Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM

7,177 posts, read 6,732,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammerist View Post
Frequent and long-time lurker--and almost-never poster--here....

As someone who recently moved to Danville by choice, I feel the need to offer my perspective. I do not mean to argue with other posters' less-positive impressions of Danville, but I am eager for readers to hear a different take on things.

I am a millennial who bought a house in Danville last summer, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time living here thus far. I moved from the Triad region of North Carolina, where I had lived for the past nine years: three in Greensboro, six in Kernersville, always in neighborhood environments. I am self-employed and do the majority of my work online, such that I am able to live anywhere with a good internet connection and reasonable access to an airport. Admittedly, Danville and many other smaller cities like it can be problematic places to go looking for excellent local employment options, but they can be great destinations for the self-employed, telecommuters, and retirees.

I wanted to stay in this general region but was eager to buy the best house in the best setting for my middle-class budget. Contrary to how other posters have evaluated the North Carolina housing market, I found that my purchasing power did not go particularly far in the North Carolina cities. Perhaps if I had been willing to look at more rural areas, I could have found better options. My budget in Greensboro and Winston-Salem could have scored me a very small, very ordinary older house, probably without many updates, in an inconvenient or otherwise undesirable location. It also could have scored me a smallish newer-built house of poor quality in a very far-flung subdivision. In the Triangle, my budget would have gone less far. True, there are houses available to suit most every budget in all of these locales, but location, size, build quality, and updates are not givens at just any price point. I found that I could get a MUCH better house in a MUCH more appealing and convenient setting in any number of nearby Virginia cities--Danville as well as Roanoke and Lynchburg--than in any North Carolina locale that was not a small town.

The people that I have met in Danville have been categorically friendly, helpful, and welcoming. I worried about whether I would easily meet people in a smaller and--as I was warned--more insular place than where I previously lived, but this has not been the case at all. Neighbors have introduced themselves and gone out of their way to help me get oriented to the place and its people. This has been a VERY different experience for me; in eight months living in Danville, I have already met more interesting and gracious people, and been invited to more functions, than in both of my previous multi-year residences combined. I have not felt as though I have had to make any different kind of effort to meet people here, either; it just seems to happen in the course of everyday life and in my choosing to buy in a neighborhood where people are often seen walking, working in their gardens, or visiting with one another. This has been a friendly place, full of born-and-raised as well as plenty of transplants, and all walks of life, that really feels like a community to me. I felt like an outsider in the arguably more urbane and transplant-friendly (I was a transplant there, too, from the Midwest) Triad cities for nine years, struggling to make connections with people who just did not seem interested and never went out of their way to be welcoming. I also feel quite safe, day and night, in every section of town that an average individual would have reason to frequent. There are unsafe areas in every city and town; Danville's are no scarier or more plentiful than anywhere else.

While Danville does not boast a diverse array of amenities in the way that the Triad and Triangle cities do, it should not be expected to, as it is much smaller. However, I have found it to be remarkably convenient for my everyday needs, much as Kernersville and Greensboro were. I need to do far less driving, too, to take care of those everyday needs, as Danville's amenities are not so far-flung AND my housing budget in the Triad kept me from living in a similarly-convenient location. Driving in the shopping districts here is easy and efficient. New restaurants and shops are opening regularly as the downtown area gets redeveloped, and business is going well for these establishments. Excellent Thai and farm-to-table cuisine is available here, on par with the best of the Triad and Triangle. Truly esoteric food requires a road trip, but that is far from an everyday need for most people. My shopping needs are easily met here with occasional trips to Greensboro. I am now closer to a better airport--RDU, just an hour and fifteen minutes away--than when I lived in the Triad, and I have three other usable airports within a reasonable drive (although I do miss the proximity of Charlotte's airport with its many direct flights).

If anyone is considering Danville and is having doubts because of negative forum posts, I welcome you to contact me for a tour of Danville from the perspective of a very satisfied newcomer. There are multiple sides to every story.
Good for you. I stand by what I said about Danville and I guarantee that I'm far from alone in my opinion of it. I'm a millenial also, I'm 26 fixing to turn 27 and I've been here since 2011. I'm fairly certain I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Like I said, if you like Danville, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't expect many people to share the same sentiments about Danville as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 PM

51 posts, read 91,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
ChesterVA, how much of a difference in real estate taxes is there between NC & VA?

I agree with LM117 that you get more bang for your buck in NC. The larger towns/metro areas in NC have lots of housing inventory from which to pick. And I daresay, much better healthcare options.
when i have seen houses i like in NC online and check the taxes (when i can, some are hidden to me) and they are priced similar to what i have now (my current home would be in the low to mid 200s) the taxes are in the $2500 range and mine are less then $2000. i live in a town within a county but only pay county tax. In NC and of course some Virginia localities i see people being hit with double taxes a city/town and a county tax. State income taxes and sales tax are higher in NC then VA.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammerist View Post
Frequent and long-time lurker--and almost-never poster--here....

As someone who recently moved to Danville by choice, I feel the need to offer my perspective. I do not mean to argue with other posters' less-positive impressions of Danville, but I am eager for readers to hear a different take on things.

I am a millennial who bought a house in Danville last summer, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time living here thus far. I moved from the Triad region of North Carolina, where I had lived for the past nine years: three in Greensboro, six in Kernersville, always in neighborhood environments. I am self-employed and do the majority of my work online, such that I am able to live anywhere with a good internet connection and reasonable access to an airport. Admittedly, Danville and many other smaller cities like it can be problematic places to go looking for excellent local employment options, but they can be great destinations for the self-employed, telecommuters, and retirees.

I wanted to stay in this general region but was eager to buy the best house in the best setting for my middle-class budget. Contrary to how other posters have evaluated the North Carolina housing market, I found that my purchasing power did not go particularly far in the North Carolina cities. Perhaps if I had been willing to look at more rural areas, I could have found better options. My budget in Greensboro and Winston-Salem could have scored me a very small, very ordinary older house, probably without many updates, in an inconvenient or otherwise undesirable location. It also could have scored me a smallish newer-built house of poor quality in a very far-flung subdivision. In the Triangle, my budget would have gone less far. True, there are houses available to suit most every budget in all of these locales, but location, size, build quality, and updates are not givens at just any price point. I found that I could get a MUCH better house in a MUCH more appealing and convenient setting in any number of nearby Virginia cities--Danville as well as Roanoke and Lynchburg--than in any North Carolina locale that was not a small town.

The people that I have met in Danville have been categorically friendly, helpful, and welcoming. I worried about whether I would easily meet people in a smaller and--as I was warned--more insular place than where I previously lived, but this has not been the case at all. Neighbors have introduced themselves and gone out of their way to help me get oriented to the place and its people. This has been a VERY different experience for me; in eight months living in Danville, I have already met more interesting and gracious people, and been invited to more functions, than in both of my previous multi-year residences combined. I have not felt as though I have had to make any different kind of effort to meet people here, either; it just seems to happen in the course of everyday life and in my choosing to buy in a neighborhood where people are often seen walking, working in their gardens, or visiting with one another. This has been a friendly place, full of born-and-raised as well as plenty of transplants, and all walks of life, that really feels like a community to me. I felt like an outsider in the arguably more urbane and transplant-friendly (I was a transplant there, too, from the Midwest) Triad cities for nine years, struggling to make connections with people who just did not seem interested and never went out of their way to be welcoming. I also feel quite safe, day and night, in every section of town that an average individual would have reason to frequent. There are unsafe areas in every city and town; Danville's are no scarier or more plentiful than anywhere else.

While Danville does not boast a diverse array of amenities in the way that the Triad and Triangle cities do, it should not be expected to, as it is much smaller. However, I have found it to be remarkably convenient for my everyday needs, much as Kernersville and Greensboro were. I need to do far less driving, too, to take care of those everyday needs, as Danville's amenities are not so far-flung AND my housing budget in the Triad kept me from living in a similarly-convenient location. Driving in the shopping districts here is easy and efficient. New restaurants and shops are opening regularly as the downtown area gets redeveloped, and business is going well for these establishments. Excellent Thai and farm-to-table cuisine is available here, on par with the best of the Triad and Triangle. Truly esoteric food requires a road trip, but that is far from an everyday need for most people. My shopping needs are easily met here with occasional trips to Greensboro. I am now closer to a better airport--RDU, just an hour and fifteen minutes away--than when I lived in the Triad, and I have three other usable airports within a reasonable drive (although I do miss the proximity of Charlotte's airport with its many direct flights).

If anyone is considering Danville and is having doubts because of negative forum posts, I welcome you to contact me for a tour of Danville from the perspective of a very satisfied newcomer. There are multiple sides to every story.
I very much want to thank you for writing this because it is related to something i was thinking of today while delivering mail in Richmond. Richmond Virginia has a horrible reputation for crime and murder, in fact at one time it was one of the highest rated on the list of places to be murdered. if you look at it's stats , even now on City Data's page for Richmond, you would think it were one of the worst places to live. Well I have lived in Richmond and now live 20 minutes south of it and Richmond is a glorious urban cosmopolitan city and yes there is crime in very specific neighborhoods , the same type of places where there is crime in all cities. the crime rate certainly hasn't affected Richmond's desirability one bit. the homes i deliver mail to are WAY out of my price range ($300,000 to $800,000) and sell many times IN ONE DAY ! It is so easy to hear about crime rates, one person's negative experience, etc and cross something off a list. i love hearing all sides and thank you for presenting another side of Danville. Danville , South Boston and Martinsville have homes that would be triple the price in Richmond. I may go to them and hate them but i will give them the chance.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,807,793 times
South Boston has decent emergency care. One my VA relatives (who does not live in South Boston, but is in the same county) had to visit the ER last month, and was put through every test imaginable before being accurately diagnosed as suffering from kidney stones. Not that my relative was overcharged or overtested - the ER docs were just very, very thorough.

As others here have noted, Duke is certainly the go-to place as a major research center. I've had other relatives who sent there for tests, diagnoses, and treatments.

South Boston has had a modest cultural renaissance in recent years, with The Prizery and the Chastain Theatre, the history museum, the public library, and more. Concerts, plays, etc. are given regularly here.

But South Boston is still far from what it was in its tobacco-fueled heyday - the Golden Leaf is no more. Still, there are good, character-filled restaurants there and in nearby Halifax, and beautiful historic homes and churches in both towns. Golf and swimming continue to be popular summer sports, and the best Brunswick stew in Southside Virginia can be found in these parts.

One can make a good life in Halifax or South Boston, I expect. Personally, I'd have to get out of town a fair amount to avoid cabin (or small-town) fever...

Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
South Boston has decent emergency care. One my VA relatives (who does not live in South Boston, but is in the same county) had to visit the ER last month, and was put through every test imaginable before being accurately diagnosed as suffering from kidney stones. Not that my relative was overcharged or overtested - the ER docs were just very, very thorough.

As others here have noted, Duke is certainly the go-to place as a major research center. I've had other relatives who sent there for tests, diagnoses, and treatments.

South Boston has had a modest cultural renaissance in recent years, with The Prizery and the Chastain Theatre, the history museum, the public library, and more. Concerts, plays, etc. are given regularly here.

But South Boston is still far from what it was in its tobacco-fueled heyday - the Golden Leaf is no more. Still, there are good, character-filled restaurants there and in nearby Halifax, and beautiful historic homes and churches in both towns. Golf and swimming continue to be popular summer sports, and the best Brunswick stew in Southside Virginia can be found in these parts.

One can make a good life in Halifax or South Boston, I expect. Personally, I'd have to get out of town a fair amount to avoid cabin (or small-town) fever...
actually I visited South Boston just yesterday and looked at 5 homes. a few were very beautiful, a few were a mess but the residential sections are a bit too mixed for me, the gorgeous homes are very close to the dumpy ones. I also felt the prices were way too high, while one home just recently came on the market at $329,000 (who pays that much to live in South Boston?) the others had all been on the market from 1 year to 4 years. It's an Ok town but it got crossed off my list yesterday. Thank you for your response.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,807,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterVa View Post
actually I visited South Boston just yesterday and looked at 5 homes. a few were very beautiful, a few were a mess but the residential sections are a bit too mixed for me, the gorgeous homes are very close to the dumpy ones. I also felt the prices were way too high, while one home just recently came on the market at $329,000 (who pays that much to live in South Boston?) the others had all been on the market from 1 year to 4 years. It's an Ok town but it got crossed off my list yesterday. Thank you for your response.
Take a look in Halifax, just up the road. You might find your dream home there, and neighborhoods are more consistent. The Mountain Road area and nearby streets are gorgeous, if you like traditional architecture, big yards, and lots of trees.

If a house has been on the market for over a year, obviously the asking price is unrealistic. Housing costs should be substantially less in this area, unless you are interesting in a perfectly preserved large historic house with updated utilities, baths, and kitchen, in a great area. Those do exist, and their prices reflect their quality, even in Halifax County!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Take a look in Halifax, just up the road. You might find your dream home there, and neighborhoods are more consistent. The Mountain Road area and nearby streets are gorgeous, if you like traditional architecture, big yards, and lots of trees.

If a house has been on the market for over a year, obviously the asking price is unrealistic. Housing costs should be substantially less in this area, unless you are interesting in a perfectly preserved large historic house with updated utilities, baths, and kitchen, in a great area. Those do exist, and their prices reflect their quality, even in Halifax County!

thank you, i will take a look !

Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,456,406 times
Most of Mecklenburg County is pretty rural. South Hill is more like South Boston but I'm pretty sure South Hill is even smaller. For some amenities, you might even have to drive down to Raleigh/Durham. I know people from that part of Virginia go to Southpoint Mall in Durham or Crabtree in Raleigh because they're the closest. The Research Triangle is closer than Richmond, actually. People also fly out of RDU in that part of Virginia. However, after reading your description, this area does seem like a good fit. At the same time, don't be surprised if you feel pretty isolated. I'd recommend a smaller town closer to Lynchburg, because a town like Chase City truly feels borderline "middle of nowhere." Don't look closer to Danville, though. Danville could give Petersburg a run for its money as the worst city in the state. Still, if you're not too picky, I'm sure South Boston or South Hill will offer the amenities you'll need.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 AM

4,532 posts, read 6,222,811 times
"Most of Mecklenburg County is pretty rural"....yes indeed, and shopping local can be frustrating....and expensive. I'd rather have a root canal than shop in any of the 3 Food Lion stores close to me...expensive, and a poor/wilted/expensive selection of produce.
For better selection/pricing I will drive to Danville, Henderson, or to Raleigh/Durham. Fortunately, I have the option to travel...a good portion of rural residents are on a fixed income, and they stay home to shop....and pay dearly for that privilege.
Shopping and employment aside, we have found Mecklenburg county to be almost ideal for our laid back lifestyle....friendly neighbors, quiet town, close to the lake. If I were looking for something closer to shopping, I would look at Danville (I know, I know), South Boston, or South Hill, in that order....or Roxboro, Oxford, Hillsborough, NC areas, not within any of the city limits, but close enough to take better advantage of shopping bargains.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM

7,177 posts, read 6,732,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Don't look closer to Danville, though. Danville could give Petersburg a run for its money as the worst city in the state.
This! The only advantage Petersburg has that Danville doesn't is less traffic...or at least it's a hell of a lot easier getting about. Danville, being no bigger than it is, has terrible traffic, especially Piney Forest Road (from VA-41 Franklin Turnpike to where it becomes Central Boulevard) and Riverside Drive. Some of the shopping centers are hell trying to get out of. Trying to leave the Target shopping center is a good example. Good luck trying to make a left turn onto Holt Garrison Parkway. The roads are beyond capacity and the bat**** crazy drivers don't help matters, either. I don't claim to be perfect, but damn, the **** I've seen... I don't regret moving to be closer to my relative when he had lung cancer, but ever since he passed away a few months ago, I can't wait to leave this ****hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia