Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM

63 posts, read 38,866 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are considering Virginia as a retirement locale. Neither of us have yet been there, but we plan several scouting trips this year. We'd appreciate some initial input to get us started in the right direction, because so many places in Virginia sound great!

As mentioned, we're both retired, solvent with good health insurance, and would like to keep our house budget to 500K maximum. Would like to be in a smaller city or town (100,000 or less) that emphasizes geographical beauty, nice architecture, zoning, and a bit of history and culture. Would prefer a slightly newer home (2000 or newer), +- 2000 sf, in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Half an acre would be desirable but isn't a firm requirement. Not close to areas that flood, and a slightly sunnier locale (if there are such).

Any advice on which areas and cities/towns we should consider is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
As long as you stay out of Northern Virginia, there’s lots of small,lovely cities to choose.

I’m always curious — why Virginia, if neither of you have been before?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 PM

LynchburgLover, we're considering Virginia because we've heard for many years about the state's remarkable beauty, lovely cities and towns, rich historical sites, temperate (to us) climate, and overall culture. We've spent the last few decades in two U.S. locales that are raw, brash, stiflingly hot and, geographically, unremarkable at best. It's time for a welcome change.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
LynchburgLover, we're considering Virginia because we've heard for many years about the state's remarkable beauty, lovely cities and towns, rich historical sites, temperate (to us) climate, and overall culture. We've spent the last few decades in two U.S. locales that are raw, brash, stiflingly hot and, geographically, unremarkable at best. It's time for a welcome change.
It is beautiful. We were in Loudoun County for 18 years

If you search and read about each of the cities, you can repost in that forum to get more specific info. Your inquiry is a little vague about what you’re seeking and Virginia is a very large and diverse state.

If you stay in any of the cities along I-81, you’ll find slightly cooler climates in the summer but there will be cold, snow and ice because of the mountains. Start with Winchester and go down the Valley.
Obviously, I love Lynchburg although we are now in SC. (Our kids were in school there when I picked the screen name and considered it for retirement). Winchester is wonderful — and close to DC for day trips. Your budget gives you tremendous flexibility as long as you’re not too close to DC.

Best of luck.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
There are many charming small towns that fit your description, although I'm not sure we have the geographic beauty you're seeking. Virginia is extremely pretty, but I wouldn't call it dramatically beautiful in the way California is. Definitely pretty, though, especially if you like lush, green, and lots of gardens. If you want a place as sunny as Arizona you might not like Virginia. On the other hand, we're a lot sunnier than places in the midwest or NE. A trip to check it out would definitely help. FWIW we moved here from California and love it. Come check it out and see if it might be a place you'd love, too.

I would use the search function for this forum and type in words like "retirement", "historic", "charming", etc. That should lead you to quite a few detailed threads about towns you might like.

Some things to decide include how small of a town you're looking for, how important it is to have a top quality hospital nearby, and whether or not you want more of a coastal town or a mountain town. I wouldn't worry too much about flooding, unless you're looking around Virginia Beach or Norfolk. And even then you can always find a house on higher ground.

I totally agree that you'll want to stay away from Northern VA. It's too frantic and too career oriented to be appealing to retirees. The rest of Virginia is very appealing to retirees. We retired to Williamsburg, and if that's interesting to you, you can find several threads I've written about it. I'd guess maybe 60-70% of the people who live here are retirees from the NE, Midwest, and California.

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-10-2019 at 04:24 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Williamsburg is popular and has numerous special retirement communities such as Kingsmill and Ford's Colony, along with what's probably the foremost restored living-history site attraction in all the world (Colonial Williamsburg)....the (voted as) prettiest theme-park in the USA (Busch Gardens Old Country)....and the prestigious 2nd-oldest college in America. Williamsburg is between two metropolitan areas, and fairly close to veterans hospitals and military commissaries. A downside is that I-64 can have busy traffic at times, and is one of the few ways in and out.

Charlottesville, with its sophistication, is ranked on many lists as one of the best small cities to live in, or retire to in all the USA, but is high-priced. U-VA there, is one of the most prestigious public state universities in the USA. The horse farms and wineries just east of Charlottesville are really gorgeous to drive past. Its hospital is highly ranked.

But any of the other small cities in the Shenandoah Valley along I-81, or in the Piedmont area, are good alternatives. Winchester, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Lexington, Lynchburg, Roanoke, Blacksburg. All of them have universities with the accompanying culture and performing arts. I-81 does have an excess of tractor-trailer traffic, more so than other interstates.

Some people who want more rural isolation choose lakefront or bayfront homes such as at Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Gaston, Clarksville, Lake Anna.....or around Kilmarnock, Gloucester, or Deltaville in the east.

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-10-2019 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 AM

These are great replies, and very helpful. Though the mountain areas look especially beautiful, we'd like to be in a warmer, sunnier locale. We're not looking for Southwest-type sun; in fact, we want to escape blast-furnace heat and sun we've experienced in Arizona and Texas. Soft, green prettiness and seasonal change is exactly what appeals! My spouse is an organ transplant recipient, so we'd need to be near (2 - 3 hour drive max) a city with top-notch medical facilities. No rural setting, just a nice, well-kept town or city under 100,000. Also, we'd prefer to stay away from areas that are heavily evangelical. Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
These are great replies, and very helpful. Though the mountain areas look especially beautiful, we'd like to be in a warmer, sunnier locale. We're not looking for Southwest-type sun; in fact, we want to escape blast-furnace heat and sun we've experienced in Arizona and Texas. Soft, green prettiness and seasonal change is exactly what appeals! My spouse is an organ transplant recipient, so we'd need to be near (2 - 3 hour drive max) a city with top-notch medical facilities. No rural setting, just a nice, well-kept town or city under 100,000. Also, we'd prefer to stay away from areas that are heavily evangelical. Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Williamsburg or Charlottesville for the hospitals. Both these towns also have some nice churches, but aren't heavily evangelical. Charlottesville may be bigger than what you want, but there are other towns within an hour's drive that might appeal (Gordonsville, Staunton or Orange, for example). That way you could live in a charming, laid back small town and still take advantage of the UV Hospital. These smaller towns are where you will find a stronger evangelical population; the best bet is to visit for yourself and see what feels comfortable. One exception is Floyd, which is more of an artsy town. Also Gloucester Courthouse and Kilmarnock don't strike me as being overly evangelical.

It sounds like Williamsburg might be your best bet. Visit in the summer, to see if it feels too hot for you. It does get hot but I think all the water nearby tempers it. YMMV, however.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Best Neighborhoods in Williamsburg for retirees or those without children

Hospitals in Williamsburg

Williamsburg Real Estate taxes

Williamsburg/Coastal VA for Retirees

Williamsburg VA or West Neck Area VB for retirement

Here are a few threads that might be helpful to you, if Williamsburg sounds interesting. There are lots more, and Charlottesville even has its own forum.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Great review! A few little notes to supplement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Williamsburg is popular and has numerous special retirement communities such as Kingsmill and Ford's Colony,

Those are two great communities, but they aren't retirement communities (although you might think so, since a high percentage of people living in both of them are 55+). Ford's Colony actually has quite a few families, and about 100 or so kids live in the community

Quote:
fairly close to veterans hospitals and military commissaries. A downside is that I-64 can have busy traffic at times, and is one of the few ways in and out.

Don't forget the award winning Senatara Medical Center and the Riverside complex. BTW, if you live here you rarely take 64 (unless you're in a rush or driving to Norfolk, LOL). 60 and 5 will get you to the same places and are so much more pleasant.

Quote:
But any of the other small cities in the Shenandoah Valley along I-81, or in the Piedmont area, are good alternatives. Winchester, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Lexington, Lynchburg, Roanoke, Blacksburg. All of them have universities with the accompanying culture and performing arts. I-81 does have an excess of tractor-trailer traffic, more so than other interstates.

Some people who want more rural isolation choose lakefront or bayfront homes such as at Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Gaston, Clarksville, Lake Anna.....or around Kilmarnock, Gloucester, or Deltaville in the east.

These are all great little towns! Also, Tappahannock, Matthews, Gwynn Island, Montross and Hayes are worth considering. Some of these smaller towns might be a little too evangelical for the OP, though. It's hard to gauge what another person might feel is too mcuh when it comes to things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia