U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

Hello all I am new to the site and hope that I am doing this right.
We are a family of 6 I will be recieving my teaching license in 2009 and would like to know any information about the Henrico county area it would be greatly appreciated My husband works for UPS so a transfer will happen with his job I would like to work in the school system. I have a daughter and son In High School One in Middle school and one in Public school so schools are VERY important to me we are tired of the city life but would love easy access to shopping we both drive and have 2 cars we are looking to rent until we know which area to buy in I would like a townhouse community we live in a 3 bedroom apartment which isnt bad we have been to VA about 3 times on short visits and I also read about some apartment communities and everything that I read was not possitive so I joined this site for more help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM

846 posts, read 3,058,203 times
So you want to know where to live around Richmond?

How much do you want to spend? Have you thought of sending out resumes to various local school systems to see where you can get an offer before settling on an area? That might help you narrow down your search.

If you don't want to live in an urban area, you might consider looking to rent a house rather than an apartment, as the suburban and rural areas have more of that sort of lower-density housing.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,129,608 times
Default Henrico/Richmond

The Henrico area is perhaps one of the best places in the state to live in regards to shopping opportunities, schools in the Richmond area. Richmond has an ideal location: 2 hrs from DC, 1 hr to the Blue Ridge Mtns/Pkwy, 1 hr to Williamsburg and 2 hrs to Va Beach. The economy there seems bright and employment opportunities are good due to the state govt with new and expanding firms. Richmond City has always had it share of urban issues and I think the entire region gets a bad rap. When you move to Richmond have an open mind. The City has a proud history and they would like to preserve the old buildings and historical sites. The trend in many southern cities(like Charlotte, Atlanta, etc) is to tear down the past and build modern, efficient
buildings. Richmond prefers a different approach.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM

157 posts, read 514,711 times
Henrico Co is a nice area. It can also be pricey. I'd be sure to look up jobs for yourself asap, just get info. My friend is a teacher (with experience) and she just moved here. She figured she'd apply as a substitute in Chesterfield County and they're not even taking applications- they have 1800 teachers.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 90,953 times
I've lived in the Richmond/Henrico/Hanover area for almost all of my life. Typically the cheaper places you'll find to live are not as safe. I agree with vanyali, you'd probably have much better luck trying to rent a house from a private owner. You're more likely to find a good place in a safe neighborhood with decent prices. I'd suggest you stay away from the West End as things can get very pricey and I'm no fond of the schools in that area. I went to Patrick Henry High School is Ashland, 30 minutes north of Richmond, in Hanover county and we used to joke about how the West End school kids had rich air and school buses.

I went to and elementary school in Henrico and a private school, but as for middle and high schools I'm not sure which area is the best and I have a slight biased oppinion.

Do /not/ move to chesterfield if you won't care to be swallowed up in traffic and over population. It's ridiculous. I've been told the fan isn't a bad area.

Richmond City schools are not the best. I'd choose henrico over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or