U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 3,597 times

Advertisements

Hi I could use some help. We are looking to move around the Fredericksburg area or around Richmond va and need some input. We have never been to the area yet ,have just been researching schools areas jobs etc. online as well as looking at photos and google earth. we have 3 kids so decent schools are very important as well as activities for them in the area such as competitive Cheer and travel soccer. We love hiking and being outdoors but don’t want to live in the middle of nowhere. Coming from nj we have everything right near us in terms of shopping and activities restaurants etc so If anyone could maybe recommend some towns to focus on that would be a big help. We’re looking to move this summer and we will be visiting the areas next month so if we have some recommendations on towns it would make driving around aimlessly a little easier. Also what’s your input on Virginia for a young family looking to start fresh since Jersey is getting way to expensive to live. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:59 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,333,531 times
I would go with Richmond.

Fredericksburg isn't a bad area but traffic is pretty awful, it's a bedroom community so a large portion of the folks there commute to DC, it's suburban sprawl on steroids. It's also gotten more expensive as more and more folks get priced out of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William.

Richmond is more affordable, less traffic, and you still get good schools and most of the amenities you would get in Fredericksburg.

Just my opinion, best of luck!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 PM

Is living in Richmond a good place for a young family or should I be looking more around the city ? Thanks for your input

Old 01-19-2018, 06:50 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,333,531 times
People who are more familiar with the area could give you more insight but I'd suggest looking in the suburbs like Short Pump if schools are your main concern, I don't know your budget but generally speaking the Richmond suburbs are pretty reasonably priced.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 AM

6,544 posts, read 10,811,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcnutt33 View Post
Is living in Richmond a good place for a young family or should I be looking more around the city ? Thanks for your input

I really do like Richmond but would not have raised my family there. Richmond has always been up there with the number of murders per capita and quite a few years ago actually was number 1 in the US. It's a small city in comparison to something like Chicago but just last year the beginning of 2017 saw a spike in violent crime. If being in the city is important then just do your research. Plenty of nice communities surrounding Richmond. And as mentioned, traffic is bad along I-95 area with north of Richmond being the worst. I know you're in Jersey so traffic won't be new to you. Is there a reason you want to live along the I-95 corridor?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Our main reason to living along the corridor is jobs seems to be a lot in that area , if you could recommend another area in va with a decent job market and decent schools I’d be willing to check it out. Thank you

Old 01-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Can you give us an idea on the budget so we'd know more on what to recommend? I'd say along I-66 in the Fairfax/Gainesville/Haymarket area with jobs/housing running plentiful. Yes, 66 can be just as bad as 95, at least during the weekday, but 95 takes the cake when it comes to weekends and especially weekends during the summer.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 PM

We’re looking for an affordable area , would like to stay under 220k for a house .

Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcnutt33 View Post
We’re looking for an affordable area , would like to stay under 220k for a house .
Could be a little tough with that amount. I haven't kept up with what town homes are costing now but I don't see this happening in Fairfax. Check Fredericksburg/Stafford and Spotsylvania areas. Homes are more affordable the further south you go from DC. I did a quick search on Zillow and saw some decent homes around 220,000 for those areas. No idea on the quality of the area though.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM

13 posts, read 7,029 times
We live in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania county. We relocated from Chesterfield county, directly below Richmond. When we moved here (15 years ago) I recall my son saying "We studied all that stuff last year". I thought that the schools in Chesterfield were much better, however, it has been 15 years. We currently live in the northwest part of the county. It has the better schools. As another person posted, we are a bedroom community for DC and northern VA. Thank God I don't have to commute to DC every day, like lots of our friends/neighbors do. This area had a "village" type feel to it, when we moved here. I often refer to it as "Little Fairfax" now. MANY new homes have been built and the traffic can be awful at times. There's lots to do here. Plenty of shopping, parks, easy drive to the mountains, or out to the country.
A simple rule of thumb pricewise... For every 5 miles you go up I 95, expect to pay at least $10,000 more for a house. No joke. We were in an HOA type neighborhood when we first came here. Got tired of all their rules and purchased 5 acres with a stocked bass pond, and built a home here. Our little piece of heaven, within the hustle and bussel.
Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia