U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,209 times

Advertisements

Hey gang. First time posting here and need a little advise on the commute. I am looking at buying in Purcelleville for my wife and 3 children and have seen some of the commute horror stories. We are now in a area by Bethesda and renting and for what we could afford around here we get a new home for in Purcelleville. The draw back is the commute.I am a stay home dad and my wife travels alot with her job so would not be making it an everyday trip and has the flexibility of hrs to a point. She would be leaving Purcelleville around 6:30 am and then leaving Chevy Chase around 3:15pm. I have done the trip during these hrs as a trial run and it was about 45 min with using the toll roads. Does this sound about the average time? I know that with an accident or weather that would change. We really like the small town atmosphere of the area and the good schools so we are at the crossroads before we sign on a house. Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,361,100 times
Wow. Let me just say that I'm floored that you were able to do that commute in 45 minutes! I didn't think it was doable in under an hour (mapquest says 59 minutes, even with tolls) considering it's nearly 50 miles and for me to get from Ashburn (significantly closer) to Chevy Chase would take around 45 minutes using the toll roads and without any traffic.

Okay, so shock and awe aside, I would say that at the very least, your wife will be escaping the brunt of rush hour traffic due to her times on the roads, particularly on the way there. While "traffic" starts at around 6AM and then again at 3PM, as I'm sure you know as a DC area resident, the brunt of the rush hour gridlock is from 7-9AM and 4-6:30PM or so. I would think a morning commute would run at least an hour, and an afternoon a bit longer. I would normally say it would be at least an hour and a half each way, but since you were able to do it in 45 minutes, I'm altering my numbers, just for you .

I would recommend if feasible, to attempt the commute during the exact times your wife would be leaving to get an idea on commuting times. Unless of course your 45 minute trial run was already done DURING rush hour, in which case, I may faint.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,291 times
wow. 45 minutes? How did you manage that? I think if you can find a house closer to greenway, your wife's commute will be much better. I don't know how many miles away from greenway purcellville is. IIRC, it was good 10 to 15 miles away.

Traffic can backup big time if there's an accident at any exit on the greenway/tollroad. That's a major concern for people with long commutes. I would say if you really must move to loudoun county, at least consider living closer to greenway or 28, than away from them.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM

52 posts, read 150,899 times
you are right on.... 45 minutes except in rain/snow or other problem. It is worth living in a small town, if the commute is worth it. Good Luck. Purcellville is a great town, especially if you like farming and that world

Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 AM

380 posts, read 1,001,749 times
If you are willing to commute from Purcellville to CC, you might want to consider Harpers Ferry or Shepherdstown WV as well. Travel time may be a tad longer but if you commute off hours or use alternate roads it should be less congested than the VA side to the beltway. I used to commute to Gaithersburg, and would often take a route through Adamstown & Germantown. Slower roads, but it was only about 43 miles with usually minimal traffic. And like Wanderingsoul said about back ups; The MD side has many more alternative routes in case there is a problem. The only bottleneck that we still have is across the potomac at Harpers Ferry. But if there is a major problem there, it's easy enough to head north along the river to cross at Shepherdstown. You also have the MARC train option from here. WV will have a much lower cost for your house and lower RE taxes with the same 'feel' as the Purcelville area.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,798,536 times
I want to commend you for the undertaking of such a commute. I have to agree with the folks here regarding the time (the 45 min).Yes, about right if there are no problems. With problems -- I'd say 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs. I would also suggest that your wife leave earlier on the days she has to go to Chevy Chase, 6am or 6:15 am an so she can get out earlier.

I absolutely love that area out there, Purcelville, Round Hill and points west. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,019,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingsoul View Post
wow. 45 minutes? How did you manage that? I think if you can find a house closer to greenway, your wife's commute will be much better. I don't know how many miles away from greenway purcellville is. IIRC, it was good 10 to 15 miles away.

Traffic can backup big time if there's an accident at any exit on the greenway/tollroad. That's a major concern for people with long commutes. I would say if you really must move to loudoun county, at least consider living closer to greenway or 28, than away from them.
Purcellville is a big spread out town (from a land area perspective) so it will depend in large part where you. I am in Round Hill, two miles west of Purcellville proper, but about a mile from Route 7 (highway). It takes us about 10 mins to get to the Greenway in Leesburg - it's about 8-10 miles from the Purcellville exit off Route 7, so it depends where you are in town and how accessible to route 7 you are. You won't often hit traffic until you get to Leesburg in the morning, especially at that time. Coming back, it starts to build up around Leesburg on route 7 at about 4:30 PM but it won't be too bad at that time.

Oh and btw way, I love Purcellville so if you can do the commute, highly recommend!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 PM

44 posts, read 50,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Hey gang. First time posting here and need a little advise on the commute. I am looking at buying in Purcelleville for my wife and 3 children and have seen some of the commute horror stories. We are now in a area by Bethesda and renting and for what we could afford around here we get a new home for in Purcelleville. The draw back is the commute.I am a stay home dad and my wife travels alot with her job so would not be making it an everyday trip and has the flexibility of hrs to a point. She would be leaving Purcelleville around 6:30 am and then leaving Chevy Chase around 3:15pm. I have done the trip during these hrs as a trial run and it was about 45 min with using the toll roads. Does this sound about the average time? I know that with an accident or weather that would change. We really like the small town atmosphere of the area and the good schools so we are at the crossroads before we sign on a house. Any input is appreciated.
Sorry...but it's people like you who have ruined the once proud Loudon I knew.
West Loudon is a RURAL community...not some bedroom community for long distance commuters.

Go ahead, buy a house, contribute to more sprawl, more light pollution, and more greenhouse gasses.
You know 10 years ago the sky was black at night and you could see the starts...but thanks to YUPPIES that has changed for the worse.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,019,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post
Sorry...but it's people like you who have ruined the once proud Loudon I knew.
West Loudon is a RURAL community...not some bedroom community for long distance commuters.

Go ahead, buy a house, contribute to more sprawl, more light pollution, and more greenhouse gasses.
You know 10 years ago the sky was black at night and you could see the starts...but thanks to YUPPIES that has changed for the worse.

Not to be the spelling police but if you're such a fan, perhaps you should learn how to spell Loudoun? Or did the yuppies change the spelling on ya? Perhaps if the town and county governments had done a better job with planning and zoning and managing the "sprawl", Loudoun wouldn't be in the position its in no? The OP is likely not BUILDING a house, he's BUYING a house that is already built. SO, exactly how is he contributing to the sprawl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia