Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 AM

102 posts, read 133,607 times

Advertisements

Does Virginia tax social security benefits? Kiplingers says no but I thought I saw a line on the VA tax form including social security benefits (federal taxable amount).

Also has anyone relocated from NY and found that VA was lower state tax overall? (I know property taxes are less but NY does allow $20,000 in qualified retirement income exclusion vs $12,000 for VA).

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 AM

439 posts, read 425,374 times
Virginia doesn't tax SS. We are also looking at VA for retirement. I am not from NY but would suggest you look at some of the Retirement sites for calculating taxes. Kiplinger and Smart Asset are easy to use.

Throughout this process we are learning to look at the whole picture. Example we are from MD. While our property taxes are higher than VA we do not pay a personal property tax on autos, boats and campers each each. We are not in an HOA community but included in our property tax is street care, snow plowing, sewer etc.

VA also taxes groceries. Williamsburg just raised their sales tax. But, VA offers a 12,000 exemption on retirement which MD doesn't.

After all of this research the biggest thing I have learned is to base your decision on where you really want to live. That being said we are still looking because we love VA as much as MD.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
Virginia doesn't tax SS. We are also looking at VA for retirement. I am not from NY but would suggest you look at some of the Retirement sites for calculating taxes. Kiplinger and Smart Asset are easy to use.

Throughout this process we are learning to look at the whole picture. Example we are from MD. While our property taxes are higher than VA we do not pay a personal property tax on autos, boats and campers each each. We are not in an HOA community but included in our property tax is street care, snow plowing, sewer etc.

VA also taxes groceries. Williamsburg just raised their sales tax. But, VA offers a 12,000 exemption on retirement which MD doesn't.

After all of this research the biggest thing I have learned is to base your decision on where you really want to live. That being said we are still looking because we love VA as much as MD.
Maryland also has an additional county 50% tax (of your state tax amount) added into your state tax bill. I don’t think Virginia does that, though it’s been a long time since I lived there. Having lived in both states, I believe Virginia has a more to offer.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:

VA also taxes groceries. Williamsburg just raised their sales tax.

Insider tip: Locals shop and usually eat out in James City County. You maybe drive an extra mile, but you get better prices, better selection (IMO), and you avoid some of the tax increases that were put in for the tourists. Personally, I think they made a mistake increasing taxes on the tourists, but that's a topic for another thread. Sales tax is now 7%, in case you were wondering.

Quote:

Absolutely agree with this.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 AM

By the way, depending on where you live, it's sometimes possible to have a good portion of your personal property tax taken care of if you volunteer for fire or rescue companies. There are a lot of different ways to volunteer, including helping out with fundraisers or other such administrative work. It might be work checking into. It's also a good way to meet people in your new town.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM

Thanks to all. Yes the little fees do add up beyond an overall tax rate. BTW Piney I never thought you could be rated a volunteer if you weren't going out on calls. DH is a 50 year member of a local Fire Department on Long Island. So maybe we could be involved at our age.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
Thanks to all. Yes the little fees do add up beyond an overall tax rate. BTW Piney I never thought you could be rated a volunteer if you weren't going out on calls. DH is a 50 year member of a local Fire Department on Long Island. So maybe we could be involved at our age.

Which Long Island fire department? Bayville, by any chance? That would be too funny!

Yes, Virginia values its admin volunteers. They have a lot of different things you can do, from helping with membership, doing paperwork, putting on fundraisers, going to the schools for safety education, etc. I can't guarantee that your personal property tax will be covered, since every county does something different. But you'll be appreciated. And, you'll meet a lot of other retirees.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 AM

No Piney. He's with Lynbrook. Bayville is a beautiful area though. It is a good thought if we do make a move.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Having moved here to Roanoke Virginia from NY about two and a half years ago, we’ve greatly reduced our expenses due to the overall cost of living. There is a significant difference.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 AM

Location: "2010 Corporate Ridge Road, Suite 700 McLean, Virginia 22102"
2 posts, read 1,429 times
When you plan to move to another state when you retire, examine the tax burden you’ll face when you arrive. State taxes are increasingly important to everyone, but retirees have extra cause for concern since their income may be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: