U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:01 PM

159 posts, read 42,988 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? Probably late Spring 2019
Where are you coming from? California (Is it OK to admit that here?)
Why are you moving? Wanting to retire to a peaceful place far from California
Where will you be working? Would like to pick up a part time job
Have you been here yet? Been through most of the Blue Ridge mountains in GA, TN, and NC. Looking in SW VA in October

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, Id like to limit it to 200K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, grown children
Do you prefer public or private schools? DNA
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Not much of one, enough for a garden.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm, Quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Basic Services, within driving distance to a little more urban
Nightlife

We are open minded, but probably considered more conservative. We are Christians, but enjoy the younger, more 21st century styles of church and worship. I have done significant home remodeling, have worked around the trades for decades, can do electrical, plumbing, tile, flooring, etc. Also like to work on my old hot-rod truck. I need a garage or workshop, or preferably both. I am hoping to do a little fishing too. I wouldn't mind finding a killer deal on a house in a good area that needs to be renovated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 PM

2,612 posts, read 3,312,869 times
Clarksville/Buggs Island Lake (also known as Kerr Lake) area. Skilled tradesmen are always in demand around here. Only small town shopping is local, when I shop, it's in the Raleigh/Durham area...a little over an hour south.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-01-2018, 06:16 AM

21,703 posts, read 31,562,764 times
Check out the Christiansburg-Radford-Pulaski area along the the I-81 corridor which nails all of your criteria I think.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...qm_yudga_crid/

Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 PM

I will definitely check those out. We will be there mid October. Thank you for the reply!

Old 08-24-2019, 05:31 PM

21,703 posts, read 31,562,764 times
Curious as to what your impressions were. Did you move?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 AM

The trip was great and informative, but caused me to step back and look a little more. We came up from NC through Damascus (Nice) and traveled throughout the area from Abingdon to Lexington. We really liked Blacksburg, and Christiansburg was nice. Many of the communities between Abingdon and Christiansburg look like they have suffered some decline. It's a beautiful area, but nothing there really grabbed our attention. On the way back we went through Floyd (really liked it), Hillsville, etc. We fell in love with the Meadows of Dan and Fancy Gap area, but we also realized it might be a little too remote for us. Everywhere we went, the people were great. I will say that I regularly drive on some of the world's busiest freeways, and the traffic and driving style on the 81 was scary! I have never seen traffic moving at that speed and everyone following so closely, not even in Southern CA. Someone on here posted that in that NASCAR area they are just drafting. lol

Anyway, I expected to find the place that said "this is home", but that didn't happen. If I had to go there right now, I would look for something in the Blacksburg area or maybe Floyd. So far We are leaning more toward NC, but certainly haven't made up our minds. We are hoping to make another trip before long. We are planning on checking out a part of Western NC we haven't seen yet and then looking at NE TN and up into the greater Bristol VA area, maybe check out Abingdon more closely. I think I could be pretty comfortable living just about anywhere we saw above 2000' elevation or so. Now we are taking into consideration availability of services, etc. Virginia is not out of the running for us at all.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:51 AM

25,667 posts, read 19,077,442 times
The problem with southwest VA is going to be job availability. I used to work in Lebanon, which is around thirty minutes from Abingdon, and there’s nearly nothing there. A lot of folks in southwest VA commute back to the cities in northeast TN, where there are more jobs. About the only options are hospitals, local government, and some light manufacturing.

Bristol, VA has a lot of fiscal issues and problems that aren’t present on the TN side. It’s highly likely the property taxes on the VA side will go up.

WNC is likely going to be pricier than northeast TN or southwest VA. A lot of non locals don’t realize this, but much of the higher elevation land in TN is protected park or forest, and isn’t available to build on. VA will have more options at the elevation, but fewer work opportunities and services until you get toward the Roanoke area.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem with southwest VA is going to be job availability. I used to work in Lebanon, which is around thirty minutes from Abingdon, and there’s nearly nothing there. A lot of folks in southwest VA commute back to the cities in northeast TN, where there are more jobs. About the only options are hospitals, local government, and some light manufacturing.

Bristol, VA has a lot of fiscal issues and problems that aren’t present on the TN side. It’s highly likely the property taxes on the VA side will go up.

WNC is likely going to be pricier than northeast TN or southwest VA. A lot of non locals don’t realize this, but much of the higher elevation land in TN is protected park or forest, and isn’t available to build on. VA will have more options at the elevation, but fewer work opportunities and services until you get toward the Roanoke area.
We will be retired, so job availability will not be the issue. I do like to work, so if I want to stay busy I would be comfortable part time in a hardware or home improvement store, or something like that. We are both quite healthy, but as we get older being close enough to services to make a comfortable commute is important. That's the only issue I had with places like Meadows of Dan. We are going to take a hard look at NE TN, and also the Brevard NC area before we make a decision. There seem to different positives and negatives about taxes and cost of living between VA, NC and TN. Overall it seems like TN may have a little better edge on that, but the bottom lines are not too different from each other. VA does appear to have some political and fiscal unrest that are a bit of s concern.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 AM

25,667 posts, read 19,077,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
We will be retired, so job availability will not be the issue. I do like to work, so if I want to stay busy I would be comfortable part time in a hardware or home improvement store, or something like that. We are both quite healthy, but as we get older being close enough to services to make a comfortable commute is important. That's the only issue I had with places like Meadows of Dan. We are going to take a hard look at NE TN, and also the Brevard NC area before we make a decision. There seem to different positives and negatives about taxes and cost of living between VA, NC and TN. Overall it seems like TN may have a little better edge on that, but the bottom lines are not too different from each other. VA does appear to have some political and fiscal unrest that are a bit of s concern.
I live in the northeast TN area, and am closing on a condo in Bristol, TN next week.

Medical services throughout east TN, southwest VA, and western NC are going to be poor to middling in most cases. Overall, these are lightly populated areas, and many services are simply unavailable here.

My girlfriend is 25 with a lot of medical issues. She had to have two surgeries at Vanderbilt in Nashville last year because no local doctor could treat her. A former professor of mine was diagnosed with an aggressive brain cancer and was sent to Duke. A local bodybuilder and friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS locally, but his symptoms didn't square with ALS, and he went to Vanderbilt and was diagnosed with an entirely different condition. I could probably name half a dozen more cases like this of medical problems in this area. It is very, very common for some conditions (especially autoimmune) to be referred out of area. Other specialties, like cardiology, are fine.

If in southwest VA, you'll probably want to go at least as far as Wytheville to get into the Carilion footprint. I'm somewhat less familiar with the situation in WNC, but the local health system there, Mission, was nonprofit and was recently bought by a for-profit operation based out of Nashville.

TN is going to (probably) have a somewhat lower cost of living due to a lower tax burden. WNC is likely to be your most expensive, and likely by quite a lot as it's been "discovered" by out of area residents far more than VA/TN.

Hillsville, VA is at about 2500' elevation, which is higher than TN's highest city, Mountain City. I like that area between Wytheville going down I-77 toward Fancy Gap and the NC line. You're within an hour and a half of Winston-Salem, which has far better hospitals. Wytheville has its own community hospital, Sam's Club, and enough basic amenities.

If you could swing it and want milder summers, you might want to look into Blowing Rock and Boone, NC. If you want a bigger city with more amenities, Johnson City, TN, might be worth a look. You could also look past Roanoke going toward Staunton or even on I-64 toward Charlottesville.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in the northeast TN area, and am closing on a condo in Bristol, TN next week.

Medical services throughout east TN, southwest VA, and western NC are going to be poor to middling in most cases. Overall, these are lightly populated areas, and many services are simply unavailable here.

My girlfriend is 25 with a lot of medical issues. She had to have two surgeries at Vanderbilt in Nashville last year because no local doctor could treat her. A former professor of mine was diagnosed with an aggressive brain cancer and was sent to Duke. A local bodybuilder and friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS locally, but his symptoms didn't square with ALS, and he went to Vanderbilt and was diagnosed with an entirely different condition. I could probably name half a dozen more cases like this of medical problems in this area. It is very, very common for some conditions (especially autoimmune) to be referred out of area. Other specialties, like cardiology, are fine.

If in southwest VA, you'll probably want to go at least as far as Wytheville to get into the Carilion footprint. I'm somewhat less familiar with the situation in WNC, but the local health system there, Mission, was nonprofit and was recently bought by a for-profit operation based out of Nashville.

TN is going to (probably) have a somewhat lower cost of living due to a lower tax burden. WNC is likely to be your most expensive, and likely by quite a lot as it's been "discovered" by out of area residents far more than VA/TN.

Hillsville, VA is at about 2500' elevation, which is higher than TN's highest city, Mountain City. I like that area between Wytheville going down I-77 toward Fancy Gap and the NC line. You're within an hour and a half of Winston-Salem, which has far better hospitals. Wytheville has its own community hospital, Sam's Club, and enough basic amenities.

If you could swing it and want milder summers, you might want to look into Blowing Rock and Boone, NC. If you want a bigger city with more amenities, Johnson City, TN, might be worth a look. You could also look past Roanoke going toward Staunton or even on I-64 toward Charlottesville.
Great feedback, thanks. We have spent time on a couple of trips in the Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk areas, as well as some others nearer Asheville. I didn't think I was going to pry my wife loose from Blowing Rock to go home! The drive from there through Mountain City TN and up into Damascus VA was one of the prettiest I have ever seen. I want to take a look around Brevard NC next time, but I am really interested in some areas not far from Johnson City. I want to check out Jonesborough and Elizabethton and along the 26 toward Unicoi and Erwin. We have been from Chatanooga to Knoxville through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg over through Maggie Valley into NC, but we have never been to the more NE part of TN. Erwin looks like there is a ton of railroad activity for how small it is, do you know what that's all about?

For the past couple of years we have wanted to get back there in the worst part of summer to see what it is really like, but we have not been able to do it. We may wait until next summer, but I am getting anxious and may not hold out that long. As nice as fall is, to me there is nothing anywhere like Springtime in those mountains. One of my sons is wanting to move to the Bristol TN area next year. He is a really good HVAC tech with experience in large commercial systems as well as smaller stuff. I suspect he wouldn't have too much trouble finding work, his wife is a veterinary tech.

Any other comment about the areas around JC is appreciated. We are looking for a little higher elevation, but not super remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia