U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 12:43 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,164,843 times

Advertisements

Most cities have a stone, Fredericksburg has the (auction) block. As others stated, you should be more concerned about the hellish commute. You got Pentagon folks getting up at 3:30 out there, which is fine if you can come in at 6. Thirty or forty years ago, commuters would live out there for significant amounts of land, but now it is more to find something marginally affordable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:39 AM

166 posts, read 69,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Um, that’s still a pretty awful commute.
what are you talking about? Just take the damn train. It is a pleasant reading hour. You arlington fools living in small duplexes without land are the ones sitting in traffic.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,345,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
what are you talking about? Just take the damn train. It is a pleasant reading hour. You arlington fools living in small duplexes without land are the ones sitting in traffic.
VRE or not, it just seems super far.

But there are clearly people that make it work so I'm not disparaging it. My only point being it's not an easy commute and at some point it can become a quality of life issue. But also I get it, not everyone wants to live in Arlington, some people prefer having land and their own space so it's about finding what works for you.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
VRE or not, it just seems super far.

But there are clearly people that make it work so I'm not disparaging it. My only point being it's not an easy commute and at some point it can become a quality of life issue. But also I get it, not everyone wants to live in Arlington, some people prefer having land and their own space so it's about finding what works for you.
Fredericksburg needs to be approached differently than northern virginia locals -- it is not a direct suburb of DC even though a large segment of the population works in the metro area. With more jobs allowing flextime and remote work options, areas like Fredericksburg and even further out (King George, Spotsylvania, Orange, Caroline, Richmond) give people an opportunity that they wouldn't otherwise have in the highly prohibitive NOVA housing market -- assuming land/space is something valued. I personally would rather take the long commute if it means giving my kids access to a large yard, trees, creeks, rivers -- otherwise what's the point of earning high metro area salaries if you're still scrapping by? With Richmond-area booming, access to an entirely different job market is another boon for the area.

It is basically the only region left in the northern part of the state where you can buy a 3-4 bdrm detached home for under $350k. Can't do that in Loudoun or Prince William anymore without a struggle.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:22 PM

3,893 posts, read 1,990,704 times
Fredericksburg is a racially diverse area and pretty much a very welcoming city. Sure, it still has a certain "old South" air, but it doesn't affect race relations in any way. There's a pretty good hip vibe for the younger folks and a thriving arts community too. I've loved it since I moved here last fall.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM

8,121 posts, read 7,603,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Fredericksburg is a racially diverse area and pretty much a very welcoming city. Sure, it still has a certain "old South" air, but it doesn't affect race relations in any way. There's a pretty good hip vibe for the younger folks and a thriving arts community too. I've loved it since I moved here last fall.

Good to know, a friend is moving there next month and is trying to get me to move there too. My biggest gripe is moving even closer to wear the temps will be colder during the fall till summer than where I am now. We only get snow about once a year here. Plus I left NY to FL and am just half-back already. Much of the research I've done, so far, on the Fredricksburg, area makes me think the good outweighs the feelings I have about the tempetures, it seems pretty close to the perfect place for my retirement years.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Good to know, a friend is moving there next month and is trying to get me to move there too. My biggest gripe is moving even closer to wear the temps will be colder during the fall till summer than where I am now. We only get snow about once a year here. Plus I left NY to FL and am just half-back already. Much of the research I've done, so far, on the Fredricksburg, area makes me think the good outweighs the feelings I have about the tempetures, it seems pretty close to the perfect place for my retirement years.

Fredericksburg is a great place and there are plenty of retired folks who live there but be warned, there is a disproportionate amount of traffic for a town of it's size -- particularly on I-95 and US-1 but also US-17 as well. A lot more working people commuting up to NoVA from the area. Perhaps deeper in Spotsylvania/Caroline county may work for you.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 AM

8,121 posts, read 7,603,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
Fredericksburg is a great place and there are plenty of retired folks who live there but be warned, there is a disproportionate amount of traffic for a town of it's size -- particularly on I-95 and US-1 but also US-17 as well. A lot more working people commuting up to NoVA from the area. Perhaps deeper in Spotsylvania/Caroline county may work for you.
Well, I think I'll be ok, I'd prefer to be nearer my friend if I so chose to move out that way. I did know it was near I-95, but the fact that I don't drive it shouldn't affect me too much except when I need use Uber and other sources of transit to get around on occasion. Once my friend is settled, I will visit prior to making any decisions, I may end up going back to further south in the long run, though I have the soul of a northerner, but, nothings concrete for me at the moment, I'm just in the feeling things out way in advance for now. Really I'd like to avoid any place where they shove bibles in your face.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 AM

3,893 posts, read 1,990,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Well, I think I'll be ok, I'd prefer to be nearer my friend if I so chose to move out that way. I did know it was near I-95, but the fact that I don't drive it shouldn't affect me too much except when I need use Uber and other sources of transit to get around on occasion. Once my friend is settled, I will visit prior to making any decisions, I may end up going back to further south in the long run, though I have the soul of a northerner, but, nothings concrete for me at the moment, I'm just in the feeling things out way in advance for now. Really I'd like to avoid any place where they shove bibles in your face.
What's funny is, I used to get the Mormons and the Seventh Day Adventists all the time when I lived in neighboring King George county, but I haven't seen them at all since I moved into Fredericksburg itself. BTW, staying off I-95 is really pretty easy. I drive Rte. 1 and 2 all the time to avoid the interstate. Rte. 2 southbound to Richmond is especially great; you can get all the way to Mechanicsville with a real minimum of traffic lights (just a couple outside Bowling Green), and the rural scenery is really nice. I also love the convenience of having Uber in the city; I even Ubered to the hospital to get my latest heart stent, which was a real boon for me.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 AM

2,835 posts, read 1,429,479 times
I have family who live in Fredericksburg (they're black) and they are fine. I think white people down there are more friendlier than the super liberal ones in NoVA, honestly. People seem to talk to you and say hi more than they do up towards Arlington/Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or