Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 AM

11 posts, read 33,133 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate any info about this area of the state. I had a very good response about a month ago, but could use all the help we can get. A job was posted at my husbands work and he's bid on it. It looks like it a high possiblitiy we will be moving in the near future. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by WhiteBuffalo; 12-03-2006 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 PM

96 posts, read 384,304 times
Default Wytheville..surronding area

I have some distant family that live in Wytheville, I've been there a few times, and for the most part I will say its a very pleasant place. Wytheville has a very nice downtown area, that appears to be vibrant as well...plus, housing prices are very affordable...as far as social life, not too sure there...there are some areas nearby that might - depending on what you like - offer more options...for instance the New River Valley region (Radford, Blacksburg, Christiansburg) is about 40 miles to the northeast, and this area offers a "high energy" college environment (Virginia Tech and Radford University) with all the corresponding amenities and culture (resturants, night life, univerity activities, football games, ect.)

Then on the other end - to the southwest - you have Abingdon, which is a nice little historic nook....

Good place to live..good luck

Last edited by WillV; 12-04-2006 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM

232 posts, read 1,718,151 times
I am from southwest Virginia. I have lived in Atlanta for about 6 years now. I went to college at Wytheville Community College. That area is not exactly the most exciting to live in if you are looking for big city amenities and activities. That is PRECISELY why many people choose to live there. No traffic, no crime, no urban sprawl. People in that part of the state are generally very hospitable. Most people refer to that particular region as the TRI Counties. (Wythe, Grayson, and Carroll Counties). It is very scenic and maintains a strong rural feel to it. There is a little bit of shopping in the area... outlet mall at I-77 and I-81. Yes, downtown wytheville is nice and neat and I'll even go so far as to suggest a good restaurant, the Log Cabin. I went there with my now wife for our junior and senior prom. I suppose it is still there, I haven't been to Wytheville in 5 - 6 years. For a town its size, Wytheville enjoys a rather strong dining selection. This is also due to it's location at the area where two interstates meet, bringing a lot of passers by through the town. On that same note, make it a point to visit Grayson and Carroll County when deciding where to move. Neither of the three have a very strong job market, but depending on what line of work you do now, you could be okay. There are really no white collar jobs to speak of. Human services do okay there.
Expanding the region out a bit, you are quite close to a few major towns. Blacksburg and Roanoke are within an hours drive of Wytheville. To the south you are roughly 2 hours from Charlotte or Winston-Salem, NC. These are all places you can go when you want your fill of the big city and go back home. You are also about 3 hours from Eastern Tennessee (Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Smokey Mountains). You can take a relatively easy day trip to Washington D.C. Get up early though, as it is about a 4 hour drive, maybe a little more.
I notice in your post that your husband may have a job lined up. If that is the case, I would say go for it. Where are you from? I know that if it were convenient and the job situation was better, I'd go back in a minute.

Also, if you like outdoors activities and move to that area, you will be pleased. You have the New River, several hiking and biking trails, and quite a few outdoors festival type things. You are only an hour or so from snow skiing in WV. There you will find many inexpensive skiing locations.... let me know if you have any more questions. I like to talk about my hometown.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 33,133 times
Thanks for your thoughts and insights. I love the mountains and outdoors, and from some of the pictures I have seen, it looks beautiful. We would be moving from the Lexington, KY area, but I am originally from Western NY (mountains and dairy farms). We are just waiting now to see if he gets an interview...should find out some thing by the end of next week.
Thanks again! If anyone has anymore to add, please do.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM

Well, let me say that you should be pleased if you live in the area and have an okay job. It is the type of place that you don't have to really worry about locking your doors and so forth. I have heard really good things about Lexington, though. I often put it on my list of places to visit to consider moving to if I had the opportunity.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 AM

56 posts, read 223,324 times
I am also moving to that same area.I took a job there and will be moving there in February.I was up there a little over a week ago. The area is beautiful, all the people I met were very friendly.I had car trouble while I was there and since I had been without work for a while, I explained to the guy at the shop, I had very little money to work with. I left that town with new brakes for 60.00. Everyone I came in contact with was friendly, and I'm excited about it. I've had a problem however hooking up with people over the net to talk about the area, so I joined this forum and last night started a group on Yahoo for newcomers to SW Va. I'm hoping that will be helpful also.So far it's only me but you are welcome to look into it,anytime.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:19 AM

I'm not a newcomer, but sort of hail myself as the ambassador to SW Va around here. I'll take a look into the group.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,196,878 times
Default Hey Steven2149!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
I'm not a newcomer, but sort of hail myself as the ambassador to SW Va around here. I'll take a look into the group.

You are just that, Steven2149. I've been intently reading many of your posts and using them in planning my trip in June to southwestern VA where I hope to relocate within the next five years or so. I think you have me hooked on the Roanoke area as it doesn't seem to be growing by leaps and bounds and that's good for me. I don't want to live in Roanoke and probably not even the county, but at least 30 miles or so away.

I know you've mentioned Giles County to me. Do you know anything about Craig, Lee, Scott, and other western counties? I've received a few posts about Craig but am always wanting to learn more. I'm learning all I can on the web, but it's always nice to hear it first hand from someone who knows.

I just want to be in a place where the weather is usually delightful and I definitely am hoping the place I choose won't grow like crazy in my lifetime. I've given up on the mountains of NC and TN because of the people moving in rapidly. No, thank you! I'd love a view of the mountains from my home and every time I travel not too far from home.

Do you think Floyd, Carroll, and Grayson counties have the great view of the mountains as I am certain the counties further west do?

Thanks Steven2149 or anyone else who can clue me in.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,430,140 times
SW Virginia is probably the most beautiful place I have seen in the eastern states,that's the reason I moved to Roanoke years ago. I'd pass through there on I-77 on the way back and forth to FL and wanted a place that was sort of in between FL and NJ.
I knew a nurse that was from that area and she never had trouble finding work. I'd like to get back there someday.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,196,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
SW Virginia is probably the most beautiful place I have seen in the eastern states,that's the reason I moved to Roanoke years ago. I'd pass through there on I-77 on the way back and forth to FL and wanted a place that was sort of in between FL and NJ.
I knew a nurse that was from that area and she never had trouble finding work. I'd like to get back there someday.

Good luck.
Thanks! Southwestern VA really sounds like the kind of place for which I'm searching!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia