U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

I have been trying for ages to get some information on the Iron Mountain Lutheran Boy's School in Konnarock, from the years of 1936 to 1940. My father was dropped off there as an 11 year old boy after his mother died. I would love to talk to anyone who knows of anyone who attended the school and hear stories about it. My father's name was Harold Barnes, and he was sent there along with his brothers, Howard and Homer. Any news would be greatly appreciated, or else a steer in the right direction to find more information.

Also, my father said he entered a CCC camp in Wythville, VA, in 1940 or 1941 and stayed for six months. He worked on roads and later was made an assistant to the educational director.

I have done online searches and can't find any mention of a CCC camp in that Virginia city. Does anyone know if there was indeed a CCC camp there?
Thanks to any and all who might be able to help me.

Moderator Cut

Sandy

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: posting private e-mail addresses publicly is not recommended; invite to Direct Message instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,724,927 times
Weebiscuit, I have sent you an email concerning the CCC camp at Wytheville.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,964 times
Ridgerunner, I hope you are still here! My computer crashed shortly after I made the post above, and consequently I don't have the information you sent. And here it is, almost three years later, and in doing another websearch on the CCC in Wytheville, I stumble across my own post!

If you have information on the CCC camp there, can you please resend it? I would be very appreciative!

Moderator Cut
Sandy

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: posting private e-mail addresses publicly is not recommended; invite to Direct Message instead

Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,845,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weebiscuit View Post
Ridgerunner, I hope you are still here! My computer crashed shortly after I made the post above, and consequently I don't have the information you sent. And here it is, almost three years later, and in doing another websearch on the CCC in Wytheville, I stumble across my own post!...

Wow, almost three years....

and I thought I had computer troubles!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,854,691 times
Wytheville might be better placed on the VA general forum if you have not already.

Konnarock -- not sure what that is.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,898 times
I know some information about the Wytheville CCC camp. I have been to the site where the footers remain. I also know where a set of doors (like garage door sized) are now located. The camp was located at N 37 00.443 W 081 10.918It is located in woods that have reclaimed the site, near what is now Stony Fork Campground. There is a walking trail that goes within sight of where the camp used to be. I haven't been able to find much history about this CCC camp but I'm still digging. What are you wanting to know specifically?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 PM

I should mention there was another CCC camp also in Wythe County. The Stony Fork camp was north of Wytheville, the other one was near Speedwell and was called "Old Orchard", which is south of Wytheville. However that camp closed around October 1937, so in that case it couldn't have been the one your father was at.

From Wythe County Virginia, a Bicentennial History:

"The Stony Fork camp opened on July 2, 1940, with the arrival of transferees from the camp at Sugar Grove. Twenty-six men were assigned to build the quarters at the camp. The enrollees constructed truck trails, lookout towers, and telephone lines."

Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM

The coordinates I gave in my earlier post were incorrect. I had been told a certain footer was part of the CCC camp but it was not. I visited the actual camp site recently, and many long footers remain, as does drainage pipes and a large stone monument that originally contained a wooden plaque (which is now gone).

This was the last CCC camp to be created in the Jefferson National Forest (the US had begun preparations for WW2, so interest in the entire CCC program waned and was transferred to military).

Here are the correct coordinates, which are about 1/4 mile from the earlier ones I posted:
N 37.00800 W 81.18916

The camp was F-28, Stony Fork, and was part of Company Number 357.

Send me a private message (which I presume will send me an email) and I'll provide more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or