Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,554 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,
We are looking into moving/relocating to Meadows of Dan or somewhere nearby within the next 2 years (or sooner if by chance some miracle happens). We currently live near the beach in Delaware and it has become quite urban over the past 30 years. We are a family of 4 (2 young children) and have been visiting this area for going on 8 years now. Every year, we have stayed in a different town but have fallen more in love with the general area and the kind locals. We like quiet, not so fast paced, sort of old fashioned values, hunting & fishing and want to raise our children in a great place. Personally, I even feel like I can breathe better when we visit and it never feels right when we leave. What started our visits was an annual family gathering as a few generations before us were from the area.
What I want to know though is what is in the area in the way of jobs/ a career to be able to make a life here? Neither of us have a college education but are willing to work for everything we have. My husband primarily does tree work but is capable of doing many other things as well. I have been an at-home parent for several years but have a background in retail/customer service.
We'd like to make a move and build a life while we are young enough to enjoy it. We also would consider other areas within 1-2 hours of Meadows of Dan. When we travel this year, we plan on looking around but I would like to have some direction beforehand and happened to stumble across this website.
Thank you in advance for your insight! It's more appreciated than you may imagine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:39 AM

Does anyone have any insight for me? Available jobs? Where the best place to look for a rental home is? I'd appreciate any help. Even if just a newspaper or another website to check. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:22 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
This is one of those areas I have seen no one ever post about as it's down there and pretty secluded. Have you tried contacting a chamber of commerce for whatever county that is? I've been to Galax which is pretty close so maybe some idea from someone there?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:26 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,397,795 times
MovinMtns = I know what you mean. I love the Delaware beaches and often visit. I was considering moving there myself but as you point out it's gotten suffocatingly crowded, so traffic, crime and cost of living has shot up too much. Meadows of Dan is a beautiful area and cheaper to live in but jobs down there are pretty thin.

MOD is even closer to Floyd than Galax. If you look in the http://www.city-data.com/forum/roanoke-area/, you will find Floyd mentioned a lot. But again, Floyd is very small, as are most of the towns in that area, so employment opportunities are limited. Given your situation, I suggest you look closer to the larger towns along Interstate 81. Christiansburg/Blacksburg area has malls and a lot of big box stores, if you are looking for a retail job. Radford has a hospital and there are opportunities for jobs with spin off businesses that support it. You might consider branching out into home health care support. Since you said your husband is flexible, I recommend that you keep an eye on https://www.roanoke.com/jobs/. He does tree work? Christmas tree growing is a big business in the area.

You don't have to live too near towns if you don't mind commuting. There are lots of small towns and rural communities throughout the area. They are probably not going to turn urban in your lifetime and maybe that of your kids. Use https://www.zillow.com/homes/patrick-county_rb/ to look at available properties. You can see properties in other counties when you drag your computer mouse around. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
Without either family in the area or lots of cash for a safety net, I'd be reluctant to move to a new area.....hoping to find a job to support my family. The area is full of folks with no particular "in demand" skills, like a trade or healthcare. If I wanted to move to a rural area, I'd first get trained in a career field that is in demand in the area....without that, I'd feel like I was placing my family in a precarious position....but that's just me.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 PM

430 posts, read 283,193 times
Interesting topic. We just spent several days in SW VA scouting places to retire. Some that I thought I would like the best, like Abingdon, weren't that impressive. We just kind of happened on the area near Meadows of Dan and really liked it. We are taking a hard look at that area and Fancy Gap. Although we are an older couple, both of us wouldn't mind working part time. I'm not sure how that would go there, but Galax and Hillsville may have something that interest us. For an area more urban, we really liked Blacksburg. We saw several other places we liked including the more southern parts of Roanoke, but we really want a little higher elevation where the summer highs are not quite as high. The mountain areas of N.C. not far from VA. are pretty nice also. We will be buying a home and that looks promising in the MOD and Fancy Gap areas.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,440 times
Hillsville is nearby and you'll find more job opportunities there and also more for the kids to do. It's a great place! Check it out... If you look it up online you'll probably only find info on the flea market. It's a pretty big deal. The population is close to 3,000 I think, which is a decent sized place for the area. I've visited several times and I like it more every time.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:37 PM

I appreciate all of your responses. While it's been a while, I still check back often. I have been scouring sales listings and jobs in the general area (Patrick, Floyd, Carroll counties and several others surrounding). Since posting this, my in-laws have also decided they want to relocate as well. Our initial focus beyond jobs will be finding a property to rent. If anyone has the name of any papers that would have listings, it would be appreciated. We have a newspaper style booklet that comes out weekly with all types of classified ads but I don't recall seeing anything similar when we have visited out there.
Thank you again for all of your feedback. It is genuinely appreciated.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,397,795 times
https://roanoke.craigslist.org/d/apt...ent/search/apa

https://www.roanoke.com/classifieds/housing/?l=15

Also search www.zillow.com

Last edited by Yac; 11-23-2020 at 05:31 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
If checking CraigsList you might do better with this one:

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/

You might also consider joining the Facebook group for Floyd and see if there are others in the area too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/floydgroup/

Best of luck in finding the perfect place.

There are several tree services in Floyd and if you DH has general handy man skills and some tools and is reliable there would be plenty of work to keep him busy. You wouldn't become millionaires but I believe that you could have a decent, steady income here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia