U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 PM

76 posts, read 51,169 times

Advertisements

I hate searching anymore. It is draining. There is no perfect place, no mayberry, no fountain of youth. Especially when you don't have millions to spend. So here it goes: I got about $250000 at most to afford a house. I will be moderate income. I have a middle age cat and an old smallish dog and husband. The kids have their lives, love them a lot but don't want to be a drain or burden on them (they have busy lives and no grandkids) so we decided to retire in an area where we can afford and maybe enjoy a cruise or two a yr. We like to walk and be near stores, walkability is a big plus. Not big on snow or really cold weather and no California. No desert-hubby hates the intense heat and lack of greenery. He is asking for a coastal area as he likes the beach but we are open to suggestions. We are really nice friendly folks that enjoy other really nice folks of all ages. Any suggestions? being not too far from good medical is also a plus because unfortunately as you get older things happen. Your majority will help narrow it down. Can you help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,911 times
No help from me. I'm in the same predicament, except I don't need (nor want) shopping areas to be within walking distance and will be living on a low fixed income in my "golden" years. I've been searching on and off for two years and here is what I've found:
**Affordable housing tends to be in areas with fewer jobs (not a big deal for those of us who will be retired) and/or higher crime.
**Crime levels generally (though not always) increase with higher population, lower income areas and increased minority demographics. (I know, I sound like a bigot but this is what the data on this site shows.)
**Coastline areas on the East Coast have hurricanes and areas with severe beach erosion problems.
**Green areas of the East Coast are high humidity areas, which might be difficult to adjust to for those of us from hot, dry climates.
**Snow and cold come with most areas of the US outside the Southwest and the coastal areas.
**West Coast Oregon seems nice, but a little short on sunshine, a little high on cost, and it seems the majority of lower-cost homes are fixed foundation mobile homes or houses with cheap-looking paneled walls. (Why is that?)

You are right. There is no Mayberry, no Fountain of Youth, no Nirvana.
My plan is to narrow down to a couple of places and visit for a week in the summer and again in the winter, just to see if I can tolerate the weather. Right now, we're looking at Grayson County, VA (probably too rural for your taste) but have not completely disregarded Western Oregon.

BTW, I like friendly folks, cats and dogs, too. Maybe one day we'll get lucky enough to be neighbors. :-)

Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,519,169 times
Read the threads about Winchester. Not coastal but a lovely, walkable city with lots of cultural events because of Shenandoah University.

Best of luck.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:40 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,212,568 times
I had to laugh at the order in which you listed your close attachments.... "I have a middle age cat and an old smallish dog and husband". How does he feel about being last in the pecking order ? And he doesn't even rate an adjective

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Read the threads about Winchester. Not coastal but a lovely, walkable city with lots of cultural events because of Shenandoah University.

Best of luck.
Thanks so much I appreciate your suggestion I will look into your area. I hope I find nice neighbors like all that have replied.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I had to laugh at the order in which you listed your close attachments.... "I have a middle age cat and an old smallish dog and husband". How does he feel about being last in the pecking order ? And he doesn't even rate an adjective

Regards
Gemstone1
He puts up with me so that makes him number 1

Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnABudget View Post
No help from me. I'm in the same predicament, except I don't need (nor want) shopping areas to be within walking distance and will be living on a low fixed income in my "golden" years. I've been searching on and off for two years and here is what I've found:
**Affordable housing tends to be in areas with fewer jobs (not a big deal for those of us who will be retired) and/or higher crime.
**Crime levels generally (though not always) increase with higher population, lower income areas and increased minority demographics. (I know, I sound like a bigot but this is what the data on this site shows.)
**Coastline areas on the East Coast have hurricanes and areas with severe beach erosion problems.
**Green areas of the East Coast are high humidity areas, which might be difficult to adjust to for those of us from hot, dry climates.
**Snow and cold come with most areas of the US outside the Southwest and the coastal areas.
**West Coast Oregon seems nice, but a little short on sunshine, a little high on cost, and it seems the majority of lower-cost homes are fixed foundation mobile homes or houses with cheap-looking paneled walls. (Why is that?)

You are right. There is no Mayberry, no Fountain of Youth, no Nirvana.
My plan is to narrow down to a couple of places and visit for a week in the summer and again in the winter, just to see if I can tolerate the weather. Right now, we're looking at Grayson County, VA (probably too rural for your taste) but have not completely disregarded Western Oregon.

BTW, I like friendly folks, cats and dogs, too. Maybe one day we'll get lucky enough to be neighbors. :-)
We used to live outside Eugene Oregon for 4 yrs. No sales tax state but they seem to be high on other taxes. Lots of dreary days in the wintertime and cold and some snow and it can get pretty warm in the summer but we didn't have air conditioning and it was tolerable. The coastline is rocky but still nice beaches and they do a lot of crabbing but can be very cold and windy. Didn't seem to have the best healthcare in the smaller communities . Lots of rivers if you like salmon fishing. Oregonians seem to have their own way of doing things which could be a culture shock. It is a beautiful state though but doesn't seem to be really retirement friendly as far as the taxes go. I know what you mean about the paneled homes it is mostly the T-11 siding. Take care

Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 PM

714 posts, read 1,030,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyCat View Post
I hate searching anymore. It is draining. There is no perfect place, no mayberry, no fountain of youth. Especially when you don't have millions to spend. So here it goes: I got about $250000 at most to afford a house. I will be moderate income. I have a middle age cat and an old smallish dog and husband. The kids have their lives, love them a lot but don't want to be a drain or burden on them (they have busy lives and no grandkids) so we decided to retire in an area where we can afford and maybe enjoy a cruise or two a yr. We like to walk and be near stores, walkability is a big plus. Not big on snow or really cold weather and no California. No desert-hubby hates the intense heat and lack of greenery. He is asking for a coastal area as he likes the beach but we are open to suggestions. We are really nice friendly folks that enjoy other really nice folks of all ages. Any suggestions? being not too far from good medical is also a plus because unfortunately as you get older things happen. Your majority will help narrow it down. Can you help us?

Roanoke is one of the more preferred retirement areas in Virginia. You posted in the Virginia Forum. I read through your other posts and you seem to prefer walkability and access to Trader Joes and Kaiser Permanente. Both are available in Asheville NC. That's been ranked as one of the top 10 retirement cities in the US. I have friends who retired there and love it. I have visited several times and think it's charming. It has a cheaper cost of living than OR and will be less humid in the summer than the coast. It's a 5-6 hour drive to the great NC beaches.

Your budget is still possible a bit inland from Virginia Beach. The Eastern Shore of Virginia is also possible (like Cape Charles) but is likely to lack the amenities you are looking for. If you are determined to live near the beach, check out Wilmington NC (yes, it has Trader Joes but no Kaiser P).

Old 05-28-2016, 07:25 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,212,568 times
Williamsburg ?

Estimated median household income in 2013: $47,672 (it was $37,093 in 2000)
Williamsburg: $47,672
VA: $62,666

Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,887 (it was $18,483 in 2000)

Williamsburg city income, earnings, and wages data

Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $305,044 (it was $182,000 in 2000)
Williamsburg: $305,044, VA: $239,300

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Willia...#ixzz49zyduTi2

"We used to live outside Eugene Oregon"....lovely area...Saturday Market is my favorite, as is Oakridge.

Our current home is in Boydton, 400 residents, love it here.

Regards and good luck
Gemstone1

Old 06-02-2016, 08:54 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. Really nice folks in the VA forum, I really appreciate all your suggestions. It gets so exhausting trying to do research. I am trying to plan a trip soon to visit some of the areas to make a decision. It is so nice that everyone's response has been so helpful.
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia