Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times

Advertisements

NoVa, but parts of Tidewater, might be worth checking out. Richmond is slow economically. I may be wrong, but I think you are looking at less than 15 per hour...absolute tops, and that ain't gonna pay rent in NoVa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 11:23 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up.... Big country fan.
You haven't yet mentioned your religion, politics or ethnicity, which I think is unusual. Is it important to you to be among people with similar values?

Most people will feel more at home with people of similar values, as I certainly do. You mention country music, so what about the related values? Are you a conservative, Christian, pro-gun rights person? Or, if you are the outdoorsy type, do you think protecting the environment is the most important thing? If you love animals, are you a vegan who refuses to wear leather?

I don't have answers for you, but I think you need to be more explicit about your values if you want suggestions.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:04 PM

45 posts, read 36,010 times
I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:42 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
NoVa, but parts of Tidewater, might be worth checking out. Richmond is slow economically. I may be wrong, but I think you are looking at less than 15 per hour...absolute tops, and that ain't gonna pay rent in NoVa.
you're wrong.....

Old 06-14-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious...
Thanks. It sounds like you would fit in because you can be flexible and don't push your opinions.

Folks in the south tend to be more evangelical and more outspoken about religion. They also vote conservative. In my part of NC, the incumbent Republicans win so often, my vote doesn't count.

I am a white liberal from Massachusetts, non-religious, and I definitely do not feel "at home" in the south because the culture is so different. I tolerate living here because the cost of living is so much lower than in my home state.

You experience may be different.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Where would you recommend in VA for economic activity? Being a vet tech, of course!
The most jobs are going to be in the cities, especially Northern Virginia. But that is not really scenic in the sense that you are looking for. You have to drive a couple of hours out into the country to get to the Blue Ridge, for example.

I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic in expecting everything to be found in one place.

BTW, do you every watch the TV show about Dr. Jeff, the Fort Collins, Colorado vet? I really think that Fort Collins (or Colorado) is the kind of place where you would fit in well.

In fact, if I were young and single, I would be heading out west: Idaho or Western Washington. I like the cold climate and the "live and let live" attitude of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia