U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,729,472 times

Advertisements

Richmond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,586,676 times
Check out Staunton while in the area, Welcome to Staunton in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. Donít live there but have visited and it seems to have a neat little downtown. Plus the Shakesphere Repertory Theatre is well known. We found a neat little Grilled Cheese specialty lunch place downtown and got talking to the owner who decided to locate there instead of Harrisonburg. She also told us about the Harry Potter Festival that happens each year too.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,620,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Richmond

>>> I need a place very, very, very close to the mountains and rolling hills. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the mountains, but I want to go out into the backyard and see mountains, the bottom of the mountain, waterfalls, mtn peaks, rolling wine valley that turns into mountains, etc...

RICHMOND? Seriously? Maybe I missed something on my last trip to Richmond!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 24,004 times
TN Lily, I think you're right on. It was a lovely, long, thoughtful post which read like a journal editorial, and I think there were some mentions that the OP post it to a journal, etc... so yes, you are thinking of the right person!
But after you, Watchful, and all the others have talked about Roanoke, I think I'll totally go try it out.

And Watchful, unless you're highly biased! lol, which I think you are, but no complaints here, bc...your ratings have totally already made me fall in love with that city. hahaha Now i know who to blame if my expectations majorly fail LOL jk

I really appreciate the time you took to write such a long, detailed review, but I sure am glad you did, because I didn't know all those things about the city, so TY!!! I had no idea...hmmm!

So then I will DEFINITELY be visiting, and I'm actually excited!

Thank you a million times for this, and thank you again all! How exciting! I can't wait!!
But I will also check out Richmond for sure...now to do research on Staunton.
Night night all.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Check out Staunton while in the area, Welcome to Staunton in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. Don’t live there but have visited and it seems to have a neat little downtown. Plus the Shakesphere Repertory Theatre is well known. We found a neat little Grilled Cheese specialty lunch place downtown and got talking to the owner who decided to locate there instead of Harrisonburg. She also told us about the Harry Potter Festival that happens each year too.

Harry Potter Festival!!!!??? Eeeek, now I have to visit

Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,586,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz79 View Post
Harry Potter Festival!!!!??? Eeeek, now I have to visit
Sept. 28-30, 2018.
https://www.potterpartyva.com
Enjoy!

Old 02-26-2018, 02:38 PM

oooo that looks like so much fun! lol great pics on the site, btw. Thank you Choff!!!

Old 03-05-2018, 11:17 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,869,428 times
I'd recommend the Winchester area... Fits the bill for what you are looking for, except for politics, but that is shifting more and more as time goes on...

If you cannot wait for that shift to occur? I'll recommend the Charlottesville area, namely more western Albemarle County... Town like Crozet which used to be the boonies, but like most little secrets, it got discovered and has grown up a bunch. BUT... Still open area, politics I'd imagine are swinging left based on the political maps I see (Charlottesville goes blue all the time now, I'd imagine Albemarle County is close if not there already)... And Crozet is literally at the base of the Blue Ridge.... I grew up in Earlysville which was really nice as well... Definitely if you get the chance, research Albemarle.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 545 times
Hello!

This is my first post as I have been just reading posts for my own research.
I felt inspired to write because I want to highly encourage you to visit these places before committing. I went to VA in December on a road trip with a few towns high on my ‘likely to love’ list, Roanoke being one of the top contenders. Surprisingly, I didn’t love it as I thought I would. I felt the valley farther north held so much more beauty, diversity and ‘richness’. I also didn’t love the city so it went off my list pretty quick. Please don’t take my word for it or anyone else though.. go see for yourself. We all have our own preferences.
I too have been all over the country. I grew up in Seattle area, lived in Orlando, Big Bear Lake California do and now am in Palm Coast, FL. While it’s lovely here, I am missing the 4 seasons and beauty of the mountains, but require sunshine.
I am planning trip #2 in May and my list now starts with Staunton. I LOVED Charlottesville but am hoping to find a little quieter and more affordable area nearby with just visiting Charlottesville on weekends here and there. The valley in the Staunton area is stunning to say the least. The valley farther south seemed very ‘poor’ to me...almost desolate. So maybe start mid range and go North?
I feel you’d like Charlottesville so Staunton would be a good choice because it’s not so far that you couldn’t go up for some fun now and again. Plus I am pretty sure I read somewhere there’s a train from Staunton to DC

I took Harrisonburg off my list for the same reason you mentioned about sunshine. Though it looks like a neat town, the weather stats show them having significantly less sunny days then say Waynesboro or Staunton area. So farther North may have different weather as well?
And NOVA is not in my process range.

Anyhoo good luck on your search !

Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 PM

141 posts, read 140,951 times
Just wondering what your latest research has found as I'm doing my own research in some of these same areas.

Thanks!

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz79 View Post
TN Lily, I think you're right on. It was a lovely, long, thoughtful post which read like a journal editorial, and I think there were some mentions that the OP post it to a journal, etc... so yes, you are thinking of the right person!
But after you, Watchful, and all the others have talked about Roanoke, I think I'll totally go try it out.

And Watchful, unless you're highly biased! lol, which I think you are, but no complaints here, bc...your ratings have totally already made me fall in love with that city. hahaha Now i know who to blame if my expectations majorly fail LOL jk

I really appreciate the time you took to write such a long, detailed review, but I sure am glad you did, because I didn't know all those things about the city, so TY!!! I had no idea...hmmm!

So then I will DEFINITELY be visiting, and I'm actually excited!

Thank you a million times for this, and thank you again all! How exciting! I can't wait!!
But I will also check out Richmond for sure...now to do research on Staunton.
Night night all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia