U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,242,340 times

Advertisements

Politics shouldn't play a role in this situation. I know VA is heading in a more progressive direction, but small southside towns like South Boston and Clarksville are (sadly) always going to be left in the dust. Perhaps there are some benefits if the OP chooses South Boston, but is it really worth living in rural southside VA if Raleigh/Durham is only an hour down the road? These areas of southern VA are quite conservative, while Raleigh/Durham is the most progressive metro in NC. Again, hope it doesn't sound like I'm offending or stereotyping, but you have to be straightforward in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 AM

4,504 posts, read 2,955,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Politics shouldn't play a role in this situation. I know VA is heading in a more progressive direction, but small southside towns like South Boston and Clarksville are (sadly) always going to be left in the dust. Perhaps there are some benefits if the OP chooses South Boston, but is it really worth living in rural southside VA if Raleigh/Durham is only an hour down the road? These areas of southern VA are quite conservative, while Raleigh/Durham is the most progressive metro in NC. Again, hope it doesn't sound like I'm offending or stereotyping, but you have to be straightforward in this situation.
You hit the nail on the head. Southside VA is economically dead. Hell, even eastern NC has a better economic outlook, though not by much.

Southside VA has great country scenery that's hard to beat, but scenery doesn't pay the bills.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,242,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Southside VA is economically dead. Hell, even eastern NC has a better economic outlook, though not by much.

Southside VA has great country scenery that's hard to beat, but scenery doesn't pay the bills.
Exactly. I've met people from Clarksville who travel down to Raleigh/Durham every weekend for better amenities, and I heard of one person in Virgilina who commuted to Durham for work. These western pockets of Southside VA are definitely connected to NC. In Mecklenburg County, they pick up the Raleigh news (WRAL) instead of Richmond.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 03-26-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM

2,408 posts, read 3,054,437 times
"In Mecklenburg County, they pick up the Raleigh news (WRAL) instead of Richmond."...correct, I never watch Richmond news, but DTV offers both Richmond and Raleigh networks. Raleigh/Durham is our "go to" for big shopping, entertainment, etc....it's only 75 miles.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 3,368 times
I really appreciate the input. We like rural areas but are looking closer to durham to be closer to the ammernites and in better schools for the kids. I will be working about 1 mile south of the Va / NC boarder so if we go too far south I'm going to have a trek to get to work every day.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM

1,611 posts, read 2,615,206 times
Be sure and post in the Raleigh/Durham section for some help with this!

Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 1,590 times
Hello, my work may transfer me to South Boston, VA. I am looking for some alternative for place to live and commute to work instead of living in South Boston! I have been there personally but I heard not much to do there !I an 30's and live by myself very active outdoorsy (mainly Hiking, Biking etc) but I need to find a good group of other active people ( maybe a university campus ) to go out with etc. just looking at map Durham is the closest bigger city and Roxbro sounds something between ... any suggestion for me ?!! Thanks

Old 11-23-2018, 03:47 PM

3,099 posts, read 4,122,548 times
Roxboro is better because itís closer to Durham and Raleigh

Old 11-24-2018, 06:44 AM

6 posts, read 3,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSahar View Post
Hello, my work may transfer me to South Boston, VA. I am looking for some alternative for place to live and commute to work instead of living in South Boston! I have been there personally but I heard not much to do there !I an 30's and live by myself very active outdoorsy (mainly Hiking, Biking etc) but I need to find a good group of other active people ( maybe a university campus ) to go out with etc. just looking at map Durham is the closest bigger city and Roxbro sounds something between ... any suggestion for me ?!! Thanks
How long of a drive do you want? My wife and I are in our mid-30's and we have 2 kids. I have lived here for over 1.5 yrs after relocating to Roxboro from CA. From my house it is a 40+/- min drive to Danville, South Boston, or Durham. Durham is about the only place you are going to find a very active night life but like most big cities there are some really rough parts. I work for a large wood products company on the Va boarder in Roxboro and it seems like all the management people live in Roxboro / Timberlake and the hourly guys live in Danville, Halifax, or South Boston, VA. From what I gather property taxes are less in NC but sales taxes are lower in VA. We do a lot of shopping in Danville because it has better grocery stores and much cheaper gas (about $.25-$.40 /gallon).

Feel free to PM me if you have more detailed questions about the area.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 1,590 times
Thanks KirkOrden and tharheehombre 🙂 it sounds Roxboro could be better option to live and drive to south Boston for work ! Is it safe drive all year around ? I live in Canada right now so some roads are not really good to drive specially in winter time even for much shorter dostances !
For me the fear of living in very isolated area and nothing to do beside work making me re think of moving all together ! Although my family live in MD and this could be a good opportunity to be closer ! I am not so much into parties and night clubs but I want to find out a group of like minded people to hang out with and spend quality time being active in nature etc .. also be able to go out in special occasions like concerts festivals ..
moving to totally strange area is always hard call ..thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia