U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 AM

3 posts, read 1,306 times

Advertisements

Howdy yall! Going to get the list here done, and add more information to the bottom of my post. Thank you in advance.

When are you moving? Hopefully July to September 2017
Where are you coming from? Central Texas Area
Why are you moving? Get closer to family
Where will you be working? I currently have a fun part time job working at Gamestop. I am semi-retired. Dont need a ton of income, nor hours of work.
Have you been here yet? Only to Fort Eustis a long time ago for additional Army training. Dont remember much.

Will you buy or rent? Rent for at least 12 months
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Preferably one story Single Family Home. Max $350,000 (we prefer)
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Not too picky 3 Bedroom $1250-$1750
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up I suppose?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 3 Children 2nd grade and under.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public as long as the schools are teaching a proper curriculum to our children. Prefer to not pay for private schools, but will entertain the idea for quality education.
Do you have pets? 1 Indoor cat, 1 outdoor cat
Do you want or need a yard? Preferably, but not necessary while renting.
Are you keeping a car? Yes at least one vehicle with the intention of at least one more.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet with the bustle a short trip away. (1 hour one way to the bustle)

What do you want to be closest to? Basic Services, Shopping, Outdoors, Children / family activities

Unfortunately websites dont give the best advice as to specific wants and needs of a family. I have gathered information from several different sites, and compared several different "Top places to live" lists.
We are a young couple, 33 and 39 this year. Husband and wife are both disabled veterans of the Armed Forces, and very proud of our service to this great country! We have our 3 children, one in primary school, the other two in diapers. We are looking for a fun and safe community / city for our family to grow. We prefer to be able to send our children to school and not worry how well the teachers perform. We do not mind driving a few hours to make a day trip or overnighter to have some family fun. We like to travel. We would definitely prefer the small town feel with the amenities of a larger city. Population wise we were thinking 15,000 to 30,000 people. We are not incredibly political, but prefer to hang out with the Red leaning populace. We are also looking for a great church. Our ideal church will have a live band that plays more contemporary music than anything else, and will not bombard you to join groups or luncheons. Preferably somewhere we can go and praise God, and enjoy a lovely message from the bible. We would like to live a little secluded, and definitely not off of a busy road. No suburbs of large cities. I am not sure what else to put here and will be happy to respond to any questions yall have of us.

What I have found to be most suiting.. So far is the following cities/towns, and in no particular order.
Poquoson (Leary due to suburb type location)
Blacksburg (High population, but surrounding areas might be good)
Lexington (Low population)
Christiansburg
Forest (Low population)
Abingdon (Low population)
Wytheville (Low population)
Staunton
Winchester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 05:32 AM

P.S. Before I posted on here I went ahead and surfed 5 full forum pages and researched all I could off of the moving to VA posts I came across. That is actually how I ended up adding Staunton and Winchester!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:20 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,604,603 times
I moved here to Roanoke from Texas three years ago - so REAL LONG-TIME Virginians will help you a little more...but having said that...here are a few thoughts...

Forest is essentially the spillover from Lynchburg so not really the "small" that you think.

Blacksburg is actually smaller in population than Christiansburg, but has the university. In some sense, Blacksburg/Christiansburg tend to spill over into one another and the retail of Christiansburg is concentrated right near the middle of the two.

Christiansburg could be a great choice, and it is a gorgeous area. It is also pretty convenient to the HUGE Veterans Hospital in Salem, which has a fairly good reputation as VA facilities go!

Abingdon/Wytheville have quite a bit different culture than the rest of Virginia - much more Appalachian. Makes for delightful cultural opportunities, not to mention beautiful areas, but it may or may not be a good fit for you. It's definitely RED these days (much like West Virginia) but there are a lot of SHADES of red these days, and the unemployment from the changes in the coal economy might make for some social issues.

As far as finding an "anonymous" church I think you probably realize that the larger the city, the easier that is to do. The smaller the town, the harder it is to be anonymous. So keep that in mind.

I don't know if you would consider Salem itself. It is definitely RED and VERY DESIRABLE schools, and of course the VA. Population between 20-30K.

BUT as far as I experience it, Salem/Roanoke is all one big blob. But don't tell people in Salem that. They are EXTREMELY happy with their area and DEFINITELY do not think they are part of Roanoke!

But I think I WOULD keep it on my list! And you would have a HUGE option of churches. The hot thing in the area now are the branches of Elevation, which is actually a church from Charlotte NC.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 AM

6,544 posts, read 10,811,677 times
Staunton will provide many more options for everything you've mentioned. As will Winchester. But Winchester, at least parts of it, is starting to see Northern VA style traffic. Granted it's confined to certain areas so be careful and ask for advice if you look at Winchester. I live near here and am glad I didn't choose Winchester just because of the traffic. Granted, minutes away from these areas and you can be in the country. I love the Staunton area to include the downtown but it was too far from my work when we moved so we settled on Edinburg. Stay in the Shenandoah Valley if you want beautiful country although there are beautiful mountains and valleys in some of the other areas as well.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,604,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
But I think I WOULD keep it on my list!...

Just to clarify...I was talking about SALEM, VA when I said "keep it on my list!"

Please note that one-story homes are few and far between in this hilly terrain. This is especially true of the newer and older homes. In the Salem and Roanoke area, it seems that your best bet is to look for homes built in the 1950s and 1960s when the ranch-style plague seemed to go hand in hand with suburban sprawl. (Sorry for the editorializing, but there ya go...)

And of course basements are extremely common, unlike many parts of Texas.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 AM

Watchful and Bigfoot,

Thank you both for your quick responses. My wife and I are still researching more areas, but so far I like my list of 10. We are honestly leaning more towards Salem for the first year. Seems like a good centralized area to start so we can explore the state while we rent for a year. I truly appreciate all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia