U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 03:37 PM

120 posts, read 68,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickforWV View Post
Thanks everyone, sounds like a challenge to find good tv/internet/wi fi. If I stayed in Harrisonburg I wonder what cost is for these services. I am also concerned about the personal property tax. If you owned a few newer vehicles it could add up. I love the beauty of WV but cannot live where it is so poor no companies will come in. WV does not have shopping period, I was hoping the Harrisonburg area would give me the beauty with some amenities. I am going to continue to seek out information. Thanks
What we did when looking for a place was go address by address and use broadband now to get an idea who serves the area by zip code and then go to individual websites of those ISPs - the big ones have an online form that instantly tells you what they offer in terms of speed and price (or if they don't offer anything so you know immediately), the smaller/local ones (including Shentel) you have to call by phone. If you are lucky, you can get the internet but very often the speeds are dismal. Verizon sells "High speed internet" around VA with speeds up to 1.5MBps and "Enhanced High Speed Interet" with speeds up to 3MBps. Hahah. Centurylink usually offers 3-10MBps and in some areas up to 25MBps. If you are lucky XFinity has cable and Shentel where available can be pretty fast. It is a hit or miss, where you are (major road or small country road), worse outside city (obviously) but the closer to town/city, the higher the chance.

There is definitely a "selling season" that starts in spring and goes through summer into fall but slows down in winter. What irritated me the most around central/south central Virginia is the generational properties that have been "chunked up" over the years creating unreasonable situations like driving through someone's 10 acres to get to your 10 acres or that you could have a property that was 30 acres that was divided in 3 10-acre parcels but the three houses are right next to each other (as in 50 feet from each other) with all the acreages behind them. If you are not part of that family, you don't want to have your home next to someone else, why buy 10 acres with no privacy? Another thing you see VERY often is all homes are VERY near the roadway, as in right on it, with all the acreage behind them. I think this stems from the fact that most homes in the country are old and when they were built, the roads weren't a big deal or heavily used - but are more today. You will find a lot of homes in the country that have been on the market for years and asking price histories have fluctuated wildly (sometimes in $100,000 range on the same home) over the years - yet the homes never sold.

Couple of other things - most country roads around most places have no shoulders to speak of. You can forget about running (for example) on the shoulder. Poorer counties (like Greene for example) only mow them twice a year (your RE and personal property taxes at work?). This will be in total contrast to Texas where most roads (at least in the Hill Country) had very wide shoulders that were frequently maintained. The local library in Greene is open weird hours like 12-5 on Saturday or 10-6 on some day and 12-8 on another. Depending on county the local building department may be very relaxed and let you build whatever (within reason) but right across county border can be a totally different story (like Greene vs Madison county).

Be careful when buying an existing home - Virginia gets a lot of rainfall and is very green and most people automatically assume water is not an issue but most of the homes we looked at buying had either very poorly producing wells (as in 2 gallons per minute) or shallow wells (subject to runoff and contamination in heavy rain). If you are surrounded by hay fields or corn fields this can be an issue, esp. when they cover the fields in round-up or other herbicides and when they fertilize - a good rain will wash that into the ground and your shallow well can be a bad deal... So, test the water well thoroughly - depth, production, contaminants.

Local counties are HORRIBLE at keeping records, even on new construction. From Cumberland to Buckingham to Franklin, Bedford, Greene etc. - we looked at homes in all of these and most water wells and septic systems had no record in the county. Even on homes from 2001 or 2005! They keep records by last name of original owner who put in the well or septic, not by address!!! So if a well was put in in 1960s, good luck, you or your agent will have to make a trip to the local courthouse to track down the original owner first and if that owner was not the one who put in the well, heh, you are really scre*ed. Another goodie for your local taxes...

Finally, I can only speak for Greene county - there are a lot of loose dogs on rural roads. Many of them are aggressive. We have counted at least 8 different loose dogs on our stretch of road when we rented. Owners didn't care, one of them even got angry when we called them to tell them the dog is loose. One of our neighbors (and we do too) hikes into the National park with a bear spray bottle, not because of the bears in the park but because of someone's Australian shepherds on the stretch of road you have to walk before you hit the park - they are loose often and aggressively protecting the road in front of their house.

Now the positives: I have NEVER met so many nice people and so many people who grow gardens, keep bees etc. etc. The people and the nature are the true asset of this state. It makes everything I said above go away

We took 6 months to find our place in Franklin county, 30 miles south of Roanoke. 30+ acres with a nice home. I will be growing hay, keeping bees, growing veggies, fruits, berries etc. It is quiet, people are super nice, town is near, national forest and outdoors activities with an hour drive, North Carolina is near so on and so on...

Good luck!

Last edited by HeartWantsWhatItWants; 12-03-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 04:20 PM

42 posts, read 39,945 times
I live in Austin Texas. I had always thought we would go back to WV but due to the terrible economy and no shopping high utilities we could never be happy. I love Virginia, have been many times. I think we could be very happy in Virginia.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:29 PM

Stunning! Thanks so much for sending.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:32 PM

I feel the beauty of the area is well worth giving up high speed internet. I feel certain by staying close to Harrisonburg or Broadway we can find a happy balance.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:37 PM

I live in a subdivision and we have dogs that are allowed to run in packs and attack other people's dogs. I fully understand when you live in the country people can sometimes think anything goes, like letting dogs run free. I love the country but I fully understand all that comes with it. I think I want in close to amenities but a larger yard then what homes offer in Texas. Our lot is tiny. Big homes on small lots with nothing to see but fences. We moved her for a great job and I have never liked it. I have always missed WV and its beauty.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:58 PM

120 posts, read 68,325 times
Quote:
I live in a subdivision and we have dogs that are allowed to run in packs and attack other people's dogs. I fully understand when you live in the country people can sometimes think anything goes, like letting dogs run free. I love the country but I fully understand all that comes with it. I think I want in close to amenities but a larger yard then what homes offer in Texas. Our lot is tiny. Big homes on small lots with nothing to see but fences. We moved her for a great job and I have never liked it. I have always missed WV and its beauty.
I understand. We have lived all over the country and I am originally from eastern Europe - Virginia reminds me of home climate and relief wise. If internet is not a deal breaker, your choices will be many more...

Old 12-04-2017, 03:02 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Nice!

So, you ready to go back to NOVA?
Bite your tongue.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Homesick? Why are you homesick? Isn't Shenandoah home and you are there?

But yes, I know what you mean. The Blue Ridge just does it for me. I love how the rolling hills shade from green to blue and purple and how the late afternoon sunshine coats them like butter. The hills still smell like grass and trees and in the fall the evening air has a nibble to it from the biting chill to come.
Was addressing the OP. Just shortened the name.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 AM

PS, was able to enlarge the photo, stunning.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
PS, was able to enlarge the photo, stunning.
To the wife and I the views and the way we've been treated by the locals make the move all worthwhile. While we were more than ready to leave the hustle and bustle of NOVA I really didn't know what to expect with the folks out here as many have been here for many generations and may not trust us outsiders. But from day 1 we met some great people and the church we settled on has been a perfect fir for us. The wife always says that thanks to my long career in LE I can talk to anyone and make friends with Satan but I just found people naturally friendly and open here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or