Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 35,125 times

Advertisements

I first would like to thank everyone for responding to my various posts. As someone who hasn't been to Virginia, your information invaluable and helping to guide me. I recently spoke to a potential job offer in Chincoteague Island. Any information on this area would be great. Thanks in advance.

Is it rural?
What type of rural?
Cost of living?
Big box stores such as Walmart present?
Good Beaches?
Good quality of life in your opinion?
Closest Cities?
Things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 31,931 times
I will try to answer. Let me start with easy Walmart and Lowes are in Pocomoke city Md. my guess would be a 30 minute ride. Because it will take 10- 15 minutes to get off the island and across the causeway if you choose to live on Chincoteague Island. Any other big shopping would be in Salisbury, Md another 30 to 45 minute ride past Pocomoke . Assateague Beach is simple and beautiful and a national park( so there is a fee to get in). You can sunbathe, swim, fish and look for the ponies all while being eaten by skeeters lol.
Rural? I guess because of the remoteness, but the island itself is more like a neighborhood I guess. Food store, restaurants hardware store, lots of tourist shops. The surrounding area is rural.
Cities? I think you mean like a place with museums, sports teams... Uhm I am not sure. Baltimore and D.C. I guess.
Things to do? Fish, hunt repeat. There has actually been something going on in the area almost every weekend car shows, Cook offs, carnivals.
It's a place you either love or hate. A slower pace. The island is a cool place not sure I would want to live out there myself.they have some flooding issues with nor'easter and tropical storms . Insurance is probably a bit pricier. Is the job actually on Chincoteague or is that just the landmark to find the area?

Old 10-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am a dentist and the job is literally on the island. I don't have to live there to work there. I'd like less than a 40 minute commute though. Where would a good place to live with these parameters?

Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Much of the island stores and such close for winter, or at least it did but it's been a few years since I've been there. It's a beautiful place and I've got some great pictures of sunrise/sunsets, all kinds of birds and of course the horses.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:04 PM

No farther south than the Onancock/ Onley area. The good part of that is there is a Walmart, Food lion, Peebles(small department store) and a Sears hometown store along with other small strip mall type stores on the highway in Onley. New hospital being built there too. Several small towns between Chincoteague and Onley. Depending on what you are looking for in town smaller lots older homes of different styles some needing renovations others beautiful. Or maybe a small subdivision outside of town limits (there are not too many of these). Or maybe a few acres out in the country or on the water. Towns that come to mind Atlantic close to the island, Parksley complete with a small hardware store, variety store, a cafe\ bar and sounds like the county library is going to move there. Not on the water. Accomac (county seat) and Onley small towns with very little in town center. Onancock has a marina, market street is full of art and antique shops. Other quirky little shops. Lots of places for food, a bank, a theatre, and a lumberyard. If looking in the country need to check for chicken houses they are here and you don't want to be next door to one. Hope this helps. We have a local weekly paper The Eastern Shore Post that you can read online to get a feel for things.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I've done some research on the area. My biggest concern now is that my wife will not be able to find work. She is an occupational therapist that works in assisted living or nursing homes. Is there not a big community of elderly here? We cannot find many jobs for her within a 50 mile radius.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Check the Virginia employment commission work board. I know several people that work in nursing home/ assisted living. Also many elderly here stay home and have in home care when needed. 3 of my neighbors work in that type of situation in different degrees. The Hermitage is the local home that I know the name of and I believe they have more than one location.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the good information

Old 10-06-2016, 06:26 PM

You are welcome good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia