U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 40,009 times

Advertisements

Hi there -
I live up in NH, and every May while we have lovely weather, we have the worst biting, annoying little bugs - black flies. It makes it impossible to go outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. After Father's Day, when the black flies leave, the mosquitoes come out, and they're almost a relief.

We're thinking of moving to VA to escape the cold. Are there black flies or some kind of annoying little chigger like that down there?

THanks!
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM

624 posts, read 1,030,969 times
Yes there are many varmints like that here too. My main nememis is the Chigger, but he is fast being replaced by the Deer Tick a microscopic varmint that leaves a whelp for weeks, and if that doesnt get your interest up, now there is a mite that is just as ferocious named the Grass Mite. Mow your lawn and they will dine on your ankles and legs, and where ever else they desire.
Plus flies we call Mayflies and Horseflies and believe it or not, the least of your worries...mosquitoes...........you may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if you are moving to get away from pests....and I may have left out a couple more just as viscious......................and I had no sooner posted this than I remembered....

Hornets,wasps,YELLOWJACKETS,bees,small bees we southerners call sweatbees!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:28 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,862,162 times
Actually based on the small-bird sized mosquitos I encountered in Maine and New Hampshire you have very little to worry about in Virginia.

I remember in Central Virginia in the summer that horse flies could get annoying and bite, but that only seemed to happen when we went swimming in lakes and they'd hover around our heads....

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM

183 posts, read 684,155 times
Keep in mind the further south you go the more bugs you have to deal with. Realistally, the only ones you have to deal with on a regular basis are the mosquitos and what we call "no-see-ums". Appropriately named because you can't see them but they can bite the fire out of you. They usually come out in the summer after a good rain shower. Mosquito repellant usually keeps them off of you. If you like tromping around in the woods or fields you will have to check yourself for ticks.

I'm in the process of moving to South Carolina where they have these bugs called palmetto bugs that look like a 2in. roach and they sometimes fly! The trade-off for the warm weather is worth it though.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 40,009 times
thanks guys - so I'm guessing if deer ticks are a big deal, Lyme Disease must be pretty rampant, am I right?
The black flies up here are the absolute worst, and the meanest little things - they sound a lot like the no-see-ums.
We also have lots of mosquitoes and horse flies - pain in the butt when you're trying to go for a walk...

Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM

624 posts, read 1,030,969 times
Default Ticks

Log Cabin Mom

It seems the deer ticks have supplanted brown ticks in this area, the big (no pun intended) problem with the deer tick, sans Lyme disease is they are soo hard to find , impossible to see until too late. Brown ticks of course are very visible.

The deer ticks leave painful bites that last for weeks, seems the brown tick bites arent as bad. Of course none of the insects mentioned are as bad in urban areas as rural areas where deer pass by or browse in your yard. And grass mites, are fazed by Off or bug repellent. I hate getting on the mower to mow due to them...maybe its me, seems I attract them more than other folks.

I used to like summer, but the deer ticks and grass mites in this area are much worse than chiggers and mosquitoes, now I put on insect repellant every day, which I don't think is healthy.

Give me winter anytime.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 22,570 times
we do have deerflies here nbut they are really only a problem in woodsy areas in the mornings and of course mosquitoes but with some citronella candles and bug spray its usually fine

Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,821,354 times
Yes there are critters here in Va but the difference, I believe, is in the northern colder climates when the weather breaks, biting bugs become very ferocious because their window of opportunity to breed successfully is much narrower than in the south. Sort of a feeding frenzy.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM

34 posts, read 140,928 times
Depends the part of VA. you are talking about...I live in Fredericksburg and have no problems with
bugs..
RTR

Old 07-17-2009, 06:02 AM

413 posts, read 817,965 times
Oh god, blackflies. I'm from Michigan originally, and I'm a biologist by trade, so I spend a LOT of time outside. NOTHING is worse than being outside during blackfly hatch. You've got your long-sleeves and your pants tucked into your socks to ward off ticks, but that just invites blackflies to find a nice place to snuggle in and bite the crap out of you.

Last year, I managed to catch the blackfly hatch in both the lower peninsula and the upper. Lucky me!

So far the biggest thing I've run into in Virginia is ticks. I have yet to run into chiggers (although I did get a pretty mild selection last time I was cutting wood in Michigan), and the mosquitoes are much less voracious than they are back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia