U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 PM

36 posts, read 152,550 times

Advertisements

thanks for the website info... definitely will help... willing to commute about 1/2hr? if so, would like a city w/good shopping, entertainment - movies, dining... but good schools is a prority. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,644 times
The Danville City Public School system has wonderful teachers/staff that care about your child, but there is a deficit of leadership and money that causes havoc. I would check back with Danville City Public Schools in about ten years to see if anything has changed.

A good way to judge a school system is checking out the Human Resources section, if they have many positions available at all grade levels and in all subjects that suggests that the school system has issues. I would also ask to take a "tour" of the school. Check out the bathrooms...if they look like junk, chances are so is the school.
I have several suggestions.
1. Stay in Danville and get your child into all "advanced" classes. It really will help insulate the child from the most disruptive and negative influences found in a school.
2. Live in Lynchburg and commute South. The drive would be about 40-50min. The schools in Lynchburg are great compared to Danville.
3. Live in Greensboro, NC and commute North. The drive is 40-45min. There are great schools in Guilford County School system. The northern most schools are the best...stay away from the ones located in the inner parts of Greensboro.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,737 times
Default Galileo Magnet High and living in Danville

We have lived in Danville for 3 years. I had ALL of the same reservations about moving to Danville. Schools, crime, etc.
We have lived in the city, sent our kids to Galileo, and the gifted program at Bonner Middle, and couldn't be happier with the education level and the community itself. The Galileo School is the only reason that I agreed to move into Danville, rather than to Greensboro, or Raleigh-Durham. My children have thrived in the school's family atmosphere, gotten a great education from some really fantastic educators, and have been part of the school's continuing improvement. It is definitely something that should be considered when considering schools at the high school level.
Every town has issues. Danville's largest issue is that the people who live there are no longer proud to be from Danville, and many have an education level that keeps them unemployed. It's a sad situation, but entirely fixable.
There is a community market May through October that is always busy, festivals, concerts at a great outdoor arena, and other events community wide. To say there is nothing to do isn't quite accurate. There's not a busy night life in Danville. There isn't much to do in the evenings other than to go bowling. Most young people don't care for that. Within an hour's drive, though you can find clubs, arts, large venue concerts (Raleigh), etc.
Just use your best instincts.
Good Luck

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

624 posts, read 1,031,185 times
Default Agreed

Stacey2

Very good posting concerning Danville, its not as gloomy as described, but is not the cosmopoliton city a lot of people want.

Not having children in school presently, I am out of the loop concerning education quality, but guess I should be more concerned for future generations. My big peeve now is the excessive cost of college , preventing many young adults from helping shape our future.

I guess everyones expectation of what they want from a community is different.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 PM

36 posts, read 152,550 times
the suggestions from teacher 1812 are excellent, i will definitely tour the school & check out lynchburg & guilford cty... my children would be in grammar school though...the school website referred is fantastic & very helpful...
any other suggestions?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 18,676 times
I've lived in Danville my whole life (but currently go to VT so am in Bburg at the moment) but I went to Carlisle School for 13 years and I got an amazing education. I did the IB Diploma program and it really helped me not only with the transition to college but the courses, etc.

just my two cents. let me know if you have more q's about Carlisle.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,395 times
Danville is not a bad place to live any cities you go to their is crimes and Danville crime rates is not bad than anywhere else and yes there is job here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia