I also wish the Doctor and other victims there a quick recovery.

It's starting to get to a point where we all need to be armed...

Old 02-06-2016, 07:45 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,914,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I read online about the shooting of Dr. Randolph Neal who was walking home from his office around 7 p.m. And another man who came out of his home to investigate the noise. I gather this shooting happened in the Doctor's neighborhood.

I hope Dr. Neal & the other victim recover from this attack.

Most of the threads/posts on City-Data about Danville that I have read are bleak at best. My only experience with Danville has been driving down Rt. 29 heading to Greensboro, NC and stopping at Danville Welcome Center. It is a nice welcome center.

Has Danville become so bad people cannot walk down their own street without risking their life?
Short story: Yes, it has. If Virginia took a dump, Danville would fall out of it's ass.

Long story: Pretty much, yeah. I've been here since October 2011 so I could be close to a relative who had lung cancer (died last year) and I absolutely can't wait to leave this piece of ****. I'm moving back to North Carolina by this summer and I'll be farting rainbows on my way out the door. Damnville is the worst place I've ever lived. The crime is terrible and Danville has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen in my life. I've driven through Hampton Roads, NoVA and the Triangle region in NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and none of what bad drivers I've seen in those places hold a candle to the @ssholes I've seen on the road here. Anybody that's driven down Piney Forest Road or Riverside Drive knows what I'm talking about. The people here are unfriendly as hell to outsiders, to put it mildly (I'm originally from Goldsboro, NC). As far as that hospital you mentioned, Danville Regional Medical Center goes, I'm sorry about the doctor getting shot, but that hospital is an absolute pit (I was a patient there several times). Not too long ago, a woman was sexually assaulted by a hospital worker while she was a patient. The healthcare in this area is awful. There are no jobs here and no economic development to speak of. Telvista is always announcing that they're hiring in Danville but that's because their turnover rate is higher than Snoop Dogg. That poster in the Hampton Roads forum, Coconut1 (not that he doesn't have valid points here and there), may complain about Hampton Roads alot but I guarantee that if he spent a week in Danville, he won't complain anymore. I could go on, but I think you've gotten my point by now.

UPDATE: Police Obtain Search Warrant After Alleged Assault at DRMC | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WSET

Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 AM

LM117, I hope you escape from Danville soon. Like Coconut1, I do not care for the Hampton Roads region. I dislike living in Newport News (for many reasons) and hope to leave soon. The drivers may be better here, but the widening of I64 on the peninsula is only going to make a bad situation much worse in the short-term. Of late, there is at least one major commuter route shut down most days due to accidents. With that said, it sounds like Danville makes NN look pretty good.

The health care in NN is not the greatest either. The best health care my family has received has been in Charlottesville (mainly Martha Jefferson Hospital) and Augusta Medical Center.

Hopefully, the hospital worker will get his just punishment. If this employee already had a record or history of similar complains, hopefully, they will be found at fault too.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
LM117, I hope you escape from Danville soon. Like Coconut1, I do not care for the Hampton Roads region. I dislike living in Newport News (for many reasons) and hope to leave soon. The drivers may be better here, but the widening of I64 on the peninsula is only going to make a bad situation much worse in the short-term. Of late, there is at least one major commuter route shut down most days due to accidents. With that said, it sounds like Danville makes NN look pretty good.

The health care in NN is not the greatest either. The best health care my family has received has been in Charlottesville (mainly Martha Jefferson Hospital) and Augusta Medical Center.

Hopefully, the hospital worker will get his just punishment. If this employee already had a record or history of similar complains, hopefully, they will be found at fault too.
Thanks. I got relatives that live in Hampton Roads and they always told me that Portsmouth and Newport News were the worst cities in the area. I've never been to Portsmouth but the one time I've been to Newport News was when I stopped at a Hardee's off of I-64 on my way to Richmond from the Eastern Shore in April 2010 and the main headline on their newspaper outside Hardee's was several gang members (mugshots included) being arrested for carrying out shootings and having a hit list as part of a gang initiation. There was some other crime-related crap but I can't remember what it was. I just shook my head, got me a sausage biscuit and left. Lol

Old 02-07-2016, 04:09 AM

I guess it's a tossup between Newport News and Hampton on the peninsula. York County's growth comes from having people work in Hampton & Newport News who do NOT want to live in either place. On this end of the peninsula, as far as public schools go, York County is the best. And yes, Portsmouth has major issues.

Did they catch the criminals that shot Dr. Neal and his neighbor?

Old 02-07-2016, 12:46 PM

96 posts, read 130,823 times
TN Lily,

Here's what I've been told by a couple of former Danvillians....the place really wasn't that bad til the early 90s. But as the textile/tobacco economy started to falter, the city wasn't very proactive. By the late 90s, younger people could see that things were only getting worse.

There are a lot of metros around Danville that are an hour to an hour and 15 minutes away (Lynchburg, Greensboro, Roanoke, Raleigh, Chapel Hill). So, a lot of the younger (and almost all the younger and educated) folks moved out to those places and will visit their parents or family on weekends. The brain drain down there was catastrophic. Nearly everyone who could get out, got out. Now? The place is somewhere no one would want to move. As LM117 puts it: crime is high and there is almost no real economic development. The population is quickly aging and the hospital in town is probably one of the 2 or 3 worst in Virginia. It's sad.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Did they catch the criminals that shot Dr. Neal and his neighbor?
As far as I know, they haven't. I just checked a few minutes ago and I couldn't find any updated info.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAbornandbred View Post
The population is quickly aging and the hospital in town is probably one of the 2 or 3 worst in Virginia. It's sad.
Hell, even one of the pharmacists at a CVS Pharmacy here in Danville warned me to avoid going to Danville Regional Medical Center if I could help it! I couldn't believe it. To hear a pharmacist say that speaks volumes. Unfortunately, she told me that after I had already been a patient there but I thanked her for the advice anyway.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 AM

I am sorry to hear that the situation in Danville is so dismal. Are the local politicians doing anything substantial & potentially successful at bringing jobs back to Danville?

And I hope they catch the two criminals involved in this shooting. Was the neighbor who was also shot seriously wounded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia