Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 731 times

Advertisements

Hi by this time next year I want to be living in VA, I will be 40 and moving by myself next year. I have 1 child, now an adult living on their own who will not be coming with me. I'm leaving CT because it's depressing, I feel stuck out here, crime everywhere, just negativity and drama here, and I keep feeling the urge to move to VA. There's so much information on the internet and I'm not sure where to really look. I have my associates in business office technology, I'm currently a receptionist/secretary in a private university, and I'm ready for the change. I want to be able to rent a 1 bedroom house or maybe 2 bedroom for my own office. I'd still like to reside in a diverse area but quiet, clean, affordable, with lots to do when I am not working. Any suggestions as to good places in VA to start over??? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
What do you consider affordable, do you want urban or suburban?

Old 09-16-2019, 04:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Not much to go on. Virginia has its extremes and everything between. Northern Virginia has jobs and growth, but COL is shocking to some. It also has beautiful rural regions, famous universities and wonderful wineries.
Many here able to answer specifics. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Look at Winchester. Private university there (Shenandoah) and cheaper than areas such as Northern Va. Beautiful country outside the city with plenty of mountains. Close enough to Dulles Airport and the DC area without living in the middle of it. Wife and I moved to the Shenandoah Valley 4 years ago and we could not be happier.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
Yari1234

Virginia is a very diverse state. Arlington (Northern Virginia), Abingdon (SW Appalachia), Appomattox (rural midState) and Onancock (Eastern Shore) are all Virginia cities/towns) and the lifestyle, costs, job opportunities, and available actvities run the gamut. As loveautumn points out, you need to put a number on what you consider to be affordable, as that varies widely depending on people's background. And what do you consider to be "diverse"? What do you consider "quiet"? Safe suburban quiet or rural countryside quiet? Do you have a teleworking business that you can run from anywhere or do you need to be able to find a local job quickly? What kind of activities are you looking for? Cultural? Sports? Beaches and boating? Shopping?

Arlington has loads of job opportunities, has a very diverse population, and you will never run out of activities to pursue. It is also crowded, very expensive, and has horrible traffic. Appomattox is quiet, clean, and affordable but has limited job opportunities and limited activities without driving to Lynchburg. Maybe Lynchburg will suit you.

Once you figure out what kind of area you really want, you can use the survey questions in Moving To And Around Virginia to more narrowly target potential properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia