U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 PM
 
7 posts, read 8,389 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 39-year-old single woman considering moving to VA/WV and would appreciate suggestions of rural towns with (hopefully!) the following qualities:

1. Affordability: I know this is relative, but I would hope to be able to rent a clean 2br house with a yard for under $1000.

2. Hiking trails/outdoor active: I have lived adjacent to rivers and national forests in Oregon and California and Arizona, so I am spoiled in this regard and really value having good hikes and access to wildlands within a 15-20 min drive of home. I also love living with others who are outdoor active. Strong preference for hills/mountains as opposed to flatlands.

3. Liberal-friendly: Having brown skin, I need to feel safe in my direct community. I don't mind a mix of politics, but having access to a natural foods grocery store and community awareness and support for small farms, environmental and social needs, as well as being able to make friends with folks who are like-minded/hearted is important. Not looking for homogeneity, just access and safety and friendliness.

4. Small-town with access: I plan to live rurally (would love to have an acre or ten!) as I love the quietude and would like to farm a bit, however, I would want to be within 45 min of some town of size (20,000+)that has a whole foods, university, walmart, etc. This could mean living in a sweet rural community 45 min outside a city of 100,000 or it could mean living just outside a town of 30,000.

5. Mild climate: Sunshine in the winter (compared to having grown up in Oregon) would be fantastic! I don't need snow, but enjoy it in small doses. My impression is that most of VA/WV is indeed relatively mild, so I don't anticipate this being a huge issue.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Last edited by nicoleselinger; 06-29-2018 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2018, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,408 posts, read 3,054,437 times
Reputation: 4422
You were doing good 'till you threw in the liberal disclaimer. This is red country. Unless you are close to a university, things aren't very "liberal". Both states have lots of affordable rural areas, lots of hiking...access to Whole Paycheck, not so much, but there are other options, local farmers markets (nothing like the farmers market in Eugene tho'), or direct from the farmer purchasing. Our small town of 400 is peaceful, close to a huge lake and within an hour or so of good shopping. No "brown" culture, but for the most part, everyone gets along and is accepting of others.
Employment opportunities in rural America usually mirrors access to high speed internet, so keep that in mind.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Maryland
1,696 posts, read 535,008 times
Reputation: 3764
Decades ago, I lived in Charlottesville and it very nice geographically. Both it and Blacksburg are university dominated, Blacksburg more so, beautiful areas. The only thing is, once you get outside of the university environs, it’s not the same.

Newport News and the Hampton Roads area is larger, also some university presence but a LOT of military. A large military presence usually means a lot of mixed races. Northern Virginia is more liberal in general but it’s expensive.

I guess the bottom line is, you’re probably not going to find it all. I’d pick that single most important thing for yourself and start with that, then seek to optimize the other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Roanoke, VA
1,609 posts, read 2,615,206 times
Reputation: 1082
Roanoke VA is not what you would call a "liberal city" like Charlottesville. But after living in "tea party Texas," I find it to have a healthy diversity of opinions and it is fairly easy to connect with folks who lean more progressive.

The Roanoke City representative in the state house is a young Muslim Democrat - the son of immigrants - who last ran unopposed. Gosh that sounds so stupid to quote that but I think you know what I mean. In any event, that just would not happen in a place one would describe as "red country."

You see your share of Confederate flags - this is Virginia, after all. But you also see your share of yard signs that say "No matter where you are from, we are glad you are our neighbor" - in Spanish, English and Arabic.

Certain neighborhoods definitely lend themselves to being more inclusive! Draw a one mile radius around the Grandin Village shopping area (where Grandin Theatre is)! (But I note you are looking more rural....but still this will be the place to connect in Roanoke.)

I would describe this part of Virginia more as "Four Seasons" than as "mild climate." Again, it depends on your point of reference.

If you wanna check out a really quirky-progressive-tolerant little town, the town of Floyd, VA - a little less than an hour from Roanoke - is really something. There's a thread about Floyd somewhere.

The actual population of the town of Floyd is less than 500 but it has a natural foods store - HARVEST MOON! That should tell you something!

https://www.facebook.com/Harvest-Moo...-155990614904/

Affordability is good. We have the Natural Foods Co-op and Earth Fare (Asheville's answer to Whole Foods - that just came to town this year!) Since you are looking rural, you might lean TOWARD Floyd....OR toward Blacksburg, where Virginia Tech is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:48 AM
 
631 posts, read 521,216 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleselinger View Post
Hello,

I am a 39-year-old single woman considering moving to VA/WV and would appreciate suggestions of rural towns with (hopefully!) the following qualities:

1. Affordability: I know this is relative, but I would hope to be able to rent a clean 2br house with a yard for under $1000.

2. Hiking trails/outdoor active: I have lived adjacent to rivers and national forests in Oregon and California and Arizona, so I am spoiled in this regard and really value having good hikes and access to wildlands within a 15-20 min drive of home. I also love living with others who are outdoor active. Strong preference for hills/mountains as opposed to flatlands.

3. Liberal-friendly: Having brown skin, I need to feel safe in my direct community. I don't mind a mix of politics, but having access to a natural foods grocery store and community awareness and support for small farms, environmental and social needs, as well as being able to make friends with folks who are like-minded/hearted is important. Not looking for homogeneity, just access and safety and friendliness.

4. Small-town with access: I plan to live rurally (would love to have an acre or ten!) as I love the quietude and would like to farm a bit, however, I would want to be within 45 min of some town of size (20,000+)that has a whole foods, university, walmart, etc. This could mean living in a sweet rural community 45 min outside a city of 100,000 or it could mean living just outside a town of 30,000.

5. Mild climate: Sunshine in the winter (compared to having grown up in Oregon) would be fantastic! I don't need snow, but enjoy it in small doses. My impression is that most of VA/WV is indeed relatively mild, so I don't anticipate this being a huge issue.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Why don't you look at California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 09:32 AM
 
1,686 posts, read 1,345,049 times
Reputation: 1692
Northern Virginia really is your best bet with everything you're looking for. Unfortunately you would need to add about $2000-$3000 to your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Roanoke, VA
1,609 posts, read 2,615,206 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Northern Virginia really is your best bet with everything you're looking for. Unfortunately you would need to add about $2000-$3000 to your budget.
Affordable - hiking - outdoor - rural - 45 minutes max to civilization ha - hills & mountains.

Are there places in NoVa you are thinking of? (Most people think urbs or burbs or exurbs when you say NoVa!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 12:43 PM
 
1,686 posts, read 1,345,049 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Affordable - hiking - outdoor - rural - 45 minutes max to civilization ha - hills & mountains.

Are there places in NoVa you are thinking of? (Most people think urbs or burbs or exurbs when you say NoVa!)
A few towns in Loudoun County fit the bill for the most part (Purcellville, Middleburg, Lovettsville).

Budget wouldn’t work though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Roanoke, VA
1,609 posts, read 2,615,206 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
A few towns in Loudoun County fit the bill for the most part (Purcellville, Middleburg, Lovettsville).

Budget wouldn’t work though.
THANKS - I am a relocated TEXAN so I just have a general knowledge of NoVa!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,839 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Roanoke VA is not what you would call a "liberal city" like Charlottesville. But after living in "tea party Texas," I find it to have a healthy diversity of opinions and it is fairly easy to connect with folks who lean more progressive.

The Roanoke City representative in the state house is a young Muslim Democrat - the son of immigrants - who last ran unopposed. Gosh that sounds so stupid to quote that but I think you know what I mean. In any event, that just would not happen in a place one would describe as "red country."

You see your share of Confederate flags - this is Virginia, after all. But you also see your share of yard signs that say "No matter where you are from, we are glad you are our neighbor" - in Spanish, English and Arabic.

Certain neighborhoods definitely lend themselves to being more inclusive! Draw a one mile radius around the Grandin Village shopping area (where Grandin Theatre is)! (But I note you are looking more rural....but still this will be the place to connect in Roanoke.)

I would describe this part of Virginia more as "Four Seasons" than as "mild climate." Again, it depends on your point of reference.

If you wanna check out a really quirky-progressive-tolerant little town, the town of Floyd, VA - a little less than an hour from Roanoke - is really something. There's a thread about Floyd somewhere.

The actual population of the town of Floyd is less than 500 but it has a natural foods store - HARVEST MOON! That should tell you something!

https://www.facebook.com/Harvest-Moo...-155990614904/

Affordability is good. We have the Natural Foods Co-op and Earth Fare (Asheville's answer to Whole Foods - that just came to town this year!) Since you are looking rural, you might lean TOWARD Floyd....OR toward Blacksburg, where Virginia Tech is.

Well, Im living in Northern VA now, and this post basically explains what Im looking for. I guess it was hard to define, but being too expensive in Northern VA is a huge concern for me, and, me, being raised in West Virginia and in other countries, I think my other bottom line is moving somewhere that at least tolerates both the Confederate flag folk and people who do come from differant backgrounds, even if the Hispanics and Arabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top