Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times

Advertisements

Southern/SW Virginia is certainly beautiful but it doesn't really compare to western NC. I certainly understand the "cooler in summer" part. Another suggestion would be around Saluda and Brevard, NC. Keep in mind, too, cooler in summer translates into way more snow in winter.

For a more temperate climate Bedford, Amherst and Nelson are fabulous. Four distinct season without the snow, cold of Blowing Rock, Black Mountain, etc.

A lot depends on how much land, amenities needed and how much money you want to spend. Lots of beautiful views but it can get pricey.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
I'd be careful with Roanoke. I recently spoke with a Roanoke police officer and I was surprised at the crime issues they've been having. But in response to your question. The best views are typically not in the town centers. Most good views are away from the towns a little but not necessarily far. If I can figure this out I'll post a couple pics of my neighborhood.

I can't get it to work but there is a good pic in this post I took and it's right around the corner from our house outside of Edinburg, VA.

Retiring in the mountains

Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM

99 posts, read 188,587 times
We've been looking into both areas too. Use to own land in Waynesville, NC which I think is the most gorgeous area. We love the Shenandoah area too. Hoping to move to one of these areas some day.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
In VA, I'd say, in general, the Shenandoah Valley has better views than east of the Blue Ridge. In the Valley there are more "open" views due to fewer trees, more rolling pasture and meadows.

The Staunton, Waynesboro, Stuart's Draft (Augusta County) area offers a lot of great views, lots of hiking in all directions, and some nice small city/town amenities. Historic downtown Staunton is especially lovely. And you can find homes on a few acres with great views throughout much of Augusta County for quite a bit cheaper than the Charlottesville and Harrisonburg areas.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Page County, VA has some of the most beautiful views.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'd be careful with Roanoke. I recently spoke with a Roanoke police officer and I was surprised at the crime issues they've been having.
That's surprising to hear.

But then again, I'm in the Danville area, so Roanoke looks like a strawberry cheesecake compared to Danville, which is broccoli.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:45 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
That's surprising to hear.

But then again, I'm in the Danville area, so Roanoke looks like a strawberry cheesecake compared to Danville, which is broccoli.
I'm sure there's more crime in Roanoke than in Edinburg (pop. 1,059)

Yeah Roanoke is a metro area of almost 300K - with all of the pluses and minuses of being a metro area of almost 300K.

As far as VIEWS go, you really have to check it out! And figure out what you want. There are backyard decks right in the center city that have incredible views of the mountains. Then there are rural-ish McMansions that are UP in the mountains so you have views looking down.

They are so prolific that you can easily find something that floats your boat.

I would have NO desire to live on an isolated road just so that I had a view when I see mountains in all four directions from my house 3 miles from downtown. I prefer to live on a reasonably flat street so I don't have to "drive to go take a walk" haha! But others like their "retreat-ish" setting. So definitely come visit. And you don't need to bring an assault rifle to walk around downtown LOL!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I'm sure there's more crime in Roanoke than in Edinburg (pop. 1,059)

Yeah Roanoke is a metro area of almost 300K - with all of the pluses and minuses of being a metro area of almost 300K.

As far as VIEWS go, you really have to check it out! And figure out what you want. There are backyard decks right in the center city that have incredible views of the mountains. Then there are rural-ish McMansions that are UP in the mountains so you have views looking down.

They are so prolific that you can easily find something that floats your boat.

I would have NO desire to live on an isolated road just so that I had a view when I see mountains in all four directions from my house 3 miles from downtown. I prefer to live on a reasonably flat street so I don't have to "drive to go take a walk" haha! But others like their "retreat-ish" setting. So definitely come visit. And you don't need to bring an assault rifle to walk around downtown LOL!

I certainly wasn't trying to disparage Roanoke as I love the area. But this friend was a LEO in a bigger and busier city before moving his family to Roanoke to get into the mountains and he was surprised at how busy it is. He doesn't regret the move at all.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM

97 posts, read 188,778 times
Tough to beat Page County or Shenandoah County for the views...

Old 02-21-2017, 04:21 PM

419 posts, read 901,815 times
Route 151, up on the blue ridge, route 56 in nelson county all lead to and have great mountain views. Afton as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia