U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 AM

16 posts, read 43,973 times
Default slums

Lynchburg is extremely safe but does have some rougher areas in the inner cities. It probably depends on what you are used to. Within the city limits I would say there are some "economically depressed" areas that have some crime - mostly petty stuff, which many people who grew up in the suburbs or nicer areas assume are "very dangerous areas". 50% to 2/3 is an extreme exaggeration IMHO. If you have ever lived in any larger city than there is nothing there that is out of the ordinary, and actually it is extremely safe as a whole. This is Virginia, if you don't like rednecks and/or black people scare you you should probably look at another state. Also, if you are looking for vibrant nightlife go to another city. Charlottesville, Roanoke, & Richmond all have alot more going on. For families and cost of living I think Lynchburg is a great spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 AM
j1n

1,191 posts, read 2,720,447 times
According to the stats, Roanoke has more violent and property crime than Lynchburg.
The "bad areas" of Roanoke are really more "run down" than "slum". I relo'd here from the NYC/NJ area, and compared to what we had up there, the "bad" areas of Roanoke are practically laughable! So I assume that the "bad" areas of L-burg would also be more "run down" than truly "dangerous".

Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM

763 posts, read 1,242,923 times
Yes that 50% plus thing is pure nonsense. Yes there are many older homes in town--nearly all were built prior to the 1970's except some in-fill projects or on the edge of town. But most are very well built brick homes still in good shape. Only the older frame and very old brick homes just south of downtown approach being real slummy. Areas adjacent o the good areas are more likely to be undergoing rehab now than declining. Get a realtor and have them tour the neighborhoods with you.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
Don't do it! Find a "real" univerisity to go to. Been here 3 years and have only made a few friends. Never, ever had this problem before. I've lived in many places in my life but the clan mentality here is brutal. Try talking to some people and they have this blank stare. Very strange. Never have I seen so many sour-puss faces as here. You WILL be bored to tears. I guarantee it. Can't wait to get out of here! Better to go to Richmond or Roanoke.

Last edited by Galateea; 03-23-2009 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: spelling due to chemo brain

Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,960 times
Not sure where the "50% or 2/3 slum" came from, but if you want to look at facts and figures try this page on the census bureau:[url=http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/51/51680.html]Lynchburg city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau[/url]

Incomes may be lower in Lynchburg than in other parts of the state, but so is the cost of living. I mirror all the positive quotes about Lynchburg. It's a great place to live and no one person or organization runs it. It's family friendly too. If you want more info on the crime statistics (which are very low), call the Police Department directly and they'll be happy to give you that information. Check out the Lynchburg Govt' web site for all that type of info at [url=http://www.lynchburgva.gov]City of Lynchburg : Home[/url]

Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 PM

644 posts, read 770,636 times
I'm not sure why you think that you have an axe to grind, Galateea. It is not the fault of Lynchburg or LU that you have a hard time finding friends. By the way, why would you choose to disparage Liberty when you can't spell "university?"

Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 AM

506 posts, read 845,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHUNT View Post
Not sure where the "50% or 2/3 slum" came from, but if you want to look at facts and figures try this page on the census bureau:Lynchburg city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Incomes may be lower in Lynchburg than in other parts of the state, but so is the cost of living. I mirror all the positive quotes about Lynchburg. It's a great place to live and no one person or organization runs it. It's family friendly too. If you want more info on the crime statistics (which are very low), call the Police Department directly and they'll be happy to give you that information. Check out the Lynchburg Govt' web site for all that type of info at City of Lynchburg : Home
Is it possible that different people probably have different opinions on Lynchburg?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Is it possible that different people probably have different opinions on Lynchburg?
Facts trump opinions

Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 AM

134 posts, read 207,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galateea View Post
Don't do it! Find a "real" univerisity to go to. Been here 3 years and have only made a few friends. Never, ever had this problem before. I've lived in many places in my life but the clan mentality here is brutal. Try talking to some people and they have this blank stare. Very strange. Never have I seen so many sour-puss faces as here. You WILL be bored to tears. I guarantee it. Can't wait to get out of here! Better to go to Richmond or Roanoke.
You're right on! People will help you out but when you try to mingle and make friends ya run into a shut out.

It's called CLICK CLICK CLICK!! Ya gotta be born and raised here to be accepted. Could take ya years just to build a small circle of friends. See TheJoe is lucky he travels a lot so he gets out of the town.

Check this, I used to hang out in this bar with a small group of guys, couple of them born and raised in L-Burg. Well on the nights it's just me and the L-Burg boys, neither of them say a word to me. Get the blank stare and a one / two word response when I try to engage them in conversation!!! DUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!

I think it's the Appalaichian culture myself. Hatfield and McCoy's!!!

Plus the town's got such a nasty rap because of Falwell nobody progressive wants to move and settle here!!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Maybe TheJoe and Galateea need to get together. Some people just have a hard time fitting in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia