U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,032 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I grew up in NJ and my wife is from Texas. We are having our first child in 5 months and we have been looking to were we would like to settle down for the rest of our lives. I have been to Virginia and love the state and so does my wife. We are currently both in the military and will be getting out in 4 years. I have a bachelors degree in Psychology and she has her associates degree for radiologist technician.

We are in search of a simple life. We would like to have some land that we can garden on and be as self sufficient as possible. We don't want much and don't need much. Just a small house on a nice property were we can raise animals and plant a nice garden. We like privacy, but also want a nice community with people that help each other. A great place were a child can grow up.

As far as jobs go we are flexible. It does not have to be a job related to our field and we would actually prefer to find part time jobs to live off of. We wont be spending a lot of money monthly and therefore don't need to much income. A big concern with this move is being able to find a job.

We are willing to spend no more than 200,000 dollars on a nice property with a house on it.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to help us. This is a big step for our family and I'm sure we will be getting a lot of great information from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 01:40 AM

When are you moving? In 4 years, but will be buying the property next year.
Where are you coming from? We are in the military so we are always moving around.
Why are you moving? After we get out of the military we are looking to settle down somewhere and grow some roots.
Where will you be working? My wife an I want to get part time jobs and live simply.
Have you been here yet? I have visited Virginia before and am originally from NJ.

Will you buy or rent? We will be buying.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? We can spend no more than 200,000 dollars.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with our first child due in 5 months.
Do you prefer public or private schools? We prefer public schools.
Do you have pets? 2 dogs
Do you want or need a yard? We need a yard and would like it to be over 5 acres. The bigger the yard the better.
Are you keeping a car? Yes we will have a car
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We prefer calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? Work and a nice community downtown. Larger stores within 1 hour driving distance.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:28 AM

363 posts, read 435,385 times
Look at Franklin county. Maybe around the Rocky Mount area which has the basics and is ~ 30 to 45 mins south of Tanglewood in southern Roanoke for more.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:18 AM

Thank you for your recommendation. We just got done looking at the real estate in that area and found a couple nice properties we like. I love the idea of being within an hour drive of Roanoke. Are there any other towns or counties outside of Roanoke that we should also look at? Being around nature and hiking trails nearby is very important.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,650,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingFree90 View Post
Thank you for your recommendation. We just got done looking at the real estate in that area and found a couple nice properties we like. I love the idea of being within an hour drive of Roanoke. Are there any other towns or counties outside of Roanoke that we should also look at? Being around nature and hiking trails nearby is very important.
Of the rural areas around Roanoke, parts of Botetourt County and SW Roanoke County could provide a nice combination of quiet rural setting but also access to better schools, especially at the secondary level. Lots of hiking trails in all directions from Roanoke.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:26 AM

79 posts, read 74,567 times
Better late than never, but check out the Tri-Cities area too. You'll have Bristol VA, Abingdon VA, and some smaller towns to look at working in, or even right over the state line in TN you've got Johnson City, Kingsport, and the other half of Bristol. I grew up in and around Abingdon, great small town feel, lots of land out in the hills you could afford a retreat at.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM

201 posts, read 128,058 times
Hi Living Free,
With your wife being a radiology tech it might be helpful to check out what towns/areas are closest to a hospital or health care center. I agree it sounds like you would like Franklin area, my thought is, if you get in the right spot you may have access to more jobs because many towns are near the NC border.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingFree90 View Post
When are you moving? In 4 years, but will be buying the property next year.
Where are you coming from? We are in the military so we are always moving around.
Why are you moving? After we get out of the military we are looking to settle down somewhere and grow some roots.
Where will you be working? My wife an I want to get part time jobs and live simply.
Have you been here yet? I have visited Virginia before and am originally from NJ.

Will you buy or rent? We will be buying.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? We can spend no more than 200,000 dollars.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with our first child due in 5 months.
Do you prefer public or private schools? We prefer public schools.
Do you have pets? 2 dogs
Do you want or need a yard? We need a yard and would like it to be over 5 acres. The bigger the yard the better.
Are you keeping a car? Yes we will have a car
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We prefer calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? Work and a nice community downtown. Larger stores within 1 hour driving distance.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 PM

Great suggestions, thank you guys. If jobs were a none issue. What town in your opinion would be the best for a 5 plus acre homestead to have animals on and a vegetable garden. With a nice community that has very little crime. We are looking for beautiful land with not many restrictions. We would love mostly trees on our property with the exception of a nice cleared area for the garden and animals. It is very windy in some places of SW Virginia and if we wanted to be picky we would rather be in an area that wasn't. I appreciate your opinions more than you know and thank you for taking the time to help us gain knowledge on the area.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 5,147,188 times
You might want to check out the Roanoke sub-forum - lots and lots of threads about life in Sw VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or