U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,930 times

Advertisements

How often does Virginia get Tornadoes, or hurricanes, and how severe are they? I do not want to move to an area that has high tornadoes, or hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 PM

357 posts, read 659,738 times
Tornadoes- Almost anywhere in the state, more common East of the I-81 corridor. Mountain areas don't get them that strong, other areas can get EF 3 or 4 easily.

Hurricanes- Depends on the season, the coastal areas COULD get clobbered the rest of the state just floods.

Don't forget about the occasional earthquake too, the area East of Charlottesville has become active over the last 10 years. The biggest one actually caused damage as far away as Washington DC.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:51 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,583,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
Tornadoes- Almost anywhere in the state, more common East of the I-81 corridor. Mountain areas don't get them that strong, other areas can get EF 3 or 4 easily.

Hurricanes- Depends on the season, the coastal areas COULD get clobbered the rest of the state just floods.

Don't forget about the occasional earthquake too, the area East of Charlottesville has become active over the last 10 years. The biggest one actually caused damage as far away as Washington DC.
Well, thatís all basically right but before totally freaking someone out, itís not that much or that often.

Tornadoes, yes, we get them but Iíve seldom heard anything more than an EF1. Canít remember any E3 or E4ís in Virginia (correct me if Iím wrong). Definitely nothing like some parts of the country. Straight line wind damage can be as bad but it very localized and not often.

Hurricanes, yes we get the results of those but again, rare to get it head on. There have been exceptions, Agnes is one, but again itís more coastal than anywhere else.

Earthquakes. Yep, the ďbigĒ was a 5.8 and due to the ground formations this end of the country it was felt all up and down the coast. But again, extremely unheard of. Yes, weíve had activity since then, in the 2.0 range that few people even feel.

Every part of the country has their own weather issues. At least with hurricanes you know itís coming. Even tornadoes are well tracked now days. Come and visit and enjoy!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM

357 posts, read 659,738 times
How is it totally freaking someone out if it's basically right? Not trying to start an argument, anyway there have been EF 3 tornadoes in the Manassas area and the Northern Neck in the past. I was just trying to cover every possible range that I've heard of so the OP could get an understanding that it really depends on WHERE you live in Virginia as to what type of quality of life you can have.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:02 PM

No argument, I hadnít done my homework. This website actually is interesting on the history of tornadoes in Virginia, History: Virginia Tornadoes - Virginia Department of Emergency Management. I guess my point to the OP is stuff happens, but maybe not to the extent of some states well known for tornadoes, or hurricanes, or earth quacks. Itís part of living and being aware of where you live. OP hasnít come back, and only posted twice, so they are searching. Hope they find the right place for themselves.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:11 PM

219 posts, read 92,723 times
I just moved here from California. IMO, a 5.8 earthquake is nothing. That said, I'll take snow and torrential thunderstorms over earthquakes and firestorms any day.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
I just moved here from California. IMO, a 5.8 earthquake is nothing. That said, I'll take snow and torrential thunderstorms over earthquakes and firestorms any day.
For California, you are absolutely right. But east coast earthquakes, when they do occur, behave differently.
East vs West Coast Earthquakes: Why was an earthquake in Virginia felt at more than twice the distance than a similar-sized earthquake in California? - Strange Sounds. Thankfully it was a very unique occurrence. Iíll also take our weather over potential California earthquakes and firestorms any day!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:23 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,082 times
OP - You wanted to know where is the safest area to relocate to avoid natural disasters. This is an interesting topic so I researched it further. The safest areas to avoid tornadoes in the US are generally where the earthquake risk is strongest. Or landslide risk. Alaska has only had one tornado recorded but had the biggest earthquake recorded in modern times. Hawaii only gets one tornado per year on average, but they are rocking that whole tsunami, earthquake, and volcano thing.

Statistically speaking, for major urban areas safest from natural disasters, Detroit is your safest bet. Good luck with that, let us know how that works out for you.

Last edited by ersatz; 06-27-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 06:10 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Tornadoes, yes, we get them but Iíve seldom heard anything more than an EF1. Canít remember any E3 or E4ís in Virginia (correct me if Iím wrong).
Umm, not to make a big thing of it, but you are wrong. Check out Tornado History Project: Virginia

An F3 blew past a couple blocks from my neighborhood in 1979. Another F3 sort of intersected paths around 1992 in the Seven Corners area. There are a couple recorded F4s in Va.

Few people know, but one of our local DMV tornadoes played a MAJOR part in American history.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ngton-33901211

Last edited by ersatz; 06-27-2018 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 03:46 AM

414 posts, read 358,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Umm, not to make a big thing of it, but you are wrong. Check out Tornado History Project: Virginia

An F3 blew past a couple blocks from my neighborhood in 1979. Another F3 sort of intersected paths around 1992 in the Seven Corners area. There are a couple recorded F4s in Va.

Few people know, but one of our local DMV tornadoes played a MAJOR part in American history.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ngton-33901211
I was around for the Virginia tornado outbreak in August 1993. Among the 20+ confirmed tornadoes that it produced was an F4 that went through Petersburg and Colonial Heights (which would have been an EF5 under the current scale), less than 10 miles away from where I was living in Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia