U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM

90 posts, read 287,967 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My Wife and I are considering a move to Lynchburg, VA. We are both in our early 30's and we have three boys (ages 9, 7, & 2). We are christians and we are also quite conservative politically, however we have a strong independent streak and are not big fans of the Republican Party (it's a lot to get into).

I will be seeking employment as a pharmacy tech and will also be attending Liberty University to finish my degree. My Wife will be looking to catch on with a dentist as she currently manages the office of a large dental practice in Riverview, FL.. She too would like to look into furthering her education in Lynchburg at some point.

We are looking to rent for about 6 months to a year prior to buying so that we can get a feel for the market. Our absolute #1 priority here is safety as we have the children to consider.

Lastly, we would be coming from Florida and my Wife is REALLY looking forward to finally having four true seasons!

So how do we stack up in terms of a family like ours "fitting in" and making a nice, peaceful life for ourselves as well as also finding what we need in Lynchburg, VA?

I thank you all very much for any input you might have for us, and we look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:55 PM

1,540 posts, read 3,989,597 times
Smile try Roanoke

Personally I think the Roanoke area would work better for your lifestyle. I dont live in Lynchburg, and dont know a whole lot about it. But I will say that the Fallwell crew runs the town (or so that is what I heard). Again I dont know how true this is. I think in terms of quality of life.. Roanoke is a better choice. Roanoke has more to offer and costs less. Roanoke is closer to the mountains whereas Lynchburg is more of hills. Roanoke also has great schools and you can pretty live your life the way you want no one seems to push their beliefs down your throat. If you have any questions about Roanoke let me know.. I havent been here that long (almost a year) but I love it here!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM
j1n

1,237 posts, read 4,137,687 times
I think for what you describe in your post, you might be really happy in Lynchburg. I'm assuming you've done your homework and found that Lynchburg's cost of living, job prospects/availability in your field, suitable housing availability, etc all jives with what you are looking for? I think your beliefs and conservative leanings will fit in well there. I don't believe that your political stance would (or should) figure into the equation as it's a pretty personal thing. I essentially agree with what's been said about Roanoke as well...great place. But if you are definitely going to be attending Liberty, it would be super convenient to live in Lynchburg. You might also consider Bedford County (lies between Roanoke and Lynchburg) if you are open to some more potentially rural living. You might find the housing cheaper out there as well...as opposed to being right "in town". And it would put you nicely between Lynchburgand Roanoke and all of their combined amenities.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM

925 posts, read 2,132,436 times
The Falwell crew far from runs the town and Liberty had some major run-ins with the city over various expansion plans for LU over the years. Actually Lynchburg is cheaper than Roanoke for similar homes, has better city schools and much lower crime rate. It has fewer shopping and cultural selections but the number is growing rapidly.
Jobs can be tough. Even medical jobs can be hard to get for newbies to the area. I would not assume you will easily get one even with a good resume. My wife had a long resume of medical work and it took a good six months to find something. I also enjoyed being closer to the C'ville area and major cities such as Richmond and DC.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 PM

42 posts, read 109,219 times
I second badger74's opinion the LU and Thomas Road Baptist Church (TRBC) does not run the city. There are many residents of the city that keep a weary eye on them and sound an alarm when they try to circumvent city codes and laws. The city is currently in negotiations with them about additional buildings on campus.

The area residents are able to enjoy some of the features offered by LU. They have an ice skating rink that is open to the public on certain nights. Not everything they do is a ploy to convert you to their beliefs.

Lynchburg is known as the City of Churches with just about every kind of religion being represented.

Lynchburg, being a Virginia City, is independent of the surrounding counties. It is my understanding that Virginia is the only state that allows this. That being said, there are three counties that surround Lynchburg. Amherst, Bedford and Campbell counties all have excellent bedroom communities. Housing is available in every price range and design imaginable. There are condos, apartments, mansions, trailer courts and townhouses available.

I have lived in and around Lynchburg for 65 years and I have never seen such a growth in housing as in the past 5 years. The western side of Lynchburg boarders Bedford county and the Forest area has some of the largest homes in the area.

There are areas as in any city that visitors should be aware of the surroundings and be alert to possible dangers, but you have this in large and small cities everywhere.

I have a 27 month old grandson and we have plenty of places to go for adventure and recreation in Lynchburg.

There are several parks; three of the best know are Miller Park, Riverside Park and Peaks View Park. Each has walking paths and playground equipment. All are well patrolled and maintained.

There is a bike/walking trail that follows the old Norfolk and Western roadbed. I believe it is now over 10 miles long with various spots to get on and off.

Lynchburg is close to Appomattox, Peaks of Otter, National D-Day Memorial and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Lynchburg is almost equal distances from Roanoke, Danville and Charlottesville. Richmond is 50 miles further than these but makes a nice day trip to visit or shop.

You will find that there are both Republicans and Democrats here but there are probably more “independents”. The city council and county board of supervisors are made up of individuals that listen to the people more than to the “party elite”. As in any jurisdiction you will find disagreement on issues but somehow things work out for the best.

I think you will find this area to be suited to you and your family.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM

67 posts, read 257,278 times
Lynchburg is quite safe.

Most people attend church regularly and if you do not, they will look at you funny.

Sadly, jobs can be tricky. The job market here operates very much along the good ole’ boy network. I would recommend that you job hunt BEFORE you move here or have plenty of savings that you can dip into.

In my soon to be 6 years in Lynchburg I have met few Democrats and Independents.

I know fellow poster Badger74 will disagree with me but many, many parts of this town is very worn down and quite depressing. So if you move here be sure you live and work in one of the better parts of town as I (and others I know) find so many parts of Lynchburg depressing. I would say that 50% or maybe 2/3 of Lynchburg is slum. However, if one lives in a better part of town, apparently you never really realize what Lynchburg looks like. If you move here I recommend Boonsboro or Wyndhurst

When it comes to culture and entertainment I frankly find Lynchburg very boring. I am in my mid 30's, married and have tow fantastic children so I have plenty to do as it is. Lynchburg is improving but compared to other places I have lived it is quite dull.
I personally do not see why people want to move here, as I plan on getting out of here soon...

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Williams View Post

Sadly, jobs can be tricky. The job market here operates very much along the good ole’ boy network. I would recommend that you job hunt BEFORE you move here or have plenty of savings that you can dip into.
Can somebody explain to me just how prevelant this good ole' boy network really is in Lynchburg, VA? I have a black cousin has been job hunting for 6 months and still hasn't found a decent job.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM

1,540 posts, read 3,989,597 times
Question Why Race?

I dont understand why race is always brought up. Just because someone is black dosnt decrease their chances of a job. Maybe your cousin is having a hard time finding a job but I am sure a white person would be too. I hear a lot of complaints about the job market in South West Va... So trust me its not because he is black. I know many blacks that are in very high paying ranks at various companies including the one I work for. Good luck to your cousin I am sure with patience the job he wants will come eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Analyst View Post
Can somebody explain to me just how prevelant this good ole' boy network really is in Lynchburg, VA? I have a black cousin has been job hunting for 6 months and still hasn't found a decent job.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 PM

16 posts, read 57,207 times
Default Lynchburg

I was born and raised in the Boonsboro area of Lynchburg. For lack of a better word, it is the historically more elite part of town. Lots of nice neighborhoods with homes that are very affordable compared to most other cities. Forest is where the city has grown tremendously and has lots of nice new homes, but less neighborhood charm. Rivermont is a great area for historical homes and a more eclectic demographic mix. If you will be attending Liberty, then the Thomas Road/Falwell thing must not bother you. While everyone loves to hate Falwell and Liberty for political reasons or otherwise, they have been very important to the local economy. In fact, Falwell probably could have really run the town a lot more but was always pretty wary of the perceptions of the non-follower locals. His sons have aggressive plans for sure. I am not a follower of his faith and attended an Episcopal church growing up. I've traveled all over the world and lived in other states and must admit that Lynchburg has a lot going for it for families looking for a comfortable place. The mountains are at your back door and there are great parks and trails within the city (Blackwater Creek Natural Area is great - right in the middle of the city). There is a pretty large blue collar population, but mostly hard-working, salt of the earth types (ok - so it is VA and there are plenty of rednecks). In reality, it's population is generally pretty well cultured in comparison to most inhabitants of small towns in the south. In addition to Liberty (which will grow to 20,000 students eventually and is already the largest private university in the state), there is Lynchburg College (has a good part time MBA program), Randolph College, and Sweet Briar College 20 minutes away in Amherst.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM

90 posts, read 287,967 times
Wow...

I want to thank each and every one of you who offered me advice about a move to Lynchburg! You have all been incredibly helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me!

However, I was left with one question in regards to the comments left by Jerry Williams...

You stated that Lynchburg is "50% or 2/3 slum". I'm curious about this because my experience has always been that a city that is primarily a "slum" will also maintain very high levels of crime. This (according to the crime stats) does not bare out as far as Lynchburg is concerned, it would seem. If you or anyone else could further elaborate on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Big Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia