U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 AM

171 posts, read 81,980 times

Advertisements

I'll chime in here regarding the vehicle property tax. So as an example, I purchased a vehicle last May for $25k, and my vehicle property tax this yr. is around $450. Thanks for reminding me, it's due by Oct. 5th I think. And every yr. the vehicle property tax will go down as the value of our vehicle depreciates. In the scheme of things, it's no much per yr. but I guess it adds up over the the life of the vehicle. However, I would not discount VA based on the the vehicle tax as overall VA taxes are very reasonable. (I moved to VA from CT so talk about high taxes). Yes, NOVA is expansive but you can also make a great living. And once you retire one can always move to a lower cost area in VA. VA is a big beautiful state, with great history and climate. In my opinion, hard to beat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 10:05 AM

42 posts, read 39,870 times
Thanks for the info. I love Virginia and very excited to leave Austin and return to four seasons and rain. Sometimes we go months without rain and I really miss it. I think as high as our property taxes are the small vehicle tax will be nothing in comparison. Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 AM

No problem! I hear individuals, especially from MD, bring up the VA car tax all the time and say they wouldn't move to VA for that reason. But MD overall taxes are so much higher than VA so I think it's important to keep things in perspective. Prior to getting my new car, I had a 2011 Honda Accord and the past few yrs. I paid over a $100 per yr. in taxes.

It's interesting to hear that you can't wait to leave Austin. I keep hearing what a great place Austin is and it seems like everyone is moving there. I guess the grass is not always greener on the other side. Months without rain? Yikes, I would not like that, not to mention the heat and no real 4 seasons, which I love. I even love the snow, although most of the yrs. we get very little snow in NOVA. Hopefully we'll get more this year!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:37 PM

1,696 posts, read 535,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmt52 View Post
I work in healthcare and I prefer a larger health system, which is usually associated with a city or college town/academic center, and my partner is a biologist, requiring natural areas, but that doesn't necessarily mean a specific kind of natural area (water v. mountains) - hence our challenges finding places that fit our needs/preferences.

We would love to live just outside of a city in a smaller/medium sized city or large town.. it's important to us that the community is welcoming of all people and diversities.

Also (given that it's hurricane season), what kinds of disasters happen in VA?.... the general climate would be mild-er for us, coming from Michigan (Michigan can have extreme hot and cold but aside from the occasional winter blizzard or rare tornado, we don't have huge disasters typically), and currently we live only a few miles inland from the Atlantic so we are near the evacuation border.. We've learned a ton about hurricane season/preparing/responding/etc and so I'm interested to know that too.
I’d look closely at Charlottesville. I’m a biologist (retired) and I worked at the U. Va. medical Center for a number of years. It’s a large medical center and there are many opportunities for folks with life science degrees. The country side is beautiful, so is the campus. Travel 30 minutes out and you can be getting into “hicksville” or the start of the Appalachians. If you like big city entertainment, it might not be for you. Albemarle County can be a bit pricey....all those U.Va. law school graduates returning after their stints in DC

Old 09-16-2018, 12:39 PM

42 posts, read 39,870 times
Default Leaving Austin

Yes, we have 150 people a month coming to the area. Traffic is a gridlock and property tax is robbery. You use AC 10 months a year, I have never adjusted to Texas. I miss home and I am working overtime to make the move possible. We have tolls everywhere to make getting around possible and many times it is $1.25 just for a short drive, you have to have a toll tag and you are charged monthly, if you do not get a toll tag linked to your credit card you pay almost double for a pay by mail, they have now opened a express on mopac that charges you by the degree of traffic, can run up to $10.00 for a short distance. It is truly insane! If Amazon opens it 2nd headquarter here it will be impossible to navigate the traffic. I need green, rain and mountains, Virginia here I come!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 PM

295 posts, read 234,355 times
We lived in Grafton, on the fringes of Hampton roads. Loved the area, the beaches and our schools

Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Well Homesick, Virginia will welcome you with open arms!
Don't get me wrong, in NOVA, we do have tolls. I've seen tolls as high as $50 for about 10 mile stretch. But that's probably not an area you're looking to relocate. I heard that Hampton Roads also have many tolls but I'm not very familiar with that area. There are so many great places in VA, it's just a matter of finding what's most suitable for each person.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:37 PM

661 posts, read 226,776 times
I don't know what 'mild seasons' the OP is talking about. Walking through snow isn't an uncommon experience into mid March and summer is always humid and warm or hot. The number of days per summer I'd consider ideal conditions i.e. low humidity, sunny and temps mid 70s to low 80s can be counted on one hand easily (more like one finger if we're honest). If it's a non-hot day in summer it's almost always because it's a rainy phase and thus even more humid than normal.

I've found the notion that the Upper South has a 'mild' climate because it's between the 'cold' Northeast and the 'hot' Deep South to be a massive misunderstanding to be honest. Virginia gets pretty much most of the winter systems that affect Philly, Jersey and New York as well and winter temps are rarely significantly warmer here than there. In the summer, Virginia is really no more 'mild' than the Carolinas - in fact much of the East Coast up to NYC is more often 'hot and humid' than anything.

Coastal California has a mild climate and that's about it in this country. Virginia is not without its attractions and I don't want to discourage anyone from moving here..but the weather isn't a good reason to move here. Among people I know I'm not even someone who's particularly negative about it. I deal better with the humidity than a lot of other people.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Actually walking in snow in March is NOVA is very uncommon. In fact, last winter we got major snow I think just once. And many winters we barely get any snow, just some dusting, but of course the whole DC Metro area shuts down. And areas further south, places like Williamsburg, rarely get any snow from what I've heard. And I disagree that "Virginia gets pretty much most of the winter systems that affect Philly, Jersey and New York as well and winter temps are rarely significantly warmer here than there." That simply is not true. Even the weather in Northern MD is colder than VA. And then it gets colder the further North you go. Just look at the snow fall in the Philly area.

I do agree that most of the East Coast is hot and humid during the summer. I have family in CT and I visit them quite often and I the summers in CT seem just as hot and humid in CT as they are in VA. The big difference is the winters in NY, NJ, CT, are much longer and colder. Normally, it starts getting cold in CT in Sept. and doesn't really get warm where you can start planting things until late May. It it especially noticeable when I travel up North in April, where things are blooming and the grass and trees are green, the scenery is still brown and gloom as things don't bloom yet, normally. Also, my some of my rose bushes and other flowers bloom into late Nov. That does not happen further North. Yes, we do get some cold days but they usually don't last very long and I am able to go for walks most of the winter.

This summer was unusually rainy and humid. But many summers the it's not so bad as it's not consistently hot and humid all summer, you do get nice days in between, unlike NC or SC, or perhaps even Southern Va. So yes, overall the VA climate is milder and gentler then states further North or South. And that's one of the reason's why I wouldn't want to move back to CT, the long winters.

I don't disagree with you about CA climate. I've only been to Napa Valley and loved that area.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:56 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't know what 'mild seasons' the OP is talking about. Walking through snow isn't an uncommon experience into mid March and summer is always humid and warm or hot. The number of days per summer I'd consider ideal conditions i.e. low humidity, sunny and temps mid 70s to low 80s can be counted on one hand easily (more like one finger if we're honest). If it's a non-hot day in summer it's almost always because it's a rainy phase and thus even more humid than normal.

I've found the notion that the Upper South has a 'mild' climate because it's between the 'cold' Northeast and the 'hot' Deep South to be a massive misunderstanding to be honest. Virginia gets pretty much most of the winter systems that affect Philly, Jersey and New York as well and winter temps are rarely significantly warmer here than there. In the summer, Virginia is really no more 'mild' than the Carolinas - in fact much of the East Coast up to NYC is more often 'hot and humid' than anything.

Coastal California has a mild climate and that's about it in this country. Virginia is not without its attractions and I don't want to discourage anyone from moving here..but the weather isn't a good reason to move here. Among people I know I'm not even someone who's particularly negative about it. I deal better with the humidity than a lot of other people.
Well moving here from the Houston area I couldn't disagree more. Of course I am in Roanoke and not on the coast - but the annoying hot/humid days are like nothing here compared to H-town.

I hadn't lived here too long when I heard someone say "Wow it was really humid here yesterday afternoon."

I realized I had NEVER heard anyone in Houston say "Wow it was really humid here yesterday afternoon!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or