Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,310 times

Advertisements

So i was on my way back to Maryland from VA, i got pulled over in Prince William county going 96mph in a 60mph.
Info:Clear weather, Maryland drivers license, clean driving record and criminal record, I'm planning on talking to a lawyer tomorrow.
I would like to know the worst that could come from this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 03:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Might want to bring a toothbrush with you. Once you hit that 90 range you never know what a judge might do. Not much we can do but say listen to your lawyer and slow the hell down.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:25 PM

More info
Went to the shop today and found out my RPM gauge and Speed Odometer sensers aren't working properly.
Will this have any effect on the case?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellv2 View Post
More info
Went to the shop today and found out my RPM gauge and Speed Odometer sensers aren't working properly.
Will this have any effect on the case?
You need a calibration done and you need to give it to your attorney. But I can't imagine it's off more than 3-5 mph's. You need to speak with an attorney.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 46,122 times
I was cited at a simliiar speed and had a perfect driving record. But it was in fairfax county.

I was offered a Couple plea deals that both included jail time and suspension or restricted licenses. We refused both and took it to trial and I still ended up in jail eating balogni sandwiches for a couple days.

The process sucks. The advise I would have for you isn't all that great because honestly there are now a lot of factors out of your control.

Unfortunately the best advise I can give you is plan for the worst and hope for the best...the result will likely be somewhere in the middle. Interview several lawyers and be selective, then listen to them.

If you have deep pockets you can appeal any decision and go to a jury trial. Cross your fingers I have jury duty that day cause my views on this seem to be more lenient than some.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM

Before taking that advice ask your attorney about what can happen at appeals. Some prosecutors and even judges will go for a more severe penalty for wasting the time of the circuit court on a traffic court process. No one will admit this but I know I'm correct.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM

So since I notice not many people come back and tell there story after wards i will.

First off yes i got an attorney, i had to pay 500 for her.
The things i brought with me to court was: Speed odometer re calibration, VA driver ed class competition certificate, letter explain what was going on at home and my reasons for driving at that speed. Copy of my driver history, and criminal record (clean) and personal resume along with letters of recommendations from my job and school.
When i got to the court room i waited for my name to be called.

My lawyer talked to the police officer and the prosecutor then came back to me with this deal.
They dropped it to improper speed 92/60
Fine: 500
total cost: 574 after court cost.
No jail time
No suspended licensee
No points because i already took the class.

I honestly got off so lucky cause one other guy going 86 got 20 days in jail and the guys after me was going 106 and got 3 months.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
While 106 is extremely excessive, three months? Wow. 20 days for 86? Harsh. Stories like these scare people off.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 27,463 times
106 in a 60? That shows a huge lack of common sense and judgement and a complete disregard for public safety. Same seriousness as drunk driving, imo. 3 months sounds right to me, with at least 2 years suspended license.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM

22 posts, read 46,122 times
You got lucky because it was prince William county. I don't believe the other penalties you posted unless those were followed by the majority of e sentence being suspended. For instance my sentence was 180 day/178 suspended.

In fairfax at 96 you wouldn't have walked away without either some jail or some restriction of license.

$500 is cheap for a lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellv2 View Post
So since I notice not many people come back and tell there story after wards i will.

First off yes i got an attorney, i had to pay 500 for her.
The things i brought with me to court was: Speed odometer re calibration, VA driver ed class competition certificate, letter explain what was going on at home and my reasons for driving at that speed. Copy of my driver history, and criminal record (clean) and personal resume along with letters of recommendations from my job and school.
When i got to the court room i waited for my name to be called.

My lawyer talked to the police officer and the prosecutor then came back to me with this deal.
They dropped it to improper speed 92/60
Fine: 500
total cost: 574 after court cost.
No jail time
No suspended licensee
No points because i already took the class.

I honestly got off so lucky cause one other guy going 86 got 20 days in jail and the guys after me was going 106 and got 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: