Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Are you able to stream video (e.g., Netflix) on your Internet?" I'd be surprised if anyone can stream much video without either a fiber optic, or cable pipe for unlimited high speed access....can anyone prove me wrong ?

Regards
Gemstone1

I know when my son and his GF come over to visit they will watch TV down in the basement. They use Netflix with almost no issues. I say "almost" as they've seen it take a second here and there to buffer but they've watched things they've streamed plenty of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:13 AM

62 posts, read 70,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I know when my son and his GF come over to visit they will watch TV down in the basement. They use Netflix with almost no issues. I say "almost" as they've seen it take a second here and there to buffer but they've watched things they've streamed plenty of times.
Ok. Thanks a lot!

Old 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Shentel highspeed broadband delivery is based on fiber and/or cable ...available in these areas..(also telco delivered DSL)

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-01-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Shentel highspeed broadband delivery is based on fiber and/or cable ...available in these areas..(also telco delivered DSL)

Regards
Gemstone1
Hey, Gemstone, that's very useful. Thanks so much!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,358 times
The hospital in Woodstock is very good for MINOR medical situations. More major medical problems one will go to Winchester / Harrisonburg and extremely serious conditions UVA.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LirpaKooz View Post
Please come visit Shenandoah County! It's perfect here!
Depends on what one is looking for. Median income is about 35K other than BB&T one must travel for 30 40 miles to large banks. BAC, WF etc.
County and towns don't accept Credit cards unless the card holder pays the 3% fee to credit card company. . I 81 is full of trucks and has a heavy volume of traffic.
No shopping unless you go to Wal Mart for both food and clothing plus everything else. There are several Food Lion grocery stores plus a few Mom and Pop's.
UVA hospital is one of the best hospitals in he country. They do all of the major surgeries , transplants, etc, have a great cancer center and what with several hundred surgeries per day I'm sure there are a few glitches. Sorry to hear about your friend's problems.
I gladly travel the 100 miles to UVA for cutting edge medical care!!

Old 05-14-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Regards
Gemstone1

I have been looking at some houses in the area. For some of them, it seems that neither CenturyLink, Comcast, nor Shentel provide Internet service (based on entering addresses on their websites). However, it is possible that HughesNet does. Any experience with them?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:48 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBen View Post
I have been looking at some houses in the area. For some of them, it seems that neither CenturyLink, Comcast, nor Shentel provide Internet service (based on entering addresses on their websites). However, it is possible that HughesNet does. Any experience with them?
I use HughesNet out here in Texas and......we-ll............

I got curious about what I signed up for so I started looking at the Net tonight and this indicates that I might want to count my blessings.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/hughes.html

Count my blessings in so far, so good....but I don't depend on the Net for streaming. Another thing is that I am trying to fight computer addiction so I am learning how to use the Net very conservatively and trying to keep my tie in times short. When I get done with what I am doing, I unplug the ethernet cable from the laptop. Between the need to be conservative and there being only my hands for the keyboard, I have no need, now, of wireless in the house.

What are the three biggest fiends? Videos, facebook, and weather maps. So I conserve what I watch in videos and keep away from youtube when at home. Facebook tends to be loaded with videos so if I am smart, I'll "come to the surface" to check messages and then turn FB off again. One can't do much about weather maps for they are needed when they are needed, so I try to reserve my data limits for such.

Right now, my plan has me on 5 G for anytime and 50 G during the bonus period which due to my schedule, I can only use a few days a week. Looking at the current plans, I just may have signed up at the wrong time.

As I said, count my blessings for I work in the internet industry. I consider my questions at home and ask them when I get to work when I am not being charged for my use of the Net. Finally, the realization of the difference between cable and satellite internet has forced me to start cataloguing my data in a more efficient manner.

I use pictures to illustrate my diaries, reflect my thoughts. Now that I am in a situation where searching the Net for the right picture is costly, I've started organizing my picture files so I can look there instead. That file is now 14.1 G big, 154,430 Files, 15,773 Folders......and still growing.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I use HughesNet out here in Texas and......we-ll............

I got curious about what I signed up for so I started looking at the Net tonight and this indicates that I might want to count my blessings.

Wow, that's not a pretty picture, is it? Thanks, so much, for the information though. I guess I should try to stay away from it if at all possible. Right now we do quite a bit of streaming, but like you, we're hoping to cut back quite a bit. But still.....

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBen View Post
Wow, that's not a pretty picture, is it? Thanks, so much, for the information though. I guess I should try to stay away from it if at all possible. Right now we do quite a bit of streaming, but like you, we're hoping to cut back quite a bit. But still.....

Thanks again!
You're welcome.

In all fairness to the company or at least the salesman, when I signed up, we did talk about my very low need for video downloads.

I guess that my quirky habits (a DVD library???? EGADS!) just paid off in this instance.

It's just out in my section of the country, it was a choice of DSL from a company that has similar comments about their customer service (practically all bad), radio internet with reported quirky coverage, and Hughes.

Soon after I found out how cut off I was from Youtube, I think I had used up my data that month without knowing it, I made a large purchase of CDs from Amazon. I knew before, however, of some of the ways I was going to be out of touch; so I bought a short wave radio to include the weather bands.

If I had known about the Windows + G + R feature last year or so, however, I would have been using it a lot more when I had regular cable.

All that said, however, I can just picture the young relatives that might visit me only to find out that not only is there no wifi but also I only have 5 Gs download capacity a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia