U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM

4,161 posts, read 2,783,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
Not really sure what politics has to do with it... I wouldn't be saying Raleigh is better than average if I wanted "something a little more Red" given the fact Raleigh is blue as well?

Richmond added 20k since the 200s, Raleigh... well over 125k...

I'm done arguing about this. 10 minutes of research proves Raleigh is way above Richmond in so many categories. Yall need to realize Richmond is average, the only thing it has going for it is history. Even VA has moved on, NOVA is the major part of the state.

OP, I'd go to NOVA. Even if you want the history, you can see everything around Richmond in a week easily. But NOVA is booming while Richmond is still crawling.
Stop it, please...

Jay Jay, I sincerely hope you don't allow Debbie Downer here to negatively impact your decision. As you know, Raleigh has its merits over Richmond, and vice versa. People who come here from Raleigh or anywhere in NC, really, aren't looking to replicate the feel and culture of Raleigh--it's so different. And you sound like you fit that category...

Debbie here just hates Richmond and his experiences are valid, but they are HIS experiences. This is a wonderful city that is barely beginning to scratch the surface of its potential, and I'd take it over Nova any day...

Raleigh is cool, have been many times, my woman is from there and we're considering moving there within a couple years. The environment and culture is opposite of Richmond, but it would be false for anybody to claim either city is far and away ahead of the other. Doesn't sound like Debbie knows Raleigh well enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM

627 posts, read 271,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Stop it, please...

Jay Jay, I sincerely hope you don't allow Debbie Downer here to negatively impact your decision. As you know, Raleigh has its merits over Richmond, and vice versa. People who come here from Raleigh or anywhere in NC, really, aren't looking to replicate the feel and culture of Raleigh--it's so different. And you sound like you fit that category...

Debbie here just hates Richmond and his experiences are valid, but they are HIS experiences. This is a wonderful city that is barely beginning to scratch the surface of its potential, and I'd take it over Nova any day...

Raleigh is cool, have been many times, my woman is from there and we're considering moving there within a couple years. The environment and culture is opposite of Richmond, but it would be false for anybody to claim either city is far and away ahead of the other. Doesn't sound like Debbie knows Raleigh well enough...
Once again, we are from Raleigh.

I'm not a Debbie-Downer, although I do disagree with you about how great you try to make Richmond out to be. I'm done arguing about Richmond vs. Raleigh (I'll make a new thread if you want to continue this,) as all I've gotten so far in return is pointless name-calling.

Richmond isn't anywhere close to it's potential, I agree. But that's not gonna happen any time soon. VA is growing up in the northern part.

Please give me three good reasons how Richmond is better than NOVA... that's crazy.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM

891 posts, read 757,146 times
Debbie doesn't seem to know Virginia very well.

Northern Virginia has been the economic center of the commonwealth since the late 60's (hasn't stolen that title from Richmond lately by any stretch). Northern Virginia is actually going through a contraction at the moment though. Office vacency rates are soaring (Tyson's rate is twice that of downtown Richmond) the population is stagnating, home prices are appreciating below the national average. Sequestration is hurting the economy there even more than in Tidewater. The current administration's random freeze on new federal employees will only exacerbate the situation. It's still a major economic center. We need not shed a tear for our NoVa friends just yet.

Meanwhile, Richmond has become the primary destination for millennisls in Virginia. The city's population is soaring and the job market is keeping pace with said growth.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 PM

627 posts, read 271,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Debbie doesn't seem to know Virginia very well.

Northern Virginia has been the economic center of the commonwealth since the late 60's (hasn't stolen that title from Richmond lately by any stretch). Northern Virginia is actually going through a contraction at the moment though. Office vacency rates are soaring (Tyson's rate is twice that of downtown Richmond) the population is stagnating, home prices are appreciating below the national average. Sequestration is hurting the economy there even more than in Tidewater. The current administration's random freeze on new federal employees will only exacerbate the situation. It's still a major economic center. We need not shed a tear for our NoVa friends just yet.

Meanwhile, Richmond has become the primary destination for millennisls in Virginia. The city's population is soaring and the job market is keeping pace with said growth.
20k change in 15+ years is soaring... Hmmmm

The way you build up Richmond maybe yall would be interested in moving our nation's capital to Richmond too because D.C. can't keep up with us?

This is crazy.

Oh no, D.C./NOVA suburbs and Raleigh are better job markets currently! 11 best U.S. cities for job seekers - CBS News

Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 PM

552 posts, read 531,207 times
Quote:

The way you build up Richmond maybe yall would be interested in moving our nation's capital to Richmond too because D.C. can't keep up with us?

This is crazy.

Oh no, D.C./NOVA suburbs and Raleigh are better job markets currently! 11 best U.S. cities for job seekers - CBS News
If you like the culture and flow of Raleigh, you should consider moving back there once you have the opportunity. These cities are so different with different +/- and different people will be drawn to them. I feel pretty much about Raleigh the way you do about Richmond. Sure, there are some lovely areas, but it's lacking in the things I think a city should be. To put it another way, for me Raleigh tastes a little like a store bought cake; tastes good, looks perfect but there's something off/artificial about it. To me, Richmond tastes like homemade; it might not come out looking perfect, but it's got that special something that makes you feel good. I've actually turned down positions in the Raleigh area because it's just not my thing. Different but parallel experience in Philly; I knew that at some point, I had to get out - I can appreciate it soo much more from afar and visiting friends/family, but could never live there again. Maybe RVA is like that for you.

Last edited by aquest1; 02-22-2017 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 03:05 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Once again, we are from Raleigh.

I'm not a Debbie-Downer, although I do disagree with you about how great you try to make Richmond out to be. I'm done arguing about Richmond vs. Raleigh (I'll make a new thread if you want to continue this,) as all I've gotten so far in return is pointless name-calling.

Richmond isn't anywhere close to it's potential, I agree. But that's not gonna happen any time soon. VA is growing up in the northern part.

Please give me three good reasons how Richmond is better than NOVA... that's crazy.

Thought you were done?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,243,500 times
Do y'all think Richmond is more so on the same level as the NC Piedmont Triad? Greensboro/Winston-Salem, that is. Or is it fair to place Raleigh/Durham and Richmond in the same boat? Clearly, NOVA is in another league, for better or for worse.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
I really don't think there is a comparison. I view Richmond as more urban compared to the Raleigh area although Raleigh has certainly grown over the last 20 years. I see Richmond as "older" compared to NC but this older tends to mean more history. It really is two different areas and you'll just need to visit and compare the 2.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM

494 posts, read 324,429 times
Quote:

This is crazy.

He also said that the metro has grown by 210k. Richmond is independent from its counties, unlike Raleigh. You know that. If Richmond was apart of Henrico or Chesterfield the number would be alot more than 20k.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 PM

4,161 posts, read 2,783,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Do y'all think Richmond is more so on the same level as the NC Piedmont Triad? Greensboro/Winston-Salem, that is. Or is it fair to place Raleigh/Durham and Richmond in the same boat? Clearly, NOVA is in another league, for better or for worse.
It's a bit insulting to compare Richmond to the Triad cities. Maybe metro-to-metro, there are similar offerings. But core city Richmond to core cities Greensboro/Winston, this is not a fair comparison at all. Richmond feels much larger than either of those two, the core city is much more enthralling and there is no real arena of importance that Greensboro or Winston stack up well against Richmond in...

Raleigh and Richmond, while being cultural opposites, are most certainly peers. RDU is larger as a metro but I'm also not sure it's accurate to say RDU as a metro blows Greater Richmond away. For starters, within Greater Richmond is a huge tourist draw (Kings Dominion) that has no parallel in Raleigh, not to mention Richmond's proximity to DC is an unmatched advantage. Going to DC is not a trip people do every day unless they work near there, but many people go often. It's not far, and not difficult to get to, traffic notwithstanding. So, I don't know where this though of the Triangle being so much greater as a region comes from. Size without context with closely-sized cities and regions is irrelevant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or