U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 AM

3,527 posts, read 1,608,089 times

Advertisements

I regularly make the drive from Williamsburg to Leesburg, taking 54, 33 and 15. As a result I've now driven through the adorable towns of Gordonsville, Orange, Cuckoo, Montpelier, Louisa & Ashland 18 or 20 times.

I'm so curious about these places. Some of them are so cute, I wonder what their stories are and what it's like to live there.

Has anyone here lived in any of these towns? What are the resident like and what do they do for a living? Are they expensive places to live? Are people friendly? Are there new residents or is it mostly people who have lived there for generations?

How does Gordonsville afford all those adorable businesses on main street?

Also... this spring I'll need to buy a few dozen forsythia bushes. I could go to Lowes in Leesburg, but since I'm driving through anyway is there a good garden center along my route? Some place inexpensive that people would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Finally learned the story behind Cuckoo's name. Apparently back in the day the town was known for it's tavern, and the amazing cuckoo clock in the lobby. It was the first one in the state of VA (maybe the first in the country?) and quite the local attraction.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:21 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,586,087 times
Love Louisa. We live at Lake Anna, not far away and Iíll go there about weekly. Wonderful little town. The county has one high school which just went to the state football finals over in Williamsburg and had their first loss of the season in the final game. Whole area supported them, even moved the time of the Christmas parade and festival earlier because of the playoff game that afternoon. The county is poor, but they have a great parks & rec program as well as a great arts and theatre program. My hunch is the North Anna Power Plant is the main contributor to the countyís economy.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:09 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,246,583 times
I lived in Louisa for 7 years. I never thought of it as "poor." Many folks live in Louisa and commute either to Charlottesville or Richmond. If you live in the Zion Crossroads area, you are roughly 15 minutes from Pantops in C-ville. If you're out on the Eastern end of the county, you're in reasonable commuting distance of Richmond. Louisa County covers a lot of miles on I-64. Louisa offers a lower housing cost than do the areas closer to both Charlottesville and Richmond.

High school football in Louisa County is like a religion. My daughter attended elementary school & middle school in Louisa. I often wished that the school system and the community had put as much into education as it did football.

People are friendly. Shopping in the town of Louisa is limited. I thought the downtown was mediocre at best.

The cute shops in Gordonsville come and go. There had been a maker of store brand baby formula in Gordonsville (PBM/ Paul B. Manning). It was my understanding that the owner of this business bought up many of the downtown properties. He sold PBM to a larger company (Perrigo Nutritionals). Doing a quick Google search, I see that the business got moved to Albemarle. I'm sure that has hurt Gordonsville. If you do a search on Google using the names of both companies, I'm sure you will find info on the effects of this sale and move on Gordonsville.

For plants, I would recommend Stranges in Richmond. When we lived in Louisa, there was no plant nursery that I would have recommended. We were advised to patronize Strange's.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 AM

I really like Louisa, too. There's a good vibe when you drive through it.

Re: garden centers. Has anyone tried that huge garden center in Ashland? I think it's name is Colesville, and it's near 95. It would be an extra mile or so out of my way but in the long run that's not a big detour. Is it worth it?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post

The cute shops in Gordonsville come and go. There had been a maker of store brand baby formula in Gordonsville (PBM/ Paul B. Manning). It was my understanding that the owner of this business bought up many of the downtown properties. He sold PBM to a larger company (Perrigo Nutritionals). Doing a quick Google search, I see that the business got moved to Albemarle. I'm sure that has hurt Gordonsville. If you do a search on Google using the names of both companies, I'm sure you will find info on the effects of this sale and move on Gordonsville.

For plants, I would recommend Stranges in Richmond. When we lived in Louisa, there was no plant nursery that I would have recommended. We were advised to patronize Strange's.
Interesting! I guess Gordonsville is close enough to CVille to get shoppers for those cute little shops. There sure are a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia