Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 11:03 AM

545 posts, read 513,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do you have links to examples?
Please see #8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
More than likely it's caused by the condition of the home you are viewing. But without knowing where and what you are looking at it's tough to guess.
Please see #8

Old 05-25-2020, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 11,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
what a stunner !!!!

The houses I have been looking at (online only) seem to be in pretty good shape, yes many of them on an historic registry, but I am perfectly willing and would want to keep them up to their original beauty

These houses are almost like living creatures you need to nurture and love
Yeah I love that home, and the house in Saxe you posted is literally on my dream house list. I love it so much and it looks really updated in the right ways. I literally thought I was the only person looking for these old farm houses to restore and live in and I'm happy to see there are people like you that want to preserve the history of these beautiful buildings in rural areas.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:23 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
[quote=Csonka;58199781]Here are two examples that are a fair representation of what I am talking about.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-60726?view=qv

This one has been on the market for years, I recall seeing it listed at least 3 years ago., at the same price. It does seem to be a fantastic bargain.....like you, I wonder why ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-25-2020, 07:24 PM

[quote=gemstone1;58201744]
Quote:
Here are two examples that are a fair representation of what I am talking about.

This one has been on the market for years, I recall seeing it listed at least 3 years ago., at the same price. It does seem to be a fantastic bargain.....like you, I wonder why ?

Regards
Gemstone1
I may take a trip and scout some of these out

Old 05-26-2020, 06:59 AM

1,710 posts, read 806,708 times
Big supply
Low demand

Old 05-26-2020, 11:03 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
Quote:
Here are two examples that are a fair representation of what I am talking about.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-41544?view=qv
Thank you for sharing, those properties are exquisite. But, as I learned by living for many years in a 250+ year old historic property, such are full of hidden maintenance issues and typically cost a fortune in utilities since they are hard to cool/heat, have hidden issues such as settling, rot and pest damage, and result in decades-outdated electrical and plumbing system issues. If I were much younger, far wealthier, and fully confident of being able to access services and essential health care as needed, I would be totally all over these.

For me, these listings are vicarious eye candy that give me a heart pang.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Please see #8
Thanks. Saw them.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Thank you for sharing, those properties are exquisite. But, as I learned by living for many years in a 250+ year old historic property, such are full of hidden maintenance issues and typically cost a fortune in utilities since they are hard to cool/heat, have hidden issues such as settling, rot and pest damage, and result in decades-outdated electrical and plumbing system issues. If I were much younger, far wealthier, and fully confident of being able to access services and essential health care as needed, I would be totally all over these.

For me, these listings are vicarious eye candy that give me a heart pang.
I was also considering those issues

Now some of the ones I listed may not meet all of the criteria I have and I was only quickly looking for something to show you all to give you an idea of what kinds of houses I was talking about.

Things I am looking for are:

1) Does it have central HVAC. A lot of them do. The one's that don't I most likely wouldn't consider.

2) Updated kitchen. If yes, and yes to central HVAC, my hunch is the owners did quit a bit of new electrical work and added new gas lines.

3) Roof and exterior paint condition. Last thing I want to do is break my leg climbing a ladder 3 floors up to paint frilly woodwork lol. That said, all of these details in the wood = a huge paint ob when you need one. So I am looking toward brick or stones places too.

4) Two staircases. For some reason, that is important to me, a main one and a secret one in the back that most likely used to be the maid's. Just think that's cool.

5) Separate guest residence

6) Room for a tennis court. Ideally there would be a nice big barn I could put one in for a semi indoor court. If not, I will have to have a court put in. I know it snows up there and the weather isn't ideal for tennis, but in the spring and summer and some of the fall I can be out there whacking balls.

That's mostly it. Yep, they are certainly eye candy !!!!!

One other thing: maybe shy away from anything on a historical registry. I have dealt with them in California and you are limited in what you can do to the exterior, sort of like an HOA with restrictions on paint colors, exterior work, etc.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Why?

Well, compared to California, for starters....

But then....

Old.

Cost a fortune to heat and cool.

Cost a fortune to maintain.

People with the money and interest in a similar home will build from scratch so they have a modern home, even if it "looks" like a classic.

Younger buyers have no interest in yesteryear. They want a new house with a smattering of crown molding, stainless steel appliances, and a granite countertop. Gives them something to brag about. Even if it falls apart in ten years. Tract builders LOVE these buyers.

Bottom line: money pits (antiques) which appeal to a limited selection of potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia