U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,424,168 times

Advertisements

To respond to the best/worst counties threads i figured on doing a best and worst independent city thread.

My nominees:

Best City: Chesapeake (great schools, close to everything, great looking)

Worst City: Manassas Park (no city in VA manages to do less with more, Manassas residents bash it for crying out loud)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM

261 posts, read 1,157,762 times
I think one would be remiss not to mention Martinsville in the worst city category. That's not to take away from people who live there (I like the hardworking people there), but the city is dying on the job front, and there's just not a lot of opportunity there. And it's even losing what little bit of quaitness it may have possessed.

As for best city, that's a tossup with so many good candidates. Chesapeake probably would get my vote for "best," though there are others that I actually like better.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 PM

358 posts, read 1,320,272 times
Chesapeake functions more like a suburb than a true city....the "cities" in Va to me are along the lines of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Richmond, Roanoke, C-ville, Newport News (although NN has alot of suburban elements), Alexandria, etc

Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,804 times
Worst city: Emporia

Best independent city in VA: Alexandria

Arlington really functions like a city but within a county government framework. If it were an actual city, I would say Arlington would be the best.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM

232 posts, read 1,600,408 times
Haha... I would say Martinsville or perhaps Danville for worst. Again, nothing whatsoever about the character of the people.. .lots of good hardworking people. The cities, however are absolutely uninspiring. They have both been devastated by loss of jobs through outsourcing and a failure of city leaders to plan for things like that. There is quite a resistance to change as well.

Emporia... another place that doesn't have much to like.

Best ---- I'm very partial to Roanoke, but there are some very nice cities. Abingdon has lots of charm and character. Of the coastal cities, i'd have to say that i like Norfolk. Many people would laugh at that, but this place is absolutely loaded with character. Lots of history as well.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,424,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Worst city: Emporia

Best independent city in VA: Alexandria

Arlington really functions like a city but within a county government framework. If it were an actual city, I would say Arlington would be the best.
if Alexandria was not part of NoVA (which i totally despise) i'd put it up there with Chesapeake.

I wouldn't put Arlington in the best or worst category. Nicely planned city (just NOT for me.) Same thing with my hometown Hampton, which is small-town charm in a mid-sized city but the City government is really in serious need of an overhaul.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 PM

3,036 posts, read 7,400,179 times
Best: The City of Fairfax. It still has that small town charm, civic support, etc, and it's located right in the middle of Fairfax county.

Worst: who knows

Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 57,260 times
Default ok this thread is dumb but here's my 2 cents

Best independent city:

Charlottesville - it's surrounded by Albemarle county but is politically independent.

Pros:

UVA adds diverse, enlightened population
Small town charm with some big city amenities - shops, restaurants, etc.
Beautiful surroundings in the nearby mountains and rolling farmlands
College sports
Good concerts, bars, nightlife

Cons:

Very expensive for a small town (because of all the pros listed above)
The ultra-rich liberals are a little much. The hippies are fine.

Worst independent city:

Hopewell

Pros: Riverfront

Cons: all beat up looking and pretty rough

I know that Martinsville and Danville are pretty depressed, but at least they are in naturally pretty parts of the state. Martinsville still has the raceway and Danville is actually starting to re-emerge from the ashes (albeit, slowly)

Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM

20 posts, read 52,246 times
I vote Richmond as the best City, Richmond is not only the capitol of the state, but the center of so much more. its the geographical center, the people are small town friendly, and you have all the modern amenities of a big city. The city is loaded with history, and because its central to the state you can reach nearly every populated corner in 2 hours, including Washington, DC a true world city. the city has a lot of problems, such as worn infrastructure, and endless homeless people, but the city government is actually pretty on top of fixing bad infrastructure and revitalizing areas. this is definitely a city on the verge of prominence in Va.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 12,376 times
Stay away from newport news hampton norfolk area
scared to get out and go into 7-11
did not even want to roll down my window to order at wendy's
police officers at area hospitals manning the entry of visitors
at the hospitals cant get in with out id cop said drs and nursed
were being threatened......scary thats all when people approch car at
red lights begging for money or in the parking lots of shopping centers
police need to enforce laws on this
newport news is totally out of hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia