Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about New Castle in Craig County? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Also, what about Paint Bank in the same county?

I've done much research and think it will be a great place to check out in June when I "in person" view places I think I'd like to live to escape the hot summers in Texas.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by KewGee; 11-22-2006 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: added another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 05:13 PM

Hey no replies. Does that mean no one wants to live there? That would be good because I want to go where no one else does.

Seriously though, if anyone can tell me anything first-hand about the area, I'd be much obliged.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM

73 posts, read 474,889 times
I think no replies because there aren't many people there. My fiance and I might look into the area when we move to the Roanoke area, but it seems a bit too far from downtown Roanoke for us. I don't know much about the area firsthand, but I may visit it within the next couple of months as we check out the whole area north of the city. In the meantime, if you find out anything before I do, update this thread! (We're also looking at going where few people are. After living in Va. Beach for six years I'm going nuts looking at people all the time!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleigh View Post
I think no replies because there aren't many people there. My fiance and I might look into the area when we move to the Roanoke area, but it seems a bit too far from downtown Roanoke for us. I don't know much about the area firsthand, but I may visit it within the next couple of months as we check out the whole area north of the city. In the meantime, if you find out anything before I do, update this thread! (We're also looking at going where few people are. After living in Va. Beach for six years I'm going nuts looking at people all the time!
I thank you kindly for your response.

Yes, I know there aren't many people in New Castle itself but I thought maybe there were many out there some place who would know something about the area. Maybe it's a place that won't be overrun with people in my lifetime as so many places in NC are already getting that way, places in which I was interested but not after reading some of these posts. It seems everyone is flocking there.

I don't plan on going until next June so you'll have probably have some information before I do. I just checked on the distance from Roanoke to New Castle and it's a little over 18 miles "as the crow flies." That's about right for me since driving would make it a little bit farther away.

I know what you mean about going nuts looking at people all the time. I work with junior high students and lots of faculty and administration and as some say, "The more I'm around people, the more I like my dogs."

I'm looking forward to hearing from you after you two get back from "scoping out" the area.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 AM

97 posts, read 616,292 times
Default New Castle

Sorry no one has replied to your post, I doubt many people there know about the internet! Seriously though, it is rural which I think is great but your 18 miles to Roanoke will be about 30 miles via Rt. 311 @ 45 mins. The road is 55mph and its fun to actually try to go 55 the whole way due to traffic and curves. You are just as close to Blacksburg from New Castle. It actually is a beautiful place to live, ontop of the blue ridge and the property values are still actually reasonable. If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love it. From Roanoke, maybe I can throw out a few other ideas for remote, but convienent places from Roanoke to check out. All of these listed are about 15-25 minutes from downtown.

The Coopers Cove/ Mt. Pleasant area (SE Roanoke Co.)

Bent Mountain (SW Roanoke Co.)

Shawsville

Troutville (Botetourt Co.)
"Fun Castle" or Fincastle, VA

Montvale (Bedford Co.) - Bedford co. is recently overpriced due to Smith Mountain Lake and location between Lynchburg & Roanoke.

Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Sorry no one has replied to your post, I doubt many people there know about the internet! Seriously though, it is rural which I think is great but your 18 miles to Roanoke will be about 30 miles via Rt. 311 @ 45 mins. The road is 55mph and its fun to actually try to go 55 the whole way due to traffic and curves. You are just as close to Blacksburg from New Castle. It actually is a beautiful place to live, ontop of the blue ridge and the property values are still actually reasonable. If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love it. From Roanoke, maybe I can throw out a few other ideas for remote, but convienent places from Roanoke to check out. All of these listed are about 15-25 minutes from downtown.

The Coopers Cove/ Mt. Pleasant area (SE Roanoke Co.)

Bent Mountain (SW Roanoke Co.)

Shawsville

Troutville (Botetourt Co.)
"Fun Castle" or Fincastle, VA

Montvale (Bedford Co.) - Bedford co. is recently overpriced due to Smith Mountain Lake and location between Lynchburg & Roanoke.

Good Luck!
Thanks jballa for responding to the post with some good information. I'll check out the places you mentioned.

I figured that mileage listed on the site I checked from Roanoke to New Castle was a bit short of the actual.

I don't like myspace but for the heck of it, I put in New Castle's zip code to see if anyone from New Castle was on that site. They actually are so I guess internet is available. I hope it's high-speed and not dial-up only.

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 14,132 times
amjb,
i am very familiar with craig county... my mother was born and raised in new castle and i spent most summers there... its very quiet, no stop lights in fact, yet not far from cities like salem, roanoke and blacksburg... to get to salem/roanoke, you must climb a steep mountain at catawba valley... but even with the mountain climb, its still only about 1/2 hour from the city... also, theres an awesome home cooking restaurant in catawba called the homeplace... new castle/craig county feels very secluded, and there is not alot of growth... bigger houses there are not cheap but small to medium are affordable... summers can get quite warm and humid but if you have a mountain nearby, it may block the heat from blasting you... winters are not too bad, not much snow east of the mountains...
new castle has 1 large grocery store, a large high school, couple of gas stations... no fast food or real restaurants to speak of...

Old 12-04-2006, 01:04 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Default New Castle Living

New Castle is a very small place up in the mountains. The drive up the mountain is spectacular. I know a lot of red bloodied southern guys go there to hunt turkey and deer in season. Lots of outdoor type establishments up there like taxidermists, fish/tackle places. I doubt if a lady would like it there.
Its great for a guy who likes the outdoors!! Its not a tourist destination and I think the only thing up there is a shooting range open to the public. If you have seen the movie "Deliverance" maybe you can get some feel for New Castle.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidL View Post
amjb,
i am very familiar with craig county... my mother was born and raised in new castle and i spent most summers there... its very quiet, no stop lights in fact, yet not far from cities like salem, roanoke and blacksburg... to get to salem/roanoke, you must climb a steep mountain at catawba valley... but even with the mountain climb, its still only about 1/2 hour from the city... also, theres an awesome home cooking restaurant in catawba called the homeplace... new castle/craig county feels very secluded, and there is not alot of growth... bigger houses there are not cheap but small to medium are affordable... summers can get quite warm and humid but if you have a mountain nearby, it may block the heat from blasting you... winters are not too bad, not much snow east of the mountains...
new castle has 1 large grocery store, a large high school, couple of gas stations... no fast food or real restaurants to speak of...
This place sounds wonderful too me. The quieter and more secluded the better. I can't wait to go up there next summer.

One thing for sure, I can't believe it would be anywhere near as hot and humid as it is in Texas.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
New Castle is a very small place up in the mountains. The drive up the mountain is spectacular. I know a lot of red bloodied southern guys go there to hunt turkey and deer in season. Lots of outdoor type establishments up there like taxidermists, fish/tackle places. I doubt if a lady would like it there.
Its great for a guy who likes the outdoors!! Its not a tourist destination and I think the only thing up there is a shooting range open to the public. If you have seen the movie "Deliverance" maybe you can get some feel for New Castle.

I've not seen the movie "Deliverance", but I can just picture in my mind that spectacular drive to New Castle.

No tourists sounds wonderful; I want to go some place where it isn't going to grow like crazy and get tons of people moving in. From what you say, that isn't going to happen. Peace and quiet and serenity.......heaven!!

I think I would like it but one thing I don't like is if I have to hear a bunch of hunters always shooting off their guns. I'll be sure and check that out when I visit.

Some place I read about an airstrip there. Do you know anything about it?

If I make a big move at my age, I'm going to be extremely picky which could drive some people crazy.

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia