U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM
 
3,672 posts, read 6,024,630 times
Reputation: 4222

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
False. A) Richmond is very different from Raleigh, and they're easily distinguished from each other. B) Richmond has a tremendous amount of character, history and offers a more urban professional lifestyle that contrasts Raleigh's largely suburban professional vibe. Both are great for families. Raleigh has more tech and Richmond has more classic business and industry.
i feel like the people and the arts scene are both more interesting in Richmond vs Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,121 posts, read 2,749,190 times
Reputation: 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
if youre from raleigh not really sure what richmond will do, if anything its a lesser raleigh
Definitely not! How about you move to Raleigh? You don't seem to like Richmond anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM
 
96 posts, read 130,767 times
Reputation: 142
I'm not understanding the "Raleigh and Richmond are similar" thoughts either. They're not similar. Richmond has a more urban feel and a significant crunchy vibe's developed in the past decade. Raleigh is a much more suburban area with a young family on the climb vibe.

Richmond's a good city for your 20s and early 30s. Raleigh's a good city for your mid 30s and 40s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM
 
627 posts, read 269,217 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Definitely not! How about you move to Raleigh? You don't seem to like Richmond anyway...
My family is from Raleigh and now in Richmond...

but if you're from Raleigh, Northern VA has a lot more new things to offer if you want to live in something different than Raleigh. I still think both are pretty similar.

personally I'd take NC over VA any day, but the OP wants to move and honestly richmond is a downgrade from Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 07:07 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,227,554 times
Reputation: 1640
I want something a little different from Raleigh, possibly an area that doesn't feel quite as suburban and shiny/new. At the same time, I still want an area that is very liberal, diverse, and somewhat international.

I'm definitely leaving NC for VA, though. I'm just researching my top choices, Richmond and NOVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,544 posts, read 10,811,677 times
Reputation: 5544
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
My family is from Raleigh and now in Richmond...

but if you're from Raleigh, Northern VA has a lot more new things to offer if you want to live in something different than Raleigh. I still think both are pretty similar.

personally I'd take NC over VA any day, but the OP wants to move and honestly richmond is a downgrade from Raleigh.

10-20 years ago I would have agreed with you but Richmond has changed, dramatically, over the years and is nothing like the Richmond of old. Maybe where your family is located it's a downgrade but overall Richmond has many great features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,227,554 times
Reputation: 1640
I guess it's just the fact that transplants aren't pouring into the Richmond metro like they're pouring into Raleigh/Durham, and Richmond lacking a tech scene. Richmond isn't too Sun Belt-ish, keep in mind. Still a well-rounded metro on many fronts, though. I think Richmond is far more interesting than Raleigh, and of course Richmond is far more historic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM
 
627 posts, read 269,217 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I guess it's just the fact that transplants aren't pouring into the Richmond metro like they're pouring into Raleigh/Durham, and Richmond lacking a tech scene. Richmond isn't too Sun Belt-ish, keep in mind. Still a well-rounded metro on many fronts, though. I think Richmond is far more interesting than Raleigh, and of course Richmond is far more historic.
The only thing Richmond has going for you is the history, but be careful... The way some of the city and state politicians act that history will be gone soon unfortunately.

Richmond has had the same population forever, its stagnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
546 posts, read 526,263 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
The only thing Richmond has going for you is the history, but be careful... The way some of the city and state politicians act that history will be gone soon unfortunately.

Richmond has had the same population forever, its stagnant.
Be real. The city’s population jumped nearly 7.9 percent from 2010 to 2015. The city's added about 20k since the early 00s and besides Alexandria, is the fastest growing mid-size city in VA. And since 2000, the metro has added about 210k new residents. City population really means very little, but RVA's downtown/city center population is at mounting the 20k retail sweet spot. On top of this, VCU's Monroe Park campus has ballooned from 9,000 students in the late 90s to 31,000 students. For anyone living here long enough, that reality is pretty clear to see. The overall growth is pretty evident, viscerally and visually - look at all the new developments, parks, revitalization of downtown, etc + the introduction of out-of-market retail throughout the metro and the fusion of independent and local flair that has exploded. Shoot, look at Scott's Addition for crying out loud.

To me, it seems you're actually down on VA. Like you'd prefer something a little more Red. Me personally, I think VA look's quite nice in Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM
 
627 posts, read 269,217 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Be real. The city’s population jumped nearly 7.9 percent from 2010 to 2015. The city's added about 20k since the early 00s and besides Alexandria, is the fastest growing mid-size city in VA. And since 2000, the metro has added about 210k new residents. City population really means very little, but RVA's downtown/city center population is at mounting the 20k retail sweet spot. On top of this, VCU's Monroe Park campus has ballooned from 9,000 students in the late 90s to 31,000 students. For anyone living here long enough, that reality is pretty clear to see. The overall growth is pretty evident, viscerally and visually - look at all the new developments, parks, revitalization of downtown, etc + the introduction of out-of-market retail throughout the metro and the fusion of independent and local flair that has exploded. Shoot, look at Scott's Addition for crying out loud.

To me, it seems you're actually down on VA. Like you'd prefer something a little more Red. Me personally, I think VA look's quite nice in Blue.
Not really sure what politics has to do with it... I wouldn't be saying Raleigh is better than average if I wanted "something a little more Red" given the fact Raleigh is blue as well?

Richmond added 20k since the 200s, Raleigh... well over 125k...

I'm done arguing about this. 10 minutes of research proves Raleigh is way above Richmond in so many categories. Yall need to realize Richmond is average, the only thing it has going for it is history. Even VA has moved on, NOVA is the major part of the state.

OP, I'd go to NOVA. Even if you want the history, you can see everything around Richmond in a week easily. But NOVA is booming while Richmond is still crawling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top