U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 380 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I just read a posting by konamtnbiker & others about moving from hawaii to Virginia. I moved from hawaii to the Stafford/Fredericksburg, Virginia area back in 2014 and have been loving it ever since. I would never go back to hawaii due to not only the high taxes but the congestion of people and the terrible traffic along with the underrated public schools. There is really nothing in hawaii other than service oriented services. There's no real entertainment or a great abundance of it anyway and if you want to do anything truly special you will have to fly to california or nevada for your real entertainment. I live close enough to Washington D.C to go see the Wizards NBA basketball game. But, I can take either Route 1 or I-95 and go in either direction to New York or Florida to see a number of other professional teams play(either football, baseball or basketball). The abundance of entertainment and shopping would suffice even the hardest of shoppers. Ala Moana shopping center has great shopping but it's the only thing happening. The cost of living is at least 50% cheaper here in Virginia vs Hawaii(Oahu). I trade the Financial markets and even that is harder to do in hawaii because I used to have to wake up at 2am, hawaii time(equates to being 8am Eastern time) just to trade and my body didn't want to wake up that early to trade the U.S session. But now, I wake up at 8am to trade the market and am finished by 11:30am Eastern time. So, as you can see, everything is much..much harder to do and maintain in hawaii. For anyone thinking or contemplating on moving from Hawaii to Virginia, don't think! Move here and you will see that it will be the best decision you would have ever made in your life. By the way, the racial diversity in Virginia rivals that of Hawaii. I have spoken to and have seen polynesians, hawaiians, chinese, japanese, blacks, whites, interracially mixed, and even a few micronesians here in both Stafford/Fredericksburg , Virginia. Virginia is considered a "mid atlantic state". It's not a northern state and it's not a southern state. It's a neutral state that sits between the north and south of the eastern shore. The weather is very mild here and I could not have asked for anything more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 07:17 PM

892 posts, read 1,930,340 times
It’s awesome that you’re so happy here! Most people here would say you’re crazy for leaving “paradise” behind. Interestingly, one of my best friends is from St. Thomas USVI, and he had no interest in going back. The reason? Because paradise has its limits. There’s only so much of the beach and bar/club hopping you can do before it gets old and mundane. He was so much happier to be in the Shenandoah Valley. He did have to return to take care of family matters though. The diversity of things to do here is remarkable. We have cities, small towns, universities, the ocean, mountains, rivers, diversity, history, and cutting edge technology, business and industry. And we’re one of the most populous states in the country, even though it doesn’t look like it from most aspects. I like to visit everywhere else, but am perfectly happy to call Virginia home. Despite its flaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or