U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 AM

110 posts, read 101,299 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance on which city might fit me best. I am a female, late 50's and single. I am looking to relocate from the tri-state area of the NE due to high taxes, rat race of life, and emphasis on only money.

The best place for me would be a city that 1. Safe 2. job availability (part-time is fine to supplement my writing income 3. Friendly people 4. Parks and lakes nearby for outdoor recreation 4. Reasonable home prices (small homes to buy for $ 160 - 200k) 5. Animal friendly (not lots of strays dumped which breaks my heart 5. Fairly progressive in terms of environmental consciousness and politics.

I know that's a long list and I am not going to find all of those things - but perhaps you could weigh in and tell me if in looking at Lexington and Staunton - I am on the right track? Or, Richmond? Or another city that I am not aware of? Even near the coast? I am open and can go anywhere. I have lived in VA before - I went to graduate school at UVA in Charlottesville back in the 1980's.

Thanks for any info! I appreciate it

Last edited by New place; 07-31-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 AM

96 posts, read 131,714 times
Staunton and Lexington are your best bets.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,243,549 times
There are strays dumped throughout Virginia. I do not know how you can avoid that problem.

Check out the SW section of the city of Roanoke such as Raleigh Court.

Re jobs: what type of part-time job are you looking for? I suspect that retail jobs (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc.) can be had in most places.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Hands down. Lexington or Staunton. Would be Staunton for me. I have to be near the mountains, or in my current case, IN the mountains, so no Richmond.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:07 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,346 times
Most of the regulars on the Virginia forum are strong boosters for the VA mountains (including me). Given your criteria, you might also want to check out the Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown area. Your housing budget is feasible in that area, schools are good (you don't have kids but good schools means good neighborhoods and steady or rising real estate values), crime isn't bad (I've heard). There are a number of jobs associated with the tourist industry (Colonial Triangle or Busch Gardens) and local businesses that support the local military bases. There are cultural opportunities associated with William and Mary College. I know at least two families planning to move out of NoVA to retire in the Colonial Triangle area due to cheaper cost of living, improved quality of life, access to many leisure activities, and the water. I can't speak to "animal friendliness" but as TN Lily pointed out, that's not location specific. Check out some of the CD threads such as Advice on Williamsburg Relocation Please.

Last edited by ersatz; 07-31-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hands down. Lexington or Staunton. Would be Staunton for me. I have to be near the mountains, or in my current case, IN the mountains, so no Richmond.
Just curious - what do you see as the pros of Staunton over Lexington? Thanks!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 AM

Thanks everyone for your insight. VA is a great state so it's hard to narrow down specific towns and I cannot take a year in trying to decide. I will just have to pick one and zero in - so am trying to get some thoughts on why you love the area you are in - or not.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New place View Post
Just curious - what do you see as the pros of Staunton over Lexington? Thanks!
Location. Staunton is closer to Charlottesville for advanced medical care but otherwise you really can't go wrong in either place.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM

892 posts, read 1,922,154 times
Though pricey, Charlottesville offers just about everything you're looking for. As others have said, Staunton is a really good runner up, and is equidistant from Lexington and Charlottesville. This whole area is good as it also allows for day trips to D.C., Richmond, or the beach.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 AM

Thanks so much Bigfoot424 and ShadowBat. I do have a friend in Charlottesville who thought I might be "bored" in Lexington. It's a trade off since in Charlottesville - detached small houses are $ 250 k and up - where as in Staunton and Lexington - they are about $ 175 K. Not sure if it's worth the extra expense since $ 75k is significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or