U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 593,794 times

Advertisements

I'm sure if you've ever read my post that you know by now how I feel about Richmond. However, I am strongly considering staying. I feel like I will live to regret said choice but I need a change immediately. I also have a 10 year old to consider. I figure if I live in Richmond I can run to DC/NOVA whenever I like. OR! I could go live in NOVA and struggle to survive. But it'll be a change of pace lol. It's just depressing that id have to live my entire life in Richmond, VA.

Signed always a tourist never a resident

VA83
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 06:02 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I'm sure if you've ever read my post that you know by now how I feel about Richmond. However, I am strongly considering staying. I feel like I will live to regret said choice but I need a change immediately. I also have a 10 year old to consider. I figure if I live in Richmond I can run to DC/NOVA whenever I like. OR! I could go live in NOVA and struggle to survive. But it'll be a change of pace lol. It's just depressing that id have to live my entire life in Richmond, VA.

Signed always a tourist never a resident

VA83
I take it you're looking for another city that has great architecture? Some people on here seem to like Roanoke. It will allow you to keep some of that look. May be a bit small and far though.

I wouldn't pick the area, but Virginia Beach, Norflk, Chesapeake, Newport News, or Hampton might be options that wouldn't break the bank.

Not sure how it would be for women, but DC isn't good for guys and Alexendria had some of the most stuck up women I'd ever come across.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I take it you're looking for another city that has great architecture? Some people on here seem to like Roanoke. It will allow you to keep some of that look. May be a bit small and far though.

I wouldn't pick the area, but Virginia Beach, Norflk, Chesapeake, Newport News, or Hampton might be options that wouldn't break the bank.

Not sure how it would be for women, but DC isn't good for guys and Alexendria had some of the most stuck up women I'd ever come across.
Thank you for responding. I'd rather live in Richmond than any of those other cities. I just want to live in a DC suburb. Maybe I can retire to Miami or something idk.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 AM

650 posts, read 407,349 times
I love Alexandria and the area in general, although as we all know it, it is pricier than some outlying locations. Is your job an issue, moving wise? Any benefit in one area vs. the other when it comes to work?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
I love Alexandria and the area in general, although as we all know it, it is pricier than some outlying locations. Is your job an issue, moving wise? Any benefit in one area vs. the other when it comes to work?
Not a work issue really. Just that there's no low income housing in Alexandria and I don't need low income housing in Richmond. I'm a massage therapist with a 10 year old in toe. I can't afford $1700 rent plus utilities plus life comfortably like I can afford rent in Richmond. And I'm not comfortable with roommates.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,087,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySchaeffer View Post
Not sure how this is a contest... One is a primary city of a paltry 217k surrounded by rather uninteresting suburbs consisting of 1.2ish million people, above average crime rates, bland scenery, low incomes and housing prices. In terms of population density in comparison with other major VA powers, it's only slightly above Fairfax county and well below places like Alexandria (10K+), Alrington (9K+), Charlottesville (4.3K) and Norfolk (4.5K).

The other is perhaps the most desirable urban place to live in Virginia outside of DC. The city itself (150K) is the most dense, has the highest income, likely the most "highrises", the best public transit, the best urban grid system,etc,etc,etc. Despite winning in basically every measurable aside from total population, ALX wins on the "extracurriculars" as well: The city exists as part of a Metro area of around 6 million. Get bored in Alexandria one weekend? Well, there's an almost unlimited number of things to do outside of the city as well. Extend that Metro area to a Combined Statistical Area (CSA), and now we're looking at a population of 9 million+ and two major cities. F

The City of Alexandria certainly wins the contest of VA Cities.. not even a legitimate competition. However, Arlington CO gives ALX a run for her money, despite not being a city. Very similar, but with an even higher income and better schools. No surprise that they are so unique compared to the rest of the state, considering they used to simply be referred to as "Alexandria, District of Columbia".

The city of Richmond should be freaking ecstatic that the state capitol is there. Without it, the city would basically be roanoke.
pretty ignorant. And yep, I used to live in Arlington.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:06 AM

998 posts, read 877,835 times
Quote:
Not sure how this is a contest... One is a primary city of a paltry 217k surrounded by rather uninteresting suburbs consisting of 1.2ish million people, above average crime rates, bland scenery, low incomes and housing prices. In terms of population density in comparison with other major VA powers, it's only slightly above Fairfax county and well below places like Alexandria (10K+), Alrington (9K+), Charlottesville (4.3K) and Norfolk (4.5K).

The other is perhaps the most desirable urban place to live in Virginia outside of DC. The city itself (150K) is the most dense, has the highest income, likely the most "highrises", the best public transit, the best urban grid system,etc,etc,etc. Despite winning in basically every measurable aside from total population, ALX wins on the "extracurriculars" as well: The city exists as part of a Metro area of around 6 million. Get bored in Alexandria one weekend? Well, there's an almost unlimited number of things to do outside of the city as well. Extend that Metro area to a Combined Statistical Area (CSA), and now we're looking at a population of 9 million+ and two major cities. F

The City of Alexandria certainly wins the contest of VA Cities.. not even a legitimate competition. However, Arlington CO gives ALX a run for her money, despite not being a city. Very similar, but with an even higher income and better schools. No surprise that they are so unique compared to the rest of the state, considering they used to simply be referred to as "Alexandria, District of Columbia".

The city of Richmond should be freaking ecstatic that the state capitol is there. Without it, the city would basically be roanoke.
Stunningly ignorant, biased and misinformed post. Generalized one-up-man-ship is so sophomoric, really.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:54 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,352,071 times
It just depends on what you like, what you're used to and what you're looking for. Both Alexandria and Richmond have their pros and cons.

Personally, I found Richmond to be out kind of boring (although the VCU area and Fan District are nice) and very small city southern-ish... if that makes sense. Being from outside DC it was a huge adjustment. A lot of the people there grew up there and have all the same friends they grew up with so it's not as easy to meet people as it is somewhere like Alexandria, which is much more transient. But the cost of living is much more reasonable and outside of NoVa, Richmond probably has the best job market in the state.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 AM

435 posts, read 331,356 times
Quote:

Quote:
Hey bozo, the same metric applies to Alexandria.

The city of Alexandria should be freaking ecstatic that the nation's capitol is nearby. Without it, the city would basically be roanoke.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Lol this female is delusional. Nobody outside the DMV knows about Alexandria. And Montgomery county is one of the better DC suburbs to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia