U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:21 PM

411 posts, read 356,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Great schools give Woodbridge High a 2 or 3...a house cost 400k, easily. Wheeling Park High gets an 8, and you can buy a house for under 100k...I know where I would rather be.
GreatSchools ratings are not directly comparable across state lines.

Quote:
In states where only student achievement is used to calculate ratings, the overall GreatSchools Rating is an average of how well students at a given school do on each grade and subject test. For each test, ratings are assigned based on how well students perform relative to all other students in the state, and these ratings are averaged into an overall rating of 1 to 10. The distribution of the GreatSchools Rating in a given state looks like a bell curve, with higher numbers of schools getting ratings in the “average” category, and fewer schools getting ratings in the “above average” or “below average” categories. the same state.
Both VA and WV fall under that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 11:09 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,155,691 times
Relative above average or relative below average for four times the money? Tough choice?

Old 07-09-2017, 01:34 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,337,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Relative above average or relative below average for four times the money? Tough choice?
You can't compare schools in NoVa that are rated a 3 or 4 with schools in WV, things such as median income, education levels within the area, localities recruiting top talent, opportunities and peer influence, available resources, upward mobility, etc all play a role in why they're not compareable.

However, I do agree that you can go to certain parts of the state and live within a superb school district while living in an area where the cost of living is reasonable - but I think you're misguided conflating schools in NoVa with schools in other parts of VA/WV different places with different dynamics.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 07-09-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 AM

4,790 posts, read 2,861,293 times
I like West VA but do not see the need to have it rejoin Virginia.

I am sure it will never happen.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM

37 posts, read 15,615 times
Hell no! I moved to the eastern panhandle from NOVA for a reason.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 AM

628 posts, read 516,980 times
so you can make moonshine?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM

8,056 posts, read 9,475,273 times
The paths of the two states have been very different no need to try and force one in line with the other.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:45 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,087,639 times
I live in Nova and I'd support it for the natural beauty of the state. It would be like reuniting Korea though. West Virginia is so poor, uneducated, and brainwashed, that it would take billions of Virginia taxpayer dollars to get them up to par.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 AM

4,470 posts, read 2,926,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
West Virginia is so poor, uneducated, and brainwashed, that it would take billions of Virginia taxpayer dollars to get them up to par.
Not everybody in WV is Larry the Cable Guy.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,732,358 times
What Virginians and West Virginians do not realize is that Virginia was destroyed during the Civil War. The fact that there is a place called "Virginia" today fools people into thinking that no real harm was done when, in fact, the future of both the state of West Virginia and Virginia was derailed in order to satisfy a small group of Union supporters in northern WV, and it was so unnecessary. Joseph Segar, a Unionist congressman from Virginia, said "there is no evidence that the majority of people within the counties which were to compose the new state had ever given its assent to its formation." He went on to state that it was a punitive measure against Virginia, and he was correct. One of the men most responsible, Francis Pierpont, stated to Lincoln that "the Union men of West Va were not originally for the Union because of the new state." Even many Unionists opposed statehood and it actually hurt the Union cause instead of aiding it. None of the bloviating promises of the future that came from Wheeling ever came true. It was war profiteering on a grand scale, and the future of both sections together would have been far different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia