Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,301 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted to the Law School of William and Mary. I currently reside in Georgia and wanted to know about the housing in the area. Where should I begin to look for safe housing. I am scheduled to start in the fall and will start looking for a place to stay when I come to Williamsburg in April. I need some help as to where to start my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:28 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
Name a price range ( I assume you are renting) and what you are looking for i.e. apartment, condo, townhome, detached home and we will give suggestions for housing. Give a radius that you would consider from the campus

Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,900 times
I suppose I'll bump this thread.

I'm in the same position as the original poster, attending W&M Law this fall. I'm somewhat familiar with the Hampton Roads area but not Williamsburg itself, and I currently live in Maryland.

I was hoping to find a 1bdrm place to rent for me and my dog. As near as I can tell, I should be looking to spend around 700, but it's difficult to tell which apartment complexes in Williamsburg should be avoided. I'm willing to consider spending more if it seems worthwhile.

I'm very tempted by the price of the new development in Norge. I don't really mind driving a few miles; I've arrived at the conclusion that walking distance would be difficult to pull off for a reasonable cost.

Any comments, from Mr. Williamsburg or others? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM

The complex in Norge is income restricted. Not that that's bad but you have to qualify.
It's a ways from campus also. In that price range to get closer the apartments won't be as nice unless you luck out and get a condo from a private owner. If you can afford to spend more I would. There are brand new apartments in New Town . One bedrooms start at $985.. You would be close to everything in New Town. Have you checked the housing choices on the SIN ( Student Information Network) website SIN - Housingcenter (http://www.sin.wm.edu/modules/housingcenter/ - broken link) at W&M ?

have you read this on the W&M website ? Additional Links | Off-Campus Housing (http://www.wm.edu/sharpefellowship/morelinks.php - broken link)

Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM

I have looked on the SIN page, but unfortunately (as with most schools it seems) the system gets clogged with those looking to sublet short-term and such. I'll need to devote more time to it. Having a dog only makes things more difficult.

I've also looked at your second link, and have found a few things here and there.

I suppose what I was hoping for was more along the lines of which complexes to avoid. I know that looking on apartment ratings sites seems to paint a mostly negative picture of Williamsburg off-campus housing.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,221 times
I would definately recommend Spotswood Commons. Its close to the Law School, New Town Center etc. They're really nice apartments, and you're close to everything but they're a better setup than the NewTown at Oxford apartments (in my opinion). Definately check them out, everyone seems to love it there. Oh, and they allow pets under 85lbs.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 AM

Great, thanks for the tip.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 AM

This is just my opinion but New Town and the Oxford Apartment is 3.5 miles closer to William & Mary campus then Spottswood Commons off of Longhill Rd. Each has it's own merits. If you want to walk to the movie theater, Barnes & Noble, restaurants, shops and be a 1.5 mile bike ride from campus then New Town would appeal to you...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM

I'll be checking out the New Town apartments as well. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia