Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 PM

45 posts, read 35,997 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? Also, I do love the change in seasons & I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! Thank you all in advance for your help! The people I grew up with & encounter tend to be selfish, shallow, & fake for the lack of a better description. I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I'm not high maintenance either, & in terms of what I'm looking for, I'm definitely drawn to the mountains but I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either. I haven't been to VA, so I'm just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. I'm torn between a few different states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 11:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
You'd love Ghent. Give it a shot. It's not that expensive and fits the bill. I recommend finding a job before you move here though, the job market is pretty dismal.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Ghent is a subdivision of Norfolk, by the way. It would probably meet a lot of your criteria. Hampton Roads actually has a lot to offer people who are outdoorsy. I have recently taking up paddle boarding and beach boot camps (think: crossfit on the beach) just because I wanted something to do.

The job market is not the greatest; however, as an experienced vet tech, I doubt you will have many issues finding a job in Hampton Roads.

I also feel like Charlottesville, VA might fit a lot of your criteria as well. Actually, it probably fits better than Hampton Roads if you're a mountain person over a beach person.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Thank you both! I'm definitely drawn to Charlottesville from what I've seen/read, it looks beautiful! I just worry because I know reviews & websites usually hype up a place, which is why I wanted to ask around on here for advice & suggestions! Definitely going to look into Ghent & Hampton Roads as well! It's so nerve-racking choosing a new place to live. I'm torn between South & West, I have multiple personalities in one (not in a skitsofrantic way, haha just in terms of my interests & what I'm looking for in a home), & I just really want to end up where I belong/will be happiest.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I've replied to your post on the Colorado site, but I'll add a few more tidbits here.

VA, NC, OR, and WA all seem like good possibilities for your search. The East coast might have an edge in providing more similarities and familiar comforts over the west.

I did a similar big move seeking change and adventure, from two very different areas (TX->CO), and have faced several issues that have surprised me. The biggest has been work/jobs. I went from a large job pool to a small job pool with lower-paying jobs and less benefits. I really thought it would be the other way around (i.e. that the new area would be better). That's extremely important. Another big factor is cost-of-living. Even if you like your new location, if you can't get anywhere financially, the new location will fall through and no longer make sense. Really, the critical factors (jobs/income and cost of living) should be at the top of the moving criteria. I personally got too caught up in non-work-related thoughts as priorities (scenery, the freshness of a new location, new possibilities, and a lot of idealism). Be careful not to get too "head in the clouds".

The other factor that often gets lost in the mix is culture. Just because a place seems to look good on paper, doesn't mean it will be a good fit. I vastly underestimated the effect of culture. If you've lived all your life in one location, it can be very strange living in another place, even if you never talk about your old location or point out where you are from. People pick up on others being from elsewhere, and some states/areas are better at the flexibility. In my old location, the state was very welcoming of others from different states/locations. In my new location though, people are very antagonist about "newcomers". That's another factor that can add to a dismal relocation.

Since you mentioned outdoor activities, be careful too as to what might be available in the new location. Outdoor and scenic activities was important to me, and it's been a bit humorous to see that my new location actually has less variety than my old location, and with a shorter window seasonally. Just because a place looks great, and maybe even has a reputation as a scenic wonder, doesn't mean that will translate into reality. People in my current location only see things through what they are familiar with, and that's their reality and perspective. They rave about it and think it's great and awesome, but I see it as lacking. My previous location - not necessarily thought of a scenic wonder - actually now is, with my updated perspective.

Research/think/ponder, then repeat many times. Read between the lines, and think outside the box. Good luck!

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-09-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
Thank you both! I'm definitely drawn to Charlottesville from what I've seen/read, it looks beautiful! I just worry because I know reviews & websites usually hype up a place, which is why I wanted to ask around on here for advice & suggestions! Definitely going to look into Ghent & Hampton Roads as well! It's so nerve-racking choosing a new place to live. I'm torn between South & West, I have multiple personalities in one (not in a skitsofrantic way, haha just in terms of my interests & what I'm looking for in a home), & I just really want to end up where I belong/will be happiest.
I like C'ville, been trying to get my parents to move there from NoVa....mainly because they are retired. Ironically, you need to be in a more urban place like NoVa, where workers are in demand. School Bus driver in Manassas starts at 18.50 or so.....probably a lot closer to 13 in C'ville...and likely part-time. I went to school at JMU. and I like Harrisonburg, too...but it's the same story...lower cost of housing with a much tougher employment situation. Young people need to work/live where they can make real money. Vets are in huge demand, but I still wonder about how far one could advance as a Vet Tech, working for a Vet. However, there are an endless amount of possibilities for dog boarding, walking, grooming....

Old 06-10-2016, 05:50 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I like C'ville, been trying to get my parents to move there from NoVa....mainly because they are retired. Ironically, you need to be in a more urban place like NoVa, where workers are in demand. School Bus driver in Manassas starts at 18.50 or so.....probably a lot closer to 13 in C'ville...and likely part-time. I went to school at JMU. and I like Harrisonburg, too...but it's the same story...lower cost of housing with a much tougher employment situation. Young people need to work/live where they can make real money. Vets are in huge demand, but I still wonder about how far one could advance as a Vet Tech, working for a Vet. However, there are an endless amount of possibilities for dog boarding, walking, grooming....
I also went to JMU as well, but I would not recommend it for someone at the age of 25 trying to meet someone to settle down with simply because there is a wealth of girls from 18-22, but then they're gone.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Thank you all so much! Sorry for the delayed response, but I really appreciate all of the advice/info! I'm definitely drawn to the mountains & fell in love with the idea of having so much to do outdoors. Nature really effects my mood in a positive way, I'd love to spend my time off hiking & exploring different places/parks/trails/etc. But really anywhere beautiful & scenic where I can spend a lot of time being active outdoors (& taking photos) would do. I know I need to physically visit places before moving, but it's hard knowing that even if I narrow it down to the state, there's still SO many cities that are polar opposite than others. My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up. I definitely want to be at my happiest & start/create a new life. Obviously being in my 20's I'm also interested living somewhere that's good for singles to meet new people; I love going out to dinner, grabbing drinks, going to sports events, concerts, etc. Big country fan.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
the only place where you would be guaranteed to "fit in" would be Blobville, and it's really not very nice. I'm a card carryin' Republican and I lived in Berkeley, California for six years...had more friends, than almost anyplace that I've been to (English speaking anyways). Don't be afraid to step out of your own shadow. The reality is that it takes $$$$. Lots of homeless people get to discover the great outdoors, too. But, let me just emphasize the importance of being near economic activity...that is where the jobs will be. Next to an oil refinery, with a gulf or ocean view? that kind of thing.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 PM

Where would you recommend in VA for economic activity? Being a vet tech, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia