Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:22 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Interesting opinion, but wouldn't you think it is "a state where the average life expectancy and opportunity to improves ones living conditions are much better" because it was as Conservative as it is/was since it's beginnings??
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly but beyond history and looking at today even the best performing areas (health, schools, incomes, upward mobility etc..) within Virginia are Blue. Mississippi has always been one of the more conservative states and it along with it's peers like Alabama are not very desirable places to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
It's not the only reason but a big part of the equation. I like to visit DE but I don't think I would want to retire there; it's very flat and not many cultural activities. At this time, DE is at about the same level as VA tax wise, at least according to Kiplinger.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...rees/index.php

Based on this map, I think I would chose PA or NH for retirement.

PA and NH are two great choices. Many people love retirement in both of those places. Were we supposed to talk you into wanting to retire here? Not sure why I would want to do that; everyone has a different retirement paradise. This is where I'm happy, and I believe all retirees should go where they'll be happy, too. Meanwhile, since it isn't the place for you, there's no need for you to worry about decisions made by those of us who do love living here.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly but beyond history and looking at today even the best performing areas (health, schools, incomes, upward mobility etc..) within Virginia are Blue. Mississippi has always been one of the more conservative states and it along with it's peers like Alabama are not very desirable places to live in.
What I am saying is that Virginia is great today because of it's Red/Conservative History and Leadership.

Those Blue areas that you are talking about will be turning more and more just like those other Liberal states as time goes on. As mentioned earlier, name another Liberal state of all the ones we have in the 50 that you would like Virginia to be just like?

Remember the Title of this thread:

"Tax Hikes will be next" along will all the other problems Blue States have.

Why do you think droves are moving out of them?

Old 12-20-2018, 08:36 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
What I am saying is that Virginia is great today because of it's Red/Conservative History and Leadership.

Those Blue areas that you are talking about will be turning more and more just like those other Liberal states as time goes on. As mentioned earlier, name another Liberal state of all the ones we have in the 50 that you would like Virginia to be just like?

Remember the Title of this thread:

"Tax Hikes will be next" along will all the other problems Blue States have.

Why do you think droves are moving out of them?
Well, the Bluer states in the US tend to generally have a higher quality of life so I'm fine with it. I don't think Virginia is ever going to be the next California but I assume it will head in the direction of perhaps a New Jersey/Maryland.

Virginia today, has a stable and healthy economy due to, whether you like it or not, but mostly Nova's growth. If I recall, the Nova region only gets back 30-40 cents on the dollar they send to the state which gets re dispersed to help more economically challenged areas like the Southwest. Virginia universities perform well and attract top notch students which mostly come from bluer areas.

Tax Hikes have to happen if you want living standards (i.e. public education, roads, healthcare etc.) to excel. Even in the current red states, the blue areas tend to be where most flock to i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Birmingham.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you removed either the blue or red areas of Virginia, removing the blue areas would have a more detrimental impact to the state.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Well, the Bluer states in the US tend to generally have a higher quality of life so I'm fine with it. I don't think Virginia is ever going to be the next California but I assume it will head in the direction of perhaps a New Jersey/Maryland.

Virginia today, has a stable and healthy economy due to, whether you like it or not, but mostly Nova's growth. If I recall, the Nova region only gets back 30-40 cents on the dollar they send to the state which gets re dispersed to help more economically challenged areas like the Southwest. Virginia universities perform well and attract top notch students which mostly come from bluer areas.

Tax Hikes have to happen if you want living standards (i.e. public education, roads, healthcare etc.) to excel. Even in the current red states, the blue areas tend to be where most flock to i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Birmingham.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you removed either the blue or red areas of Virginia, removing the blue areas would have a more detrimental impact to the state.
You can't pay the state with a broad brush. What goes on in NoVA really has no bearing on what goes on where I worked in Lebanon.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
We are trying our best here in Red country.

There is still a lot of RED country still in VA. The vast majority of the Shenandoah Valley is Red but places like NOVA and the Tidewater/Richmond/Charlottesville areas have the larger population.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Well, the Bluer states in the US tend to generally have a higher quality of life so I'm fine with it.
Depending on what you call a higher quality of life ??

I dis-agree. There is a whole great big South out there. And many fine places to live with Low Crime, Low Taxes, Reasonable Real Estate, Trustworthy and Friendly People, Little or No Traffic, "Real" Freedom and something special about it that you really can't hold in your hand. That's the place I'm talking about.

Quote:
but I assume it will head in the direction of perhaps a New Jersey/Maryland.
Oh No!! Please don't say that!!!

I know people there that complain constantly and can't wait to get out, that is if they can.

I can now see that we are two people of very different views and opinions in life.

The only thing is, my views are more of the typical Virginia (not just NOVA now, the whole state) and yours are not.

To prove my point take a Poll of all Virginians and ask them if they would like to be like NJ someday ??

Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
There is still a lot of RED country still in VA. The vast majority of the Shenandoah Valley is Red but places like NOVA and the Tidewater/Richmond/Charlottesville areas have the larger population.
You are correct.

Taking a look at a political map, Virginia is about 2/3's to 3/4's Red. Virginia would still be Red if places like NOVA did not over-power the state with their voting population going Blue. Mostly by people who weren't even from here in the first place.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Divide the state in two. Have NOVA and it's surrounding areas become it's own state and we will do just fine. Name a time in history when NOVA was small and insignificant where the state suffered?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
You are correct.

Taking a look at a political map, Virginia is about 2/3's to 3/4's Red. Virginia would still be Red if places like NOVA did not over-power the state with their voting population going Blue. Mostly by people who weren't even from here in the first place.
Get over the "weren't from here in the first place" people have moved here and made this their home and have as much right to their opinion as you to yours. The map may reflect voting trends but numbers are what counts and that's where the rural localities fall short. As I stated before if the Red Party would stop choosing extreme candidates then those who usually vote red wouldn't have to switch to another party. Also if red counties actually got out and voted their effect would be far greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia