U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 AM

44 posts, read 154,590 times

Advertisements

It's no secret more people are moving to the beautiful foothills of Virginia. In fact, the 2015 population estimate from the US Census Bureau in Lynchburg city has grown to approximately 80,000.. up from the census of 75,568 just 5 years ago, and way up from the 65,269 in 2000. I've lived in Lynchburg for 15 years now, and it amazes me to see just how much has changed in the city in just the past few years alone. Lynchburg is growing pretty fast, and more families are finding the Lynchburg area as a good place to live, work, and raise a family. Lynchburg also fares well in the skilled labor force department and educational attainment. For people seeking college degrees, there are several colleges offering countless programs to undergraduates who want to move up the career ladder. Lynchburg College (which actually has an undergrad enrollment high enough to rank at university status), Randolph, Liberty University, Central Virginia Community College, Sweet Briar. Today, Lynchburg's top employers are based in the medical field.. with Central Health and Liberty University being the top two employers in the Lynchburg area. Other large employers in the area include Areva, Genworth Financial, and Lynchburg City Schools.

Maybe little bitty Lynchburg isn't as "little" as we like to think it is. A lot of folks may complain about the area they live in, but good things are happening here. Some people just won't ever be satisfied!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:25 AM

311 posts, read 170,020 times
Nice post. Actually, according to the latest 2015 Census estimate, Lynchburg was the third fastest growing city in VA over 40,000 in population growing by 1.51% (1,185 new residents in one year). This is pretty robust growth for a city of 80,000 in one year. Only Charlottesville and Richmond grew faster.

I moved to Lynchburg about 4.5 years ago and have been a resident of downtown since moving here. The amount of growth happening all around the city generally and specifically in downtown has been staggering for such a small place. We are approaching $100 million in development in the CBD alone. About 490 new apartments and lofts have been built or are under construction since 2012 (a 163% increase in the downtown housing supply since 2012) with occupancy rates around 95%. About 81% of the new housing downtown has been created through the smart adaptive reuse of historic mills, warehouses, and buildings. This year alone will see the opening of Gish Flats in 5th Street (66 new units), Piedmont Flour Mill Lofts on Jefferson (55 units), and the Tobacco Factory Lofts on 12th (23 units).

Beyond the residential development in downtown, a lot of civic and commercial development is underway. There is something like six new restaurants and bars in the works right now downtown (a tap house, bar and grille, rooftop lounge and bar, Benny's Pizza, and bourbon barrel house to name a few). We are getting a beautiful new Curio Hilton Hotel through the restoration of the historic Virginian building, a new Family Dollar on 5th Street, a restored $29 million performing arts venue coming in 2018, an expanded Amazement Square museum, a new Centra clinic on 5th, and a new co-op grocery store on Main. Pacific Life recently announced that they are moving their east coast operations to downtown Lynchburg bringing 300 new jobs. Commercial and residential development around the Lower Blufffwalk pedestrian mall has absolutely exploded over the past couple of years.

Beyond downtown, LU is adding between 500 and 1,000 students a year and all the other area colleges are also growing. Lynchburg is actually one of only five localities that is actually getting younger in the entire Commonwealth. A new Fresh Market and Aldi has opened up in the past couple of years and would not be surprised if Whole Foods or Trader Joe's comes eventually as the city rapidly closes in on 100,000 people over the next 20 years. Coming from a fully revitalized and gentrified Savannah and Asheville, it was easy to see the potential of Lynchburg to be the next great place, especially downtown, and it is exciting to see the momentum moving the city towards a very special place to live, work, and visit in the coming years...

You can check out an interactive map of downtown Lynchburg development since 2012 I have been maintaining here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...wLdSPp2VszeXnY

and a thread (oldest post first) of Lynchburg developments:
Lynchburg, VA Development News - SkyscraperCity

Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 AM

6,327 posts, read 4,506,422 times
I used to go to Lynchburg quite often for shopping when I lived in Farmville a few years ago and I like it, but since I ended up near Danville, I don't go there much anymore.

The only real complaint I have about Lynchburg is it's a major pain in the ass coming into Lynchburg on US-29 from the south. US-29 from US-460/Wards Road junction to about a few miles to the south is a parking lot. It's a mess with the traffic (mostly trucks), stoplights and constant speed limit changes. I heard that there was supposed to be a US-29 freeway bypass built that would connect US-29 south of Lynchburg to the existing US-29 freeway that currently runs from US-460 to Amherst. That bypass desperately needs to be built. It would give the existing US-29 much needed relief and make access to the city MUCH easier.

I usually go to Greensboro now since it's a much better (and faster) drive. Coming in on US-460 from Farmville was easy, but US-29 is a *****. Again, I like Lynchburg and I'm glad it's growing. They just need better access. I've never been on US-460 west of Lynchburg, so I don't know how that section is.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM

65 posts, read 62,732 times
Default Downtown Lynchburg

Im wondering how many people have overlooked the beautiful downtown churches in Lynchburg and other architectural
gems which were not destroyed as in many nearby cities. Lynchburg will see more growth downtown as it has retained
much of its past and its exciting to see those old buildings reborn. I hope as it grows developers will not tear down everything
for a parking lot, although Im sure more parking will be the norm soon.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 PM

947 posts, read 2,253,803 times
Proud to say I saw this potential when we bought our future retirement home back in 2003 when LU was still broke and a major local company had just shutdown. After being fully retired for nearly two years we are very happy with our choice. Only downer was this hot/wet summer. But Fall is coming soon.
Looking forward to the activity picking up as the students return. The new LU concert hall looks fantastic.

New Liberty University concert hall tuning up for March '16 opening - Higher Education - Mobile

Old 08-20-2016, 03:04 AM

127 posts, read 94,151 times
This is heartening news! I've been actively looking for the next/last chapter home spot, and Lynchburg is always on my list. Compared to many areas further north, there are more opportunities to purchase a sizable property, without depleting ones retirement fund.
I have not yet been able to peruse the city, or much of the outlying communities, but I hope they rebuild/restore gently. From the photos I have poured over, seems like a beautiful, historic town that can be a real gem with the correct future plan.
Question: looking at towns in the Lynchburg area, for humble home on 5-20 private acres. A place to have a few goats and within striking distance of downtown for employment. Which are some of the little havens that might fit the bill, someplace that is not stagnant in its economy or outlook?
Thank you for any answers Lynchburg folk.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Area between Lynchburg and Bedford. Or Amherst County to the north-lots of nice rolling land up there

Old 08-20-2016, 10:25 PM

1,143 posts, read 3,287,312 times
We moved to the area just over a year ago. We are in Forest. The amount of growth I've seen in one year is crazy. There is a need for restaurants, coffee shops and stores like Target, Shopko or Osco. (Something near Perrowville road would do quite well). Driving 20 min to Wards road when you need something quick is frustrating. The schools are crowded (large class sizes, trailers, locker shortage, etc). All common growing pains when the number of homes far outpaces the infrastructure. I love all that is happening in downtown Lynchburg. This whole area is on the fast track right now. This means more jobs.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM

127 posts, read 94,151 times
Thank you badger74 for the advice.
Interesting info Kandy and all else!
A month ago I spent a week doing RE search thru central west Virginia: Lexington, Staunton, C-ville.
This past weekend drove 1000 miles in 2 days in Winchester, down thru Luray.
There RE agent said it is a seller's market and she is right.
Came up empty handed and a bit discouraged, as I was hoping to be more central/north to be closer to the NJ family for weekend drives and we found ziltch.
My next trip down in few weeks will be Lynchburg areas, Roanoke, Blacksburg. Hoping the market is a little slower with more house availability in my price range.
My house is tentatively going on market Oct 1.
Crossing my fingers, me, the partner, our two goldens and cat wont be living in a tent outside the Sheetz.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM

I also chose Lynchburg to be closer to family in NJ. Easy day drive.
Our Central VA market is slightly buyer market under $300K and big buyer market over that. Land is a bit expensive so decent house with 20 acres hard to find under $300K

This is in a good location--looks cute.

http://www.homes.com/property/1931-f...-400029805744/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia