U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 02:36 PM

33 posts, read 38,366 times

Advertisements

My mom and I currently live in Mount Pleasant, SC and are considering a move to Virginia- specifically looking into Staunton, Blacksburg, Harrisonburg, and Winchester. She will be 70 and I will be 50. We are both single and she will be semi-retired while I will continue to work either teaching or remotely. We’ve been focusing on smaller towns that have a lively, historic downtown and populations somewhere around 50k. Priorities include reduced cost of living, convenience (walking/biking distance ideally) to shopping and restaurants, 4 seasons (without the harsh winter), and outdoor activities (hiking, walking, adventures with the dog) . Obviously, we would be interested in all the ‘usuals’ as well- proximity to healthcare, safety, etc. As we’ve begun our research, we are looking into 2 types of living situations (we will be ‘roommates’ in either scenario, along with the dog): a master planned community with amenities or a home that’s near a downtown area with restaurants, etc – ideally under $300k. We are currently living together in a smaller development (50 homes) with mostly younger families and a few younger singles who are still in the partying phase- looking for something a little quieter though still lively. Are there neighborhoods/areas we should consider? Given what we’re looking for, do you think any of these cities would fit the bill? We are also looking into areas in TN and NC. Any information/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 PM

892 posts, read 1,922,477 times
I think any of these towns/cities offer what you're looking for. I'm from Staunton and it's downtown is very walkable. There is a really nice park there too. And it's affordable. It however lacks on shopping amenities compared with Harrisonburg. But Staunton does have a slightly older population than the other areas. Harrisonburg and Blacksburg are college towns, but offer more amenities too. I feel with the exception of cost maybe, that you should seriously look into the Charlottesville area as it is within a half hour of Staunton and an hour from Harrisonburg. But offers practically everything you're looking for.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:17 PM

144 posts, read 102,997 times
Being an alumnus of Virginia Tech I have a special place in my heart for Blacksburg. Tech has a beautiful campus with over 30,000 students. Consequently it offers many amenities (performing arts, libraries, sports, continuing education, etc.) that many other similarly-sized communities lack.

I also think Winchester is well worth your consideration. I have family who live there and absolutely love the place (so do I). Located at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley, Winchester is a beautiful old city rich in colonial and Civil War history. Downtown Winchester centers on the Loudoun Street Mall and the historic Frederick County Courthouse. With lots of nice restaurants and antique shops, it is simply the most charming small commercial/government area I have ever visited. You owe it to yourself to check out Winchester!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the replies! Ideally, we would want to be within walking/biking distance of downtown. Are there areas that would provide this opportunity in Staunton, Winchester, Blacksburg...that are also affordable (ie., 250-300k range)? Are there other neighborhoods that might offer some amenities as well? We have looked into Charlottesville as well- we visited about 10 years ago and there didn't seem to be a ton of housing right near the pedestrian mall area- is that still the case? If living in Staunton, where do you do most of your shopping- both mall-like retail centers and costco/lowe's type establishments? It seems like there are lots of good restaurants in all of these areas, yes? And all fairly safe for 2 women? Thank you again!!

Old 07-14-2017, 10:02 PM

892 posts, read 1,922,477 times
Staunton has what you're looking for minus the abundance of a lot of big box stores. It does have lowes and wal mart, with some new shopping on the way. But not sure what each center will offer. Waynesboro on the other side of the county has target, kohls, and a lot more chain establishments. But no costco or sams clubs. Harrisonburg has Costco and a lot of big box chains though. As far as Charlottesville goes, a lot has changed in 10 years. The place is building up like crazy. Near where I work there's apartments and town homes going up right on a street just blocks from downtown. You can actually see Downtown from them. City Walk apartments if that interests you. North Downtown and Martha Jefferson neighborhoods offer more residential houses but still close to downtown. Charlottesville just got a Costco, has a Sams club and pretty much every other big box retailer and grocery chain you could imagine. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, wegmans, etc. I only comment on Staunton and Charlottesville since my life revolves around the two areas and I'm most familiar with them.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 979 times
Nichon18, I am also looking into moving back to Virginia from NC and the one thing I am concerned about is crime first and then good healthcare facilities. We are in our early 60's and want to get out of the high crime area of Charlotte NC. It was wonderful here 20 years ago but now there is too many people and too many gangs and the crime has increased 60%.
Just a suggestion: I check the city-data.com websites for info and also neighborhoodscout.com for info on the city crime rate and population, real estate, etc.
Good luck, I hope you find a town you enjoy!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Thank you for the info! We are looking into Richmond and surrounding area now as well Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or