U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 PM

1,565 posts, read 971,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictum9 View Post
Virginia heat and the constant humidity. You cannot sleep at night without AC..
I basically like the four seasons experienced in Virginia & the upper Southeast.. that said, Dictum makes a damn good point about the humid summer nights. God bless the generations who lived in VA before air conditioning.

This is gonna be purely anecdotal (because I can't readily cite my source now..), but I read a book a few years ago that stated colonial soldiers hated getting sent to southeast VA, bcuz of the heat, mosquitoes, & humidity. It was basically viewed as torturous, and could lead to serious malaise & health issues. If there's a City Datite who can help me w/a source please do.. That historical revelation made sense when I read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,116,479 times
"cannot sleep at night without AC"

I would do it all the time with my windows open. I love Virginia summer nights. There's nothing quite like them.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:48 PM

363 posts, read 431,932 times
I usually sleep summer nights with a/c off and windows open. Maybe because I was raised in va I'm used to it. Days are A/C all the way.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM

780 posts, read 1,089,308 times
In Roanoke and other mountainous areas of VA it tends to be less humid and it snows more than the Peidmont and Tidewater areas

Old 06-04-2016, 12:58 PM

398 posts, read 1,160,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I've lived in Denver, and now in Richmond. I prefer Richmond. Climate is fine, equal to Denver's for me, but is obviously more humid by a long way. Much less snow, averages 10" and melts immediately.

Humidity is bad by colorado standards, but is comparable to CT standards, much to my surprise. And yes, I've lived in CT, 8 years.

Richmond weather is not perfect. That'd be San Francisco for me. But its nicer than I expected, beats the hell out of Washington DC, for example, much to my surprise.
We're thinking of moving from the Denver area (up in the foothills) to the Richmond area this summer (if our house sells). We're originally from CT, so we know how miserable the east coast can be in the summers. How was the transition to Richmond, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,083,867 times
I like RVA quite a bit, but it was Denver-Boston-RVA for me. I wasn't a big fan of Denver, though I liked the humidity, and the mountains. The city itself is not urban enough for me (I lived in congress park/north cherry creek).

Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I basically like the four seasons experienced in Virginia & the upper Southeast.. that said, Dictum makes a damn good point about the humid summer nights. God bless the generations who lived in VA before air conditioning.

This is gonna be purely anecdotal (because I can't readily cite my source now..), but I read a book a few years ago that stated colonial soldiers hated getting sent to southeast VA, bcuz of the heat, mosquitoes, & humidity. It was basically viewed as torturous, and could lead to serious malaise & health issues. If there's a City Datite who can help me w/a source please do.. That historical revelation made sense when I read it.
ic

Malaria and Yellow Fever were very problematic in Colonial times in VA all the way up to WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseas...lonial_America

My Dad (born in 1920's) suffered from mysterious fevers caught growing up in MD in the early 20th century. He told me of being hospitalized with US Military troops suffering from Malaria and Yellow Fever caught in Southern USA Basic Training camps. This was before Air Conditioning became ubiquitous. In My Humble Opinion, Veteran of many Deep South and Chesapeake Eastern Shore summers, Willis Carrier is the one person who should have been simultaneously knighted, sainted and won the Noble Prize.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:46 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post

Malaria and Yellow Fever were very problematic in Colonial times in VA all the way up to WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseas...lonial_America

My Dad (born in 1920's) suffered from mysterious fevers caught growing up in MD in the early 20th century. He told me of being hospitalized with US Military troops suffering from Malaria and Yellow Fever caught in Southern USA Basic Training camps. This was before Air Conditioning became ubiquitous. In My Humble Opinion, Veteran of many Deep South and Chesapeake Eastern Shore summers, Willis Carrier (father of modern AC) is the one person who should have been simultaneously Knighted, Sainted and won the Noble Prize.God Bless Him.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM

46 posts, read 48,523 times
The humidity can't be worst than in Florida. Has anybody experienced the differences?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:39 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,083,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Eagle View Post
The humidity can't be worst than in Florida. Has anybody experienced the differences?
yes. It's MUCH better. People here just don't realize how bad Florida is. We get 3 days a year say where that swampy weather gets pushed up, and you can feel the difference.

A carpenter who works for me is from new orleans, and we are constantly laughing about what Richmonders consider hot and humid.

As a new englander, Richmond is probably right at my southern limit for that weather pattern, but its within it. It might be a shock for someone from the rockies or pacific coast though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or