U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 AM

46 posts, read 123,037 times

Advertisements

Hi

We've been looking for property to 'homestead' on and I always thought that VA would be wayyy out of our financial reach. I've recently found some very affordable properties (mostly raw land) in these areas that come across as nearly breathtaking in beauty.

To give some background (as requested in a sticky!)
-Where you are working
A. Currently he works in IT for a medical facility; I am a remote worker for a telephony vendor that has a 'portable' job (based on high-speed, non-satellite internet access)

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
A. Our budget is about 70K

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
A. He is currently driving an hour each way; this is acceptable if the roadways are good

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
A. Nope, just visiting ones!

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?

A. We are pretty 'green' conscious; our aim is a self-sustainable small farm, with a managed woodlot and small livestock, with a future self-built home so zoning would be important. Helpful neighbors but not nosy (both ways!), considerate and respectful of property and privacy. We give what we are searching for as well. We keep a look out for our current neighbors when they travel or if something looks out of place in the area. So small town, rural and quiet would be an apt description of what we seek.

-Community amenities important to you

A. High-speed internet access is a requisite if we are to move immediately. If we buy and work on the property while remaining out of state, this would be less critical. Farmer's market, feed store, drugstore and small grocery within a half hour at least would be nice, but not a requirement. Parks, walking trails, great scenery is very important, fishing would be nice too.

-Pie or cake?
Depends on the filling of the pie and the type of cake I like them both, depending on my mood!

This is just a general information request, but it surely does appear to be a good area, and not one poised for monster growth in the near future. I'm not intersted in being a bedroom community of a large city in my later years

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

~ST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or